Myanmar - Magnificent Mandalay

florisdekort

Hi Floris, I know you asked about Mandalay but I can tell you that the Bagan trip is definitely worth doing. The ship's tour was full by the time we booked the cruise, but it was not that hard to do it on our own and a lot of passengers did it that way. I am sure there were people on our cruise that went to Mandalay but I don't remember talking to anyone who did; it seemed everyone went to Bagan.

We were there in 2013. Mandalay is worth a visit but against Pagan, no contest, Pagan every time. Sadly, Mandalay was heavily bombed in the war and most of the original buildngs destroyed. However the Royal Palace can still be seen and is very interesting, as is the moat around the island where it used to stand before it was moved from the little island (now an army base). Pagan is really a knockout and the balloon ride is the experience of a lifetime.

If the Seabourn tour is fully booked, I recommend Tour Mandalay - who are actually based in Yangon, despite the name (see their Facebook page). They did all our bookings for our 2 week tour. You may also find the Yangon Heritage Trust Facebook page interesting - we plan to try one of their Yangon walks next time.

Been to both several times. Mandalay is a fascinating city but Bagan is truly a wonder of the world, up there with Macchu Picchu, Angkor Wat and the pyramids. Unless you KNOW you’ll be back in Myanmar (we’re buying a place south of Bangkok so know we will), don’t miss it,

Thanks for all the comments and advice - I really appreciate it - although I’m now even more in doubt about what to choose than before [emoji16] We’re currently booked on the Magnificent Mandalay overnight tour plus the Shwedagon Pagoda by night add-on. I think I’m going to leave it like that.

Floris

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for all the comments and advice - I really appreciate it - although I’m now even more in doubt about what to choose than before [emoji16] We’re currently booked on the Magnificent Mandalay overnight tour plus the Shwedagon Pagoda by night add-on. I think I’m going to leave it like that.

Floris

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I remember having the same dilemma! I will say... Shwedagon was one of the most magical memorable experiences of my life, one that I will never forget.

I hope you enjoy all your choices :)