Help Me Choose! Princess, Celebrity, or P&O

crewsgirl

We are interested in visiting Australia/NZ (which is a huge bucket list item for me) and I am starting to research all available options, but would love to hear recommendations from seasoned cruisers. Definitely have to hit Sydney, Melbourne, and all the great scenic places in New Zealand....we are young, active 60s, enjoy fine dining but certainly are not food snobs, prefer a verandah cabin, but we are most interested in a port intensive itinerary with nice floating accommodations for a decent price. We have sailed on HAL, RCCL, Princess, & a Viking river cruise, but I am not familiar with the best way to book this trip. I should mention that I might like to try Celebrity cruise line as well. Should we use our US TA? Or, book with one there in AUS? Any other advantages/disadvantages I should know about. We are thinking probably Jan. 2019. Is January the best month to visit? If not then, when would you suggest? I would like to avoid typhoon/earthquake season if possible. :eek: Ideas on what to pack for Jan. there welcome as well.

I appreciate all information and opinions and thank you in advance.

Stick with either Princess or celebrity for NZ itineraries who cater more for your age group. Princess offer 13-14 night trips from both Melbourne and Sydney at that time of year. While P&O offer South Pacific itineraries from both ports but you will find that P&O generally attract a younger demographic of passengers. If you subscribe to both companies websites you will see what they are offering in the way of itineraries and deals.

Good luck with this.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

January is a fine time to visit NZ or Sydney/Melbourne, even the Gold Coast.

Probably not ideal for the far north of Australia as it may be quite humid then.

I would say any time Jan-April is good for Melbourne.

We have twice toured NZ (in Jan & Feb) and it was excellent both times. Be prepared for some cooler weather occasionally even in summer though, especially in the South Island and in Melbourne, where it can be changeable.

We have cruised twice with Princess and they were fine. Twice with P&O. Once was good, once was not so good. Both times I felt the actual P&O ship was about 2 stars down from Princess, although our cabins were a better lay out (just a little more tired looking). The beds were very comfortable on P&O though, must admit. The dining on our last cruise with them was hopeless, worst I have struck ever, anywhere-as in over an hour's wait for entrée to arrive.

P&O, unlike Princess, also don't have a buffet open all day so you can't just pop in when you feel like it. Well, you can if you want a tea or coffee but no snack to go with it.

I have a friend who swears by the English P&O ships but the Australian ones are a whole different ball game, so much so that when I see a cruise is with P&O, it turns me off.

There is a younger feel to the P&O crowd although ages are mixed. That never worried me in the least but the quality of the ship itself & meals just wasn't on a par. I haven't tried other cruise lines but I would personally put P&O at the bottom of my list.

Stick with either Princess or celebrity for NZ itineraries who cater more for your age group. Princess offer 13-14 night trips from both Melbourne and Sydney at that time of year. While P&O offer South Pacific itineraries from both ports but you will find that P&O generally attract a younger demographic of passengers. If you subscribe to both companies websites you will see what they are offering in the way of itineraries and deals.

Good luck with this.

Okay, good to know! We will hang with the old folks, haha :*:*

January is a fine time to visit NZ or Sydney/Melbourne, even the Gold Coast.

Probably not ideal for the far north of Australia as it may be quite humid then.

I would say any time Jan-April is good for Melbourne.

We have twice toured NZ (in Jan & Feb) and it was excellent both times. Be prepared for some cooler weather occasionally even in summer though, especially in the South Island and in Melbourne, where it can be changeable.

We have cruised twice with Princess and they were fine. Twice with P&O. Once was good, once was not so good. Both times I felt the actual P&O ship was about 2 stars down from Princess, although our cabins were a better lay out (just a little more tired looking). The beds were very comfortable on P&O though, must admit. The dining on our last cruise with them was hopeless, worst I have struck ever, anywhere-as in over an hour's wait for entrée to arrive.

P&O, unlike Princess, also don't have a buffet open all day so you can't just pop in when you feel like it. Well, you can if you want a tea or coffee but no snack to go with it.

I have a friend who swears by the English P&O ships but the Australian ones are a whole different ball game, so much so that when I see a cruise is with P&O, it turns me off.

There is a younger feel to the P&O crowd although ages are mixed. That never worried me in the least but the quality of the ship itself & meals just wasn't on a par. I haven't tried other cruise lines but I would personally put P&O at the bottom of my list.

Thanks so much for the response. P&O just plummeted to the bottom of my list. ;p I think I am going to be comparing Princess/Celebrity/HAL although I have read that the Noordam is tired also and headed for dry dock.

We usually prefer to do our own independent shore explorations. Do you find that is rather easy in the NZ ports? I definitely want to enjoy the fabulous NZ Sauvignon Blanc wines from the Marlborough region. Is that possible on these cruises?

I definitely want to enjoy the fabulous NZ Sauvignon Blanc wines from the Marlborough region. Is that possible on these cruises?

If you want to visit the Marlborough Region , look for a cruise that has PICTON on its itinerary.

The ship will probably have tours available and a google search will give many private wine tours .

If you want to visit the Marlborough Region , look for a cruise that has PICTON on its itinerary.

The ship will probably have tours available and a google search will give many private wine tours .

I second this.

I did a terrific private tour from Picton to the Marlborough wine region in 2014. A brilliant day out at various vineyards.

Also have to agree with previously noted sentiments about P&O Aus. A definite step down in onboard amenity - they’ve become quite similar to a low cost airline where you’re forced to pay additionally onboard for things like snacks and room service, and even some production shows.

As for time of year, January is our school holiday season, so I would suggest a more relaxing cruise environment might be enjoyed nearer the end of the month. Most schools will restart around the 28th of the month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can return cruise to NZ from either Sydney, Melbourne or Brisbane. But be aware in your research that some cruises are one way and terminate in NZ (handy for return flight to USA, mainly Solstice or Radiance).

January 2019 has RCI - Radiance and Ovation,

Princess - Sun, Sea, Golden and Majestic. Also Azamara Quest, Celebrity Solstice and Carnival Spirit. All have different itineraries. The Sounds are beautiful as is most of NZ.

Personal choices - Magestic Princess - new ship,

Ovation of the Seas or Celebrity Solstice. Couldn't see a HAL NZ cruise at that time on the oz site that I sometimes use.

NZ weather can be a little unpredictable - so summer clothes with some jackets, jeans or long pants. Mostly Australia will be warm to hot.

OHHHH, thanks for this info. Celebrity Solstice is looking better! There are several choices that include Picton. It is now on my radar.

I second this.

I did a terrific private tour from Picton to the Marlborough wine region in 2014. A brilliant day out at various vineyards.

Also have to agree with previously noted sentiments about P&O Aus. A definite step down in onboard amenity - they’ve become quite similar to a low cost airline where you’re forced to pay additionally onboard for things like snacks and room service, and even some production shows.

As for time of year, January is our school holiday season, so I would suggest a more relaxing cruise environment might be enjoyed nearer the end of the month. Most schools will restart around the 28th of the month.

Hmmm, more good info to consider....I believe I can find one around the time all the kids will be headed back to school for sure! Now, to make sure we don't have a schedule collision with the US Ski Vacay that our adult kids like to take whilst we conduct Camp Mimi & Grandpa! Decisions, Decisions! ;p;p

You can return cruise to NZ from either Sydney, Melbourne or Brisbane. But be aware in your research that some cruises are one way and terminate in NZ (handy for return flight to USA, mainly Solstice or Radiance).

January 2019 has RCI - Radiance and Ovation,

Princess - Sun, Sea, Golden and Majestic. Also Azamara Quest, Celebrity Solstice and Carnival Spirit. All have different itineraries. The Sounds are beautiful as is most of NZ.

Personal choices - Magestic Princess - new ship,

Ovation of the Seas or Celebrity Solstice. Couldn't see a HAL NZ cruise at that time on the oz site that I sometimes use.

NZ weather can be a little unpredictable - so summer clothes with some jackets, jeans or long pants. Mostly Australia will be warm to hot.

I am thinking fly into Sydney and enjoy the city for a few days while we are fresh and excited, and then, fly home from Auckland. We are usually whipped at the end of vacay.and ready to head home. I like the option to fly out of a different city and not have to back track.

Would you prefer to start in Sydney or NZ? Any advantages/disadvantages I should be aware of?

I wanted to see Melbourne, but between Melbourne and Hobart, which is most interesting with lots of things to do/see?

And I just added RCL to my spreadsheet! Good info, and thanks so much. :*

Just a suggestion but sometimes cruise lines do cruises to Australian ports. If you timed it right you could fly into Sydney or Melbourne and do a cruise to Hobart or Adelaide ect and then finish in Sydney before your next cruise.

Hobart and Melbourne are two very different places.

Melbourne could be likened to Sydney in that it’s a major Australian metropolis. It does have a love affair with its food and coffee culture, but you’ll find this in Sydney too.

Hobart is small, town-like and intimate. Quite cute, lots of little shops and stores and public gathering spaces, especially along their waterfront. They’re also at the foot of national park, with lots of scenic areas high up Mt Wellington and in between.

Lots to do in either place.

Melbourne is a great city to explore but Hobart has more of a quaint historic feel and is that little bit easier to see (smaller). It really would go to what you would like to see or do when in port. Check out Trip advisor and just look at the top ten things to see and do and then compare with both places and go from there.

I have since seen a HAL cruise on Noordam, one way Sydney to Auckland that visits Melbourne and Hobart. Haven't cruised on Noordam but have been on Volendam. Older and smaller ship, mostly older cruisers but nice and helpful crew.

The Solstice (one way Sydney to Auckland cruises) visits Melbourne on one cruise and Hobart on another. The first cruise leaves on Jan 4, so a few days in Sydney before, you would see the terrific New Year Eve fireworks on Sydney Harbour and Sydney Harbour bridge (along with several million others!). Would have to plan well in advance as city hotel accommodation would be scarce and expensive then.

Personally, I would fly into Sydney and have a couple of days sightseeing and adjusting to the time zone and return from Auckland but it would narrow your choices.

Any questions you need answering just ask as this is a very friendly and sometimes very humorous forum.

Have fun researching your cruise.

Hobart and Melbourne are two very different places.

Melbourne could be likened to Sydney in that it’s a major Australian metropolis. It does have a love affair with its food and coffee culture, but you’ll find this in Sydney too.

Hobart is small, town-like and intimate. Quite cute, lots of little shops and stores and public gathering spaces, especially along their waterfront. They’re also at the foot of national park, with lots of scenic areas high up Mt Wellington and in between.

Lots to do in either place.

Now, you have made me pay attention! Hobart sounds lovely. Maybe that would be a good option! Thanks for the info.

Melbourne is a great city to explore but Hobart has more of a quaint historic feel and is that little bit easier to see (smaller). It really would go to what you would like to see or do when in port. Check out Trip advisor and just look at the top ten things to see and do and then compare with both places and go from there.

Hobart might be a welcome stop after a few days in Sydney and yes, I love TripAdvisor and use that source as a cross reference when we plan.

I will throw in two cents about the ships. I have been on 24 cruises since 2000 on Carnival, Celebrity, Norwegian, Princess, and Royal Caribbean. Celebrity is my favorite cruise line as the service and onboard activities seem better to me. The Celebrity Solstice is one of my favorite ships. Been on her many times to Alaska. I have to say though that I am doing a transpacific cruise on RCCL next spring since the timing was best for us.

There is one cruise - Radiance of the Seas departing Melbourne on 23rd Feb 2019 going to the South Island of NZ (including Picton) and then continuing on to Sydney.

I thought there was one going the other way ie Sydney to Melbourne via NZ but I can't find it.

You guys are great! Just teasing out these itineraries out and so far, I have a Feb date on the Princess Majestic in the running. Now, I am headed to RCCL to compare apples to oranges.....but all this talk has made me know that we need to see Hobart as well.

Now, should I book with a TA there or use my general booking agent here in the US?

Just note that the TAs here with have the taxes and such included in the price advertised and if it is any of the cruise lines under the Carnival Corp they will have the Gratuities added in as well , where as the US TAs will have all those things to add onto the advertised prices. Also not that currency conversion will work in your favour. Research and compare between the two types and also going direct to the company, see what is offered (OBC, etc ) in the fares.

Just note that the TAs here with have the taxes and such included in the price advertised and if it is any of the cruise lines under the Carnival Corp they will have the Gratuities added in as well , where as the US TAs will have all those things to add onto the advertised prices. Also not that currency conversion will work in your favour. Research and compare between the two types and also going direct to the company, see what is offered (OBC, etc ) in the fares.

Interesting....and this brings up a host of issues for international pricing :eek:.....but we won't go there.:o I am reading/reading/reading and appreciate all the info. Keep it coming. :*

No worries, just note that you need to add on all your cruise spend so that you can compare the total package (apples with apples rather than just base pricing). Another example is if a cruise line includes a drinks package which may save you $100s or may not be worth anything for you.