Can anyone test their iPhone 8 for me? :)

vacationlover_mn

I realize that alaskan cruising is coming to an end this year. However, I was wondering... If anyone just got their new iPhone 8 and are spending some time in Alaska right now... How good of a job does it do catching wildlife/glacier pictures? I'm trying to decide if I will need to get a camera, in addition to my phone (I'll be getting an 8 or X). I don't need photographer quality pictures, but I also don't want the shutterspeed/lighting to be so bad that I never get a good shot of a whale/bear/etc.

Thanks!

Lisa

I have my 8 already (It's the X that you preorder in October). I had a 6S in Alaska and hubby had the 7S Plus and his pics were way better than mine. However, I also had an ancient point and shoot and for stuff like catching whales, I personally thought it worked better than my phone. Plus I worried about getting my phone wet (but the new ones are all waterproof so that is nice). The other good thing about a point and shoot is that I could use one hand so I could take pictures as I was walking and didn't have to worry about my phone going overboard--trying to use my husband's bigger phone was bothersome for me. I love having an actual camera, albeit a cheap one and will never completely give it up.

My dream would have been to have a great camera in Alaska. I'm fine with ours but it would have been better to have a nice one. If we ever go again, I think I will invest in a nice one and take a class to learn how to use it.

I like my Sony 50x bridge camera for slower moving animals and glaciers but our best whale shots came from grandson's iphone 6 when the guide said keep looking there and he started shooting video. Then we made stills and zoomed as needed. I missed the whole whale breach.

I like my Sony 50x bridge camera for slower moving animals and glaciers but our best whale shots came from grandson's iphone 6 when the guide said keep looking there and he started shooting video. Then we made stills and zoomed as needed. I missed the whole whale breach.
Me too! My husband got pictures on his phone but i missed it all.

My cell phone glacier pictures are great but nothing like my sony camera.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

I might consider the Caribbean without my camera but not Alaska. And you will see LOTS of people with actual cameras. I love being able to zoom in on the details of the glaciers and landscape.

We went to the Kroschel Wildlife refuge in Skagway and I got good pictures on my phone bit incredible ones in great detail with my camera.

Do you have photos of this place you could share? We're trying to decide whether to go there when our ship is in Haines.
I just saw this! Oh my yes.... I'm hoping to get them onkine tomorrow.

But it was A BLAST. Steve Kroschel is hysterical! We enjoyed every bit of it. These are from my phone. The ones on my camera came out incredible. 30eb86763e9da6438502d018252db776.jpg2a8f4f3f42ac5709e85aa4210176a833.jpg2464e9a6521e36b4988a9c3b375495bc.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
I just saw this! Oh my yes.... I'm hoping to get them onkine tomorrow.

But it was A BLAST. Steve Kroschel is hysterical! We enjoyed every bit of it. These are from my phone. The ones on my camera came out incredible. 30eb86763e9da6438502d018252db776.jpg2a8f4f3f42ac5709e85aa4210176a833.jpg2464e9a6521e36b4988a9c3b375495bc.jpg

Thanks so much for posting the pictures. They are really good! I'm glad to hear you had a good time there. It's definitely on our short list. Edited by Cruise_More_Often