Northern Lights

debnjoe1438

So many threads about this already - search Aurora as well as the phrase "northern lights" and you'll find dozens, many quite recent. But basically what's been said already is true - even if there's enough solar activity, you need to have darkness and clear skies. September gives more darkness than May, but more clouds, so neither are optimal. Factor in that you're not really that far North when cruising, that there are always lights on the ship, and even if there is some aurora activity happening you'll be very, VERY lucky to see it at all. even if you stay awake through the wee small hours nightly it's very unlikely to happen for you so should not even be considered as a relevant factor in when you choose to cruise - just a really rare Nice To Have.

Icelandair have non-stop Orlando flights - spend at least a winter long weekend up there and you'll have a good chance of seeing the Aurora.

Just curious, can the northern lights be seen on a cruise ship in late September?

If you really want to see aurora, go to Fairbanks in March (hopefully when the Ice Carving Festival is on), head north and stay for a week outside of the city where it is really dark. Time your trip for when there is little or no moon or when some interesting planets are in the sky or better yet both. That is what I did.

Basically seeing aurora and cruising are contradictory goals. I did get to see aurora once in late August of a small ship where they turned off all the lights so that we f could see them. Even with that, compared to my winter aurora trip, it was hardly worth getting out of bed to see them.

DON

We sailed late September 2016 and were treated by a wake up call over the cabin speaker from the captain to head out on deck as the Northern Lights were visible. The captain turned off the outside lights for better viewing.

I understand we were pretty lucky. We got to see so much on our trip. So much wildlife too, it was a treat to be on that last cruise of the season, the captain really seemed to make a extra special effort, often announcing he was doing this or that since it was the last cruise.

• 7 months later...
Hi, in 91 took my first cruise to Alaska in mid Sept, an in Haines while on a tour, it was a clear night, and got to see them, an had a great show later that night.:D

Hi, looking for info on which ship to sail on in mid September 2018 to try and see the Northern Lights. Can you help at all?

Outback-aussie

Hi, looking for info on which ship to sail on in mid September 2018 to try and see the Northern Lights. Can you help at all?

Outback-aussie

IF aurora is a priority, then I only suggest a northbound trip AND adding at least another week for mainland, getting to Denali and north for several days.

It's only going to be a rare chance you will see anything from a cruise ship. Simply very rare.

We have just returned from our cruise - we sailed from Vancouver 25th Sept - we saw the northern lights 3 nights running - 27, 28 and 29th - we were so surprised - it was amazing. To get the best view you have to 'cup' your race to cut out the light around you. We also saw whales 'bubble netting' as we left Glacier bay - we had outstanding weather - rain in Juneau - so we just did the Cable car then spent the afternoon in the pub!! But the rest of the 10 day cruise just got sunnier and warmer - it was amazing.

We did an amazing tour with Chilkoot tours in Skayway - the weather was amazing

This may show how good that day was.

Enjoy your cruise