Panama Canal - when to go

TMS9539

We are planning a full transit cruise on Princess. Possible dates are Nov 20 - Dec 6, or Jan 21 - Feb 4. According to my research January is better weather-wise. However, the price for the November date is $900 per person less than leaving in January. My question is: Is the weather in January $900 per person better? If it's going to pour rain all day for the entire cruise then we'll pay the extra money and go in January. But if we're looking at some showers and maybe a few rainy days I think I would rather take the savings and go in November. (Plus it's sooner!!). I get really conflicting reports researching on the internet, so would love some feedback from the experts on cruise critic. Thanks.

If I were going to on a Canal cruise based only on the weather, I would give an edge to the January date. However you mentioned 900 reasons pp to go in November! Officially the Dry Season starts the third week in December, the weather at that time in November is trending drier. Rain that time a year is more likely to be the brief shower type, so it is unlikely your day at the Canal would be a wash out.

My last couple of full transits have been in the early November time frame and rain has not been a significant problem on any of the cruises.

I went in November three years ago and am planning for December this year. $900pp is too rich for my blood and a $2000 price difference for both of us would probably mean I wouldn't go. My day in the Canal was hot, humid and totally fine. Panama is a rainforest and equatorial - so always hot and humid. November sees an average of 13 days of precipitation versus 3 in January. I am a gambling woman, so it's worth it for me to save the extra money. Other's opinions will likely be very different.