Dog sled and Mendenhall in Juneau

Snllh

First time cruiser and first trip to Alaska family of 4 (2 adult children). We will be in Juneau from 1:00 - 10:00 p.m. and would like to visit both a sled dog camp (not the ones that go out to the glacier - the ones that use the wheeled carts) and Mendenhall glacier. HAL offers the dog sled excursion at 2:00, and I found a less expensive private vendor offering the same thing at 5:30. I am wondering about having enough time to also take a taxi out to the glacier. Any advise is appreciated.

A cab ride from the dock to Mendenhall takes 20-30 minutes each way.

You need 1 hr for a RT hike to Nuggett Falls for a photo op.

Keep in mind that altho the Mendenhall Visitor Center closes at 7:30pm, the trails are accessible until midnite. ( I wouldn't want wander around in the dark, but depending on when you travel it could be light until 8:30pm when you need to leave. )

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/tongass/about-forest/offices/?cid=stelprdb5400800

Edited by mapleleaves
Link

I am the opposite - I would do Mendenhall first and then do the dog sledding at 5:30.

Those 1 pm arrivals in Juneau are really troublesome as far as planning things. Do you know if you are tendering in Juneau? Can the private tour pick you up at Mendenhall?

We are on the Eurodam and will be docked, not tendering. I am also interested in visiting the House of Russia store. Does anyone know its normal hours in July? We may have to choose the dog sled or Mendenhall. I appreciate everyone's input. Thanks!

You have time for mendenhall AND dog carting, regardless of which vendor you go with.

1. dog carting 2pm-5pm. Cab to glacier at 6pm, cab picks you up at 8/8:30pm.

2. cab to glacier at 1:30, cab picks you up at 4pm. Dog carting at 5:30.

As for store hrs, call them and ask what they expect their hrs to be on your specific date.

Yes, you are right, it looks like we would have time for both. I had been trying to talk myself into having to choose (when I thought we had to) by saying maybe dog carting is not worth the cost. Now that it is clear that I can do both, I still have to decide if it is worth the cost. I appreciate everyone's insight though.

You might also consider what other activities in Juneau your family might like. For instance, going up the Mount Roberts tramway and taking a hike up there. Personally, I'd much prefer that to the dog carting. Juneau is also a good location for a whale watch. We arrived about noon, took the tram up Mount Roberts for a brief look around up there then did a whale watch excursion - my husband and friends went back to Juneau while I continued to Mendenhall glacier.

There is also the Alaska State museum and the Walter Soboleff building with native art and cultural exhibits. I didn't have time to visit them on our Juneau stop last time - I'm hoping to find time next visit.

I still have to decide if it is worth the cost.

We did basically the same tour in Skagway and thought it was definitely NOT worth the cost. It was cute, but nothing special for that amount of money. I would use the funds for a different activity, if I were you.