Malaria pills for Tanzania?

alidor

We are going for a safari next year in Tanzania and were wondering about malaria pills. Would you take them? We have been all over the world and see people get this shot, that shot, etc. and that is definitely NOT us and we have been fine, but I've read quite a few posts about taking the pills for Tanzania. Any advice?

I have recently checked for Zanzibar and, if my memory is correct it looks like anti malarials are recommended. You will need to check though for that and also other things. If a yellow fever certificate is needed you may not be able to travel to the country in the first place if you do not have one.

There are four malarial parasites and what specific drugs are recommended depend on which parasite(s) are present in the area. In the past I know the one which causes the most serious illness (death a common outcome) was present in Africa and the Amazon basin, but not in all other areas at risk of malaria. It is your choice if you want to take that risk. The other point is that if you do not take the recommended precautions your insurance will not pay up if you contract the disease concerned, which means you or your relatives take on the risk of being presented with a bill for medical treatment and possibly repatriation.

Not saying what you should or should not do, but I can tell you what happened to my wife:

We took an anti-malarial as we started our trip to Indonesia. We planned a several-day stopover in Tokyo, and while there, my wife became extremely ill, which we attributed to the anti-malarial.

We ended up having to cancel the Indonesia travel, and we needed to stay in that hotel room a week longer than expected. During most of that time, my wife was battling a fever and I nursed her back to health. It was not fun at all, in fact, it was pure hell.

We are not people who usually get shots and/or take medications if not absolutely needed, but we are doing a Safari in So. Africa next year, and will do what the CDC recommends which is a Hep A shot, a Thyphoid shot, and Malaria pills. It is not what we want to do, but we will do it. I have read about some Malaria medications causing people to become ill, but many do not.

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from a 3 week trip to South Africa, Zimbabwe and Botswana. I was current on all of my shots, but took anti-malarial (Malarone) for the first time. I was leery of side effects, but had no effects from it and could not tell I was taking anything new.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The trouble with checking with the CDC is that they go overboard. I believe that if you check with them for the US, it will give you some type of warning - totally unnecessary.

I do frequently use the CDC web site. I find it very helpful and should say Malaria Vaccine be required it will discuss the different options available.

I also have a book that they publish (for a few) called CDC Yellow Book which is updated annually. Have found it to be an excellent resource.

Keith

and should say Malaria Vaccine be required

Keith

Very strange indeed, considering there is no such thing!

It would be far better if everyone took the advice for their country and have a word with a health professional if they wish to vary from that, so they can make any decision in full knowledge of the facts, rather than what some other people like to think.

When we went to Kenya and Tanzania we did get all the recommended shots and did take anti-malarial pills; I think malazone? or something like that. We luckily did not have any side effects. We were not willing to risk malaria, but of course this depends on your comfort level.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been to South Africa, Tanzania and Zanzibar. I attempted to take malaria pills. They made me so sick that I couldn't function. (nausea and vomiting). So, in my case I had to use insect repellent and hope for the best. We found that in South Africa, we didn't need malaria pills at all because we were there during the dry winter and there were not any mosquitos. We were in Tanzania during July/August as well and found that we did not encounter mosquitoes there either. We did encounter tsetse flies though. Lots and lots of them. They can carry African sleeping sickness and their bite is very painful. Even if you do take malaria pills, you will still want to treat your clothing with something like permetherin and use deet wipes. Also stick with light colored clothing because they are attracted to dark colors. They can even bite through your shoes if they have any fabric on them. We did encounter a lot of mosquitoes in Zanzibar though. I suggest at least trying to take the malaria pills, but definitely take other precautions for insects as if you didn't have them.

We are going for a safari next year in Tanzania and were wondering about malaria pills. Would you take them? We have been all over the world and see people get this shot, that shot, etc. and that is definitely NOT us and we have been fine, but I've read quite a few posts about taking the pills for Tanzania. Any advice?

My wife and I lived in Tanzania for eight years. It's not practical to take malaria prophylactics for that length of time so we simply took precautions - long sleeves, deet, mosquito nets etc. We both contracted malaria once each - it's not fun! We will be returning to Tanzania for a safari vacation in 2020 and will not hesitate to take Malarone (we have taken Larium but both had a bad reaction to it the same goes for Doxycycline which is also sometimes prescribed as a prophylactic). The Anopheles mosquito in Tanzania can be a vector for cerebral malaria which, if not properly treated, will result in death. The main problem that travellers have is that they may contract the disease during their visit but not exhibit any symptoms until they return home. Medical practitioners in non malaria areas may not immediately diagnose malaria and the resultant delay in treatment can be very serious. Take the pills and take precautions to minimize the risk of being bitten and you'll have a wonderful time in a beautiful country. One final word of warning, if you do get bitten don't be too concerned. Not all mosquitos carry the parasite that causes the disease. However, if you start to experience flu like symptoms on your return home insist that your doctor has your blood checked immediately.

• 1 month later...
My wife and I lived in Tanzania for eight years. It's not practical to take malaria prophylactics for that length of time so we simply took precautions - long sleeves, deet, mosquito nets etc. We both contracted malaria once each - it's not fun! We will be returning to Tanzania for a safari vacation in 2020 and will not hesitate to take Malarone (we have taken Larium but both had a bad reaction to it the same goes for Doxycycline which is also sometimes prescribed as a prophylactic). The Anopheles mosquito in Tanzania can be a vector for cerebral malaria which, if not properly treated, will result in death. The main problem that travellers have is that they may contract the disease during their visit but not exhibit any symptoms until they return home. Medical practitioners in non malaria areas may not immediately diagnose malaria and the resultant delay in treatment can be very serious. Take the pills and take precautions to minimize the risk of being bitten and you'll have a wonderful time in a beautiful country. One final word of warning, if you do get bitten don't be too concerned. Not all mosquitos carry the parasite that causes the disease. However, if you start to experience flu like symptoms on your return home insist that your doctor has your blood checked immediately.

This is very sage advice, especially about if you experience flu like symptoms after returning to ensure your doctor is aware that you have recently travelled to a malarious area.

• 3 weeks later...

We have taken Malarone while on safari in Botswana and Tanzania. Best taken after you've eaten and NOT on an empty stomach to avoid nausea, Seek the advice from a travel doctor who has the resources to check the conditions in the countries you will be visiting.We're not fans of over medicating but as previously stated, Malaria is a nasty disease that you want to avoid, We are doing a cruise with ports in many countries (including Tanzania) with malaria present so we will be taking Malarone for nearly 30 days:eek:

• 5 weeks later...

At the advice of our physician we went to the International Health medical office and the PA we saw had what was recommended for the countries we were visiting in Africa, and we followed that advice. We did the same thing prior to traveling in South America.

The OP asked a question and has received a variety of responses. Ultimately they will make their own decision.

Asking for medical advice from strangers on a website is really not a wise thing to do IMHO.

I have been on a month long mission trip to Tanzania twice. The first time I attempted to take malaria pills but they upset my normally iron stomach so much I stopped taking them a few days in. My second trip I didn’t take them at all. That said I did take garlic pills which I have found to be helpful here in the states when camping and such where mosquitoes are prevalent. The missionaries we visited that live there year round can’t take them of course because they aren’t meant for long term use. He grew up in Tanzania as a missionary kid and has only gotten malaria once, but that once he nearly died. It’s a pretty personal decision as to weather the risks outweigh the side effects. Enjoy Tanzania! It’s such a beautiful country and the people are amazing! It’s a trip you won’t forget! I’d go back in a heartbeat!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums