Beverage Package is now 2 per cabin.

Just great RCCL you have spoiled my Ovation cruise next Feb. by making the Drink package unavailable to purchase singularly. I will not be participating in this cash grab as my wife rarely drinks Just realised I will save heaps by setting a budget on beer and wine.I also normally buy a Dining package, but will probably abandon this also after looking at the price hikes since our last cruise in April. Hi Time we started looking at the other cruise lines as loyalty means little to Royal.clear.png?emoji-mad-1709

Seemed to be inevitable that it would go this way ie if one passenger in a cabin gets AIBP all adults in the same cabin must also. The number of people sharing, boasting about it and encouraging others to do likewise on social media just made it a definite.

So in a few short years RC have gone from no AIBP's, to having one but all adults in cabin must buy if one does, to not all adults having to buy if one does, & now back to all adults in cabin must buy if one does. Will the full circle be completed?? Maybe instead the rules will be altered to passengers travelling together having to buy if one buys. After all, people who don't follow the rules surely wouldn't restrict themselves to sharing only with passengers in their cabin ;)

Whilst not everyone cheated, and the ones who didn't are penalised along with those that did, I don't see how this can be interpreted as a lack of loyalty on RC's part. They are not the ones who broke the rules.

This policy is totally unfair when the second person doesn't drink alcohol at all.

Hope this new alcohol policy affects the cruise line's alcohol bottom line.

I now understand why cruise lines stopped allowing passengers to bring alcohol on board at ports!

There are exceptions to the rule for things such as pregnancy, medical conditions, recovering alcoholic, religeous and non drinkers. Not sure on how you go about this.

Where did you get this info from? I have not seen this on Royals website.

The minority has spoilt it for the majority with the sharing of packages.

Princess have also tightened up on their drink packages. A sign of the times.

Why should the majority who do the right thing in relation to drink packages be penalised. It is not our fault the cruise lines can't police their own rules. The rules are clearly defined and nobody should get away with drink sharing. It is like most rules on a cruise ship. If they won't enforce them - why have them!

This is from a post over on the Royal Caribbean forum:

According to RoyalCaribbean.com, “Any guest wishing to purchase a Deluxe Beverage Package must do so for all other guests 21 years and older in the same stateroom, for sailings on or after December 31st, 2017.” Previously, not everyone 21 years or older in a stateroom had to purchase the Deluxe Beverage Package if one of their cabin mates did.

This change comes after a test program was run on their newest cruise ship, Harmony of the Seas. This policy change only affects the Deluxe Beverage Package and not any of the other drink packages offered by Royal Caribbean.

The reason for this change is due to passengers sharing drinks with those who did not purchase the package. The sharing of drinks is not allowed and all drink packages are for single guest use only.

Why should the majority who do the right thing in relation to drink packages be penalised. It is not our fault the cruise lines can't police their own rules. The rules are clearly defined and nobody should get away with drink sharing. It is like most rules on a cruise ship. If they won't enforce them - why have them!

Ah I see, the fault lies not with the 'rule breakers', but with the 'rule makers' for failing to catch the 'rule breakers'. 21st century logic there.

Whilst a percentage of sharing may have been observed by staff and ignored, as they didn't want to cause grief, many of the thieves go to great lengths to steal drinks. I have seen and read many justifications for stealing of drinks, including one where the poster wrote that they like the package as they can get a drink they know they won't like, take a sip & then give it to their wife as otherwise it would be wasted. They then repeat this process ad finitum.

In any case, I fail to see how drink packages have become inextricably linked to cruising. They are a relatively new addition to cruises, and it's not like if you don't have a package you can't have a good experience. People stay in hotels etc all the time that don't have AI alcohol packages??

In case it's still not fair in your mind, maybe think of it as THEIR SHIP, THEIR RULES and choose your holiday experience accordingly.

In any case, I fail to see how drink packages have become inextricably linked to cruising. They are a relatively new addition to cruises, and it's not like if you don't have a package you can't have a good experience. People stay in hotels etc all the time that don't have AI alcohol packages??

Yeah, that's where I come from.

If you don't like the pricing, then go to drinks by the glass. There's always an alternative. It's not like people are compulsorily required to buy the packages, or that it's impossible to take the cruise without purchasing one.

Yeah, that's where I come from.

If you don't like the pricing, then go to drinks by the glass. There's always an alternative. It's not like people are compulsorily required to buy the packages, or that it's impossible to take the cruise without purchasing one.

I'm not complaining about the price of alcohol packages. Package prices and individual drink prices have been discussed at length all through CC for months. That's not what this particular forum is about.

It's about individuals who are happy to purchase the package at whatever price but are prohibited under the new rules unless all other adults in the same cabin choose to do likewise.

Remember you can always post Cruise Critic News :)

Here's our story: https://www.cruisecritic.com.au/news/news.cfm?ID=8119

While one may post cc news :):)

the article, unfortunately, does not contain the source of the exemptions. This was what was queried and responded o, or at least attempted. :halo::halo::halo:

The reality is is that it’s already been said but all cruise lines. Are going to do this anyway. Plus don’t be mad at Royal Caribbean they’re just covering their butts or going out of business

The alternative is to not have a drink package at all. Or pay higher cruise fares

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The minority has spoilt it for the majority with the sharing of packages.

Princess have also tightened up on their drink packages. A sign of the times.

I don't see how this will stop the sharing anyway. Those intent on sharing will find a way eg. groups in various cabins where only one cabin buys the Deluxe package. I've even seen folk take drinks left at the pool while the owners are off swimming etc. Making everyone (adults) in a cabin purchase the package will raise revenue but not stop the problem. Yes, it is a shame but maybe it's a chance to be liver-friendly for a short while :D

I'm not complaining about the price of alcohol packages. Package prices and individual drink prices have been discussed at length all through CC for months. That's not what this particular forum is about.

It's about individuals who are happy to purchase the package at whatever price but are prohibited under the new rules unless all other adults in the same cabin choose to do likewise.

True, they're disadvantaged. But so have many others like triples who have to pay double the twin share price as specials don't apply, or handicapped who can't get guarantees, or those disadvantaged by last minute changes applying to them such as price increases or prices being imposed.

Unfortunately it happens often.

PS.

Just a reminder that if you pay before you go it's Aussie Dollars, once on board you pay in US dollars. A friend just returned from a Pacific cruise where they were charged $52.56pp/day in US dollars for the Deluxe package. I thought it must be an error but there it was on their account. It's the same price that was advertised in Aussie dollars on the RCI site.

Book before you go!

I question the value of a drink package when calculated for the entire trip. For me, they’re not worth it. I do drink, without thinking about how many I’ve consumed, and after each cruise I tally my bar bill and work out if a drink package would have made fiscal sense.

My bar bill has always been lower, even if just, than what a drink package would have cost.

So I never bother with the things.

Though I don’t personally care about it, I know of lots of people that share their packages, and they’ve now ruined it for the rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I question the value of a drink package when calculated for the entire trip. For me, they’re not worth it. I do drink, without thinking about how many I’ve consumed, and after each cruise I tally my bar bill and work out if a drink package would have made fiscal sense.

My bar bill has always been lower, even if just, than what a drink package would have cost.

So I never bother with the things.

Though I don’t personally care about it, I know of lots of people that share their packages, and they’ve now ruined it for the rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, someone always stuffs a good thing up ruining it for the rest as you have said.:halo: I bet those devious pax who 'shared the beverage package' will not pay for two packages now, they will pay as they go.

I think its a good idea. I feel for the bar servers when they get put in a predicament where they know they are serving drinks to the other person not on a package. I've seen them try to speak up and be torn to shreds. Just because you technically can get away with something why should you? I'm not talking about an extra cocktail here and there for another person but when its double double double all the time its crap.

Also, when did cruising become about drinking? LOL!

To the person who says their margins go down, methinks they'll be going up!!