Do it yourself Alaska cruisetour

SnowBird Cruzer

HI, DW and I had such fun on our first Alaskan cruise for our 30th anniversary, that we are planning on going back for our 35th anniversary in 2018. We really want to do a cruise-tour this time.But adding that on really adds to the cost.

After reading an article on CC, I am interested in a do it yourself cruise-tour.

We were planning on a 4 day cruise-tour, and we want to spend most of it in Denali. I'm looking for all kinds of advice and suggestions. We could rent an RV, or a car and stay at places near Denali. We'd like to do some hiking. More interested in seeing nature than touristy spots.

For example, on last cruise, in Skagway we took White Pass Railway and then a 5 mile hike to a glacier. In Ketchikan, we rented a car and visited two state parks, saw salmon swimming upstream, and visited Totem Bight State park.

I've started doing some basic research. I've found some nice looking places to stay at near Denali, and some excursions/hikes/bike rides/kayak trips already.

I've got lots of questions, and some might seem minor. Such as:

What about taking the train? How do I get from airport to train station? How far is it from train station in Seward to the ship? How is taxi service?

If I'm going to talk DW into a do it yourself, I'll need to have my ducks in a row.

I appreciate all info.

• Like 1

I think DIY is a great way to see Southcentral & Interior Alaska after a cruise.

For getting to Denali: my vote is a rental car. The train follows the same route as the highway, so the view are the same. And then once you get to the Denali area, having the rental car gives you more flexibility in lodging and dining. Here's a good list of lodging in the Denali area: http://www.a1cms.com/_dcc/accommodations/ For getting into the park, here's the details for the shuttle: https://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/shuttles.htm

If you are set on a train ride, the train from Seward to Anchorage is scenic.

Although it hasn’t been updated for 2017 yet, the Denali Life app is good. Free download. Includes Denali area events, restaurants, shuttle bus schedule around hotels and the entrance although not the shuttle schedules into the park.

http://denalilife.mobapp.at/landing/Desktop#.WFRzQlzArJo

You might enjoy the Mt Healy Overlook Trail hike near the park entrance.

https://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/overlook.htm

Although it’s a bit of a deviation from Denali, Matanuska Glacier is the most easily accessible in the state. Two hours north of Anchorage. From the parking lot you’re on the glacier in about 10 minutes. It can be done in one day.

I also think renting a car is the way to go. The drive is as scenic as the train would be, and you get a lot of flexibility that way.

We stayed at this place http://www.mckinleycabins.com/ and just loved it. We had one of the little Creekside cabins. There's a small restaurant on the premises that has really yummy food.

Either on the way out or on the way back from Denali, you should stop off at Talkeetna and eat at the Talkeetna Roadhouse. It's definitely interesting. And they have blubarb pie. Blueberry/rhubarb. Delicious.

I would not rent an RV for just 4 days unless you drive one at home all the time. I would suggest splurging and getting an SUV so that you have plenty of room.

If you haven't been on the train, IMO you should use that as your transport method, but a lot of people will disagree. It does take a lot more time than a car, and with a car you do have more freedom. I would suggest stretching it to seven days if you can swing it. Maybe spend four in Denali, one in Anchorage, do a day trip for a glacier cruise from Whittier, or Seward. If you go to Seward there are plenty of hikes, in fact there are plenty of hikes anywhere you go.

Check trip adviser for more suggestions

Since you indicated you will be spending time in Vancouver afterwards, I am assuming that you will be flying into Anchorage, renting a car to visit Denali and then heading to Seward to catch the ship. You could rent a car in Anchorage, see Denali, then catch the train from Anchorage to Seward. The only trouble is that the train leaves around 6 a.m. and arrives in Seward around 1:30, if I recall correctly. So a suggestion: Rent car at Anchorage airport and return it the night before your ship sails. Spend that night at Comfort Inn in Ship Creek which provides free airport shuttles as well as being only a few blocks from the train station. From the Comfort Inn, you can easily walk to the Anchorage museum (their collection of native artifacts is fascinating) and also Club Paris downtown for a delicious dinner (need reservations, though). Take train the next morning to Seward.

Since you indicated you will be spending time in Vancouver afterwards, I am assuming that you will be flying into Anchorage, renting a car to visit Denali and then heading to Seward to catch the ship. You could rent a car in Anchorage, see Denali, then catch the train from Anchorage to Seward. The only trouble is that the train leaves around 6 a.m. and arrives in Seward around 1:30, if I recall correctly. So a suggestion: Rent car at Anchorage airport and return it the night before your ship sails. Spend that night at Comfort Inn in Ship Creek which provides free airport shuttles as well as being only a few blocks from the train station. From the Comfort Inn, you can easily walk to the Anchorage museum (their collection of native artifacts is fascinating) and also Club Paris downtown for a delicious dinner (need reservations, though). Take train the next morning to Seward.

You must have been reading my mind! I was just wondering how to get from Anchorage to Seward for the cruise. Is usually an extra expense to return car to different city than pick up. I'd love to take the train for part of the trip

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

4 days is a very short time for an add on visit of mainland Alaska, so I suggest you might want to do some more reading on various areas of Alaska, which may have been over looked and be certain you spend your time to your best advantage. Yes, certainly "Denali and Seward" are highlights- but so are countless other areas that are gems in Alaska, that many people simply miss. It is a huge area. :)

A RV rental for 4 days is a lacking choice and so would be the train, in my opinion. It is not an efficient use of time. RV pick ups/drop offs, many times center around mid day and are restrictive.

A car rental is the most efficient use of time in Alaska and offers far more opportunities for meals, activities and lodging. Not sure- if you want to use your "time" waiting for shuttle buses or have reduced selections? (without a car rental will involve).

You must have been reading my mind! I was just wondering how to get from Anchorage to Seward for the cruise. Is usually an extra expense to return car to different city than pick up. I'd love to take the train for part of the trip

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

If your cruise-ship leaves from Seward and you want to see the area around Seward (including Exit Glacier and take a Kenai fjord cruise) you could take the train from Anchorage to Seward two days before cruise departure, and spend a night in Seward. I had been worried that a Kenai fjord cruise would be redundant after a seven day cruise, but we saw so much marine life in Kenai, including a big pod of orcas. Since this was early September, the salmon were running in Seward and the shoreline was crowded with fishermen as well as sea lions and seals patrolling off shore.

Edited by lynncarol

is there a train that stops first in Whitter then goes on to Seward from there?

No, a separate train goes to Whittier and then on to Spencer Glacier and Grandview before returning. It actually covers the most scenic section of the same route to Seward but doesn’t go all the way.

My husband and I really enjoyed the train ride down to Seward. Yes, it leaves early in the morning, but we are early risers anyway. Also, at least on our train, there was an employee who announced passing attractions over the loudspeaker. She pointed out Beluga whales in the bay, and a moose in full retreat off the tracks which we would have never noticed on our own.

My husband and I really enjoyed the train ride down to Seward. Yes, it leaves early in the morning, but we are early risers anyway. Also, at least on our train, there was an employee who announced passing attractions over the loudspeaker. She pointed out Beluga whales in the bay, and a moose in full retreat off the tracks which we would have never noticed on our own.

The trains are always narrated.

As an alternative we are using Alaska Cruise Transportation from the airport to Seward. It is a bus and in our case it leaves the airport at 2:30 p.m. Cost for 4 adults $180.00 plus tax. We have a busy land tour schedule and it will be nice to sleep in and relax the morning of the cruise. It will cut into drinking time, but we won't have any trouble catching up.

We are facing the same situation as you are. We've been on the Alaska cruise but now want to do the land. We've been looking at the Land & Sea tours offered through various cruise lines and they are very pricey. So, we've thought of only doing the land this time and are interested in what you've found and various activities you've found that are a good deal. If you would be willing to share these in an email to me, I would be most appreciative: toniann17@cox.net

Also, I've wondering if you've done various cruise line comparisons and what you found. We went on Royal the last time and have looked at Celebrity this time, but lots of people are telling us to do Princess. Any thoughts?

When we do the land, we'd like to go all the way up to Fairbanks and do the Discovery Boat. Since this may be the last time we get to go up there, we would like to see as much as we can. We'd be in favor of renting a car, but with all the wild life, are we more at risk to run into wild life on the road? My hubby seems to think that may be a problem. Maybe if we do part by train, that would satisfy him.

So excited to see more of Alaska!

We'd be in favor of renting a car, but with all the wild life, are we more at risk to run into wild life on the road? My hubby seems to think that may be a problem. Maybe if we do part by train, that would satisfy him.

There's always a chance of wildlife on the road... But in summer, in the daylight the chance of actually hitting something is pretty slim. I'd say very slim. You'd probably be more likely getting hit by another tourist staring at the scenery and not watching the road.

We are facing the same situation as you are. We've been on the Alaska cruise but now want to do the land. We've been looking at the Land & Sea tours offered through various cruise lines and they are very pricey. So, we've thought of only doing the land this time and are interested in what you've found and various activities you've found that are a good deal. If you would be willing to share these in an email to me, I would be most appreciative: toniann17@cox.net

Also, I've wondering if you've done various cruise line comparisons and what you found. We went on Royal the last time and have looked at Celebrity this time, but lots of people are telling us to do Princess. Any thoughts?

When we do the land, we'd like to go all the way up to Fairbanks and do the Discovery Boat. Since this may be the last time we get to go up there, we would like to see as much as we can. We'd be in favor of renting a car, but with all the wild life, are we more at risk to run into wild life on the road? My hubby seems to think that may be a problem. Maybe if we do part by train, that would satisfy him.

So excited to see more of Alaska!

Sure I will send you what I have. I'll need a few days, so please be patient.

I'm going to stick with Royal for this one. We just became Diamond level with them, and this will give us a few perks. The cruise is expensive enough, I want to get all the perks I can. After this cruise, then I'll start looking at others. Celebrity is part of the Royal family, and I can get perks there too. But they don't have a climbing wall, or a flow rider. I like that stuff!

4 days is a very short time for an add on visit of mainland Alaska, so I suggest you might want to do some more reading on various areas of Alaska, which may have been over looked and be certain you spend your time to your best advantage. Yes, certainly "Denali and Seward" are highlights- but so are countless other areas that are gems in Alaska, that many people simply miss. It is a huge area. :)

A RV rental for 4 days is a lacking choice and so would be the train, in my opinion. It is not an efficient use of time. RV pick ups/drop offs, many times center around mid day and are restrictive.

A car rental is the most efficient use of time in Alaska and offers far more opportunities for meals, activities and lodging. Not sure- if you want to use your "time" waiting for shuttle buses or have reduced selections? (without a car rental will involve).

4 days is what I would have done as a cruise line cruise tour, and with a few days in Vancouver at the end, I'm just about at my 2 week limit. I know there will be things I'll miss. Everywhere I've gone, there are things I've missed.

I appreciate the info, I'm pretty sure, already, that we'll be renting a car.