New to Blu

bogofman

Most of the tables are for 2, but they are very close to other tables for 2. We have never, ever had to share a large table in Blu, as a matter of fact large tables are in the minority.

You cannot use the MDR on a regular basis - maybe, I think, with special advance permission. Your assigned dining room is Blu.

The location of Blu depends on the class of ship you are on. On the S class it is aft, portside, but forward of Tuscan Grill.

Definitely can do tables for 2. That said, many of the 2 tops are close together. You have your "privacy", but can easily talk with your fellow diners. BLU is located on Deck 5 aft, past the Ensemble Lounge, Port Side. You should be able to download the Equinox Deck Plans from Celebrity - or other sources.

Also, while not on the menu - shrimp cocktail, onion soup and Caesar salad - are always available. Your waiter should mention this first night; however, if you take the discount offered for a specialty dinner, the water may not say this the second night.

One diner had double shrimp cocktail every night.

Also, while not on the menu - shrimp cocktail, onion soup and Caesar salad - are always available. Your waiter should mention this first night; however, if you take the discount offered for a specialty dinner, the water may not say this the second night.

One diner had double shrimp cocktail every night.

French fries, baked potato and mashed potatoes are available also but not on the menu.

Edited by jelayne
typo

It's an S class ship and the Blu dining room is not on the same area as MDR (M class it is) so you are unlikely to be able to have the MDR menu in Blu, which we could on Constellation.

You ask what you can expect and my answer after just been in Blu on Constellation is "not a lot". I preferred the MDR menu and had the best two meals on a cruise ship from the MDR menu.

You will have fewer choices for dinner items in Blu. It is a quieter atmosphere than the MDR. Nice views can be had in Blu earlier in the evening. Tables for 2 are somewhat close together but not as bad as Reflection. Food is very good and the portions appear to be smaller than the MDR. It is worth a try. When we don't like what is on the menu, we will try a specialty restaurant or go to the MDR or the buffet for dinner.

You will have fewer choices for dinner items in Blu. It is a quieter atmosphere than the MDR. Nice views can be had in Blu earlier in the evening. Tables for 2 are somewhat close together but not as bad as Reflection. Food is very good and the portions appear to be smaller than the MDR. It is worth a try. When we don't like what is on the menu, we will try a specialty restaurant or go to the MDR or the buffet for dinner.

Not sure why you say fewer choices - Blu always has 5 entree choices as I believe the MDR has - plus a half dozen starters - plus all of the same everyday entries available in the MDR: steak, chicken, salmon - plus all of the off menu items mentioned above (add escargot to the list.)

We always arrive early and get a table for two next to the window; on our last cruise we were with another couple and they combined two tables for two so our group of four could share the window view.

Not sure why you say fewer choices - Blu always has 5 entree choices as I believe the MDR has - plus a half dozen starters - plus all of the same everyday entries available in the MDR: steak, chicken, salmon - plus all of the off menu items mentioned above (add escargot to the list.)

We always arrive early and get a table for two next to the window; on our last cruise we were with another couple and they combined two tables for two so our group of four could share the window view.

I agree. We've been in Blu half a dozen times and not once have I felt the need to go to the MDR, or order off the "anytime" menu...wonderful choices in Blu.

If it's your first time, LOOK at the menus, what is the point of choosing AQ if you want Shrimp Cocktail, steak, and apple pie every night?

Others have said you can eat in the MDR. Yes you can but in the Select Dining area of the MDR. It is my understand that if dining in Blu you should not be able to order off the MDR menu. That being said Celebrity is great for being consistent with being inconsistent. The waitstaff in Blu like to make us all happy. Happy people give bigger tips. So what I've read on here is you might be able to get items from the MDR on the M-Class ships as Blu and the MDR share the same kitchen. The S-Class ships Blu has its own kitchen. So less chance of getting items from the MDR. If you really want to dine in a smaller venue and be able to order off the MDR menu you might try booking a suite. Luminae is very nice and you can dine in Blu, Luminae and in Luminae you can order off the MDR menu.

Blu is on deck 5 aft. Head straight through the Ensemble Lounge and it'll be on the right. The Blu team on the Equinox is just wonderful. We spent 14 days on Equinox in July and just hated to leave. Service is wonderful, as is the food.

We found that the waiters and other servers offer very good advice on the dishes. For example, I asked about a salad entree (maybe it was a grilled octopus salad?) and he said it was very good but he recommended that I order it as a starter rather than a main dish as it was on the light side. Ask questions and listen to their advice. They taste all of the dishes and can help you make informed decisions.

I envy you!

Others have said you can eat in the MDR. Yes you can but in the Select Dining area of the MDR. It is my understand that if dining in Blu you should not be able to order off the MDR menu. That being said Celebrity is great for being consistent with being inconsistent. The waitstaff in Blu like to make us all happy. Happy people give bigger tips. So what I've read on here is you might be able to get items from the MDR on the M-Class ships as Blu and the MDR share the same kitchen. The S-Class ships Blu has its own kitchen. So less chance of getting items from the MDR. If you really want to dine in a smaller venue and be able to order off the MDR menu you might try booking a suite. Luminae is very nice and you can dine in Blu, Luminae and in Luminae you can order off the MDR menu.

Constellation keep a MDR menu at the door for guests who ask for it.

Eating in the MDR is no issue at all for AQ guests.

I don't get why some people think the portions are small though? I've never left there hungry that's for sure! In addition to ordering some MDR menu items you can always order side dishes too if you ask which are not on the menu. Just let your waiter know. Sticking to the same area so you can build a relationship with your servers makes a lot of sense, they'll go out of their way to please you.

As AquaClass class guests, your primary dining room is Blu... That said and as others have noted, Aqua Class guests may instead dine in the "Select Dining" area of the Main Dining Room...

In terms of expedience if dining during peak hours, I've found that it is generally preferable that you ask the Maitre 'D in Blu to make a "Select Dining" advance reservation for you in the MDR so as to lessen potential wait time for a table... He/she will gladly do so...

Agee with posters here. Love Blu. To me, it is much more enjoyable table for two then the MDR. Always seem to strike up nice convo with tables next to us. Enjoy the food. More creative. Actually like it better than Luminé which has a very limited menu and can seem empty at times.

Question - does anybody know if they are eliminating Aqua Class & Blu from new Edge ships. Looking at some future itinaries and there wasn't stateroom selection for Aqua Class. That would be sad.

Question - does anybody know if they are eliminating Aqua Class & Blu from new Edge ships. Looking at some future itineraries and there wasn't stateroom selection for Aqua Class

You might want to look again, Edge does indeed feature AquaClass; I'm holding a reservation for 10 March 2019... Though not necessarily clear on the deck plans, I have been assured that all Aqua Class cabins on Edge feature the new "infinite veranda" concept...

Could be that AquaClass is "sold out" on the dates you are considering...

We are booked in an AQ Infinite Balc stateroom on EDGE..website is not very good.

Each morning you can check the BLU dinner menu..it is on the menu stand behind the breakfast menu...

We went to MDR 1st nite on Infinity for Prime Rib.(BLU usually has filet mignon 1st night....also very good)..In MDR we had a great aft table by the big window, excellent service and food..but we ate early before the main crush of diners.

Found out the next day, we could have had MDR menu in BLU...Last yr it was a big NO!

Enjoy!

As regards MDR menu items available in Blu - it depends on the maître d'. but generally on S class no as the kitchens are not close, and on M class usually as the kitchens are next to each other (the same? Not sure but in the same area).

I have eaten off the 'classics' menu many times. Rarely order the steak but the chicken and the salmon are generally very good. I prefer simple food, have some food intolerances, and therefore sometimes prefer the standards. We cruise a lot since retiring and having the classic menus gives us more choices as well. I have a diary intolerance and often the appetizers are loaded with cheese of some type, as are some salads. Fortunately I love shrimp cocktail and can handle the Caesar salad with a lactaid pill so often have that. I find the waiters are much more able to handle special requests in Blu as opposed to MDR as regards getting salads without the cheese, a baked potato instead of the mac and cheese, and so on.

You might want to look again, Edge does indeed feature AquaClass; I'm holding a reservation for 10 March 2019... Though not necessarily clear on the deck plans, I have been assured that all Aqua Class cabins on Edge feature the new "infinite veranda" concept...

Could be that AquaClass is "sold out" on the dates you are considering...

Yes, Mar 10 was the date I was looking at, so possibly it is sold out. It should show that, in my opinion. Caribbean itineraries not thrilling me, but the real reason is to see the ship, of course.

I read on another thread that AQ staterooms are on decks 9 & 10. I will have to hunt around to see if any TA have AQ available. Would hate not to have Blu.