outside access on Ruby

pensi9

On my Ruby Princess sailing, the above the bridge deck wasn't open at all the entire trip. The only upper deck bow access was on Deck 16 (Sun Deck), on either side of the Tradewinds Bar. Here are a few photos that show it:

25611755933_9bee0f3547_c.jpg

26214415845_107682ae1e_c.jpg

26214413925_f771bab7bf_c.jpg

25609642714_c5b826886f_c.jpg

In the ships I have been on the forward open deck area on the lido is closed off. However the sun deck is almost always open unless wind becomes a problem. Warning to anyone thinking about a starboard lido deck stateroom, the exercise room is right above you in some staterooms near the bow. If you like the thump thump thump of pax on the treadmills etc then this is the room for you. ;)

Oh dear. One of the reasons my husband wanted to cruise Princess again was his recollection (not sure which ship) of there being a deck you could walk all the way around to the very "point" (sorry, I am not very nautical) of the front of the ship. I am not sure if this is what you are referring to but he will be very sad if we can't do this!

Oh dear. One of the reasons my husband wanted to cruise Princess again was his recollection (not sure which ship) of there being a deck you could walk all the way around to the very "point" (sorry, I am not very nautical) of the front of the ship. I am not sure if this is what you are referring to but he will be very sad if we can't do this!

Point = bow

On Ruby (and sisters) you can do that on Promenade, but you climb stairs to the bow area and then descend again. It's SRO.

We cruised to Alaska on Coral Princess - at the time she had the promenade deck that went all round the ship, plus access up front on a couple of decks, though I have forgotten which.

The naturalist would often be out there, so it was busy, bit equally we often had the place to ourselves.

Can anyone confirm if that space is still there on the Coral?

In the ships I have been on the forward open deck area on the lido is closed off. However the sun deck is almost always open unless wind becomes a problem. Warning to anyone thinking about a starboard lido deck stateroom, the exercise room is right above you in some staterooms near the bow. If you like the thump thump thump of pax on the treadmills etc then this is the room for you. ;)

We have stayed in these rooms several times and have never heard noise from the exercise room.

As far as I know, this isn't accessable on any current princess ship. This is usually where the crew pool is.

I have been through the panama canal 3 times on coral. On one of the cruises they opened this

are to passengers. On the other 2, closed to passengers.

Yes, this is available on the Ruby, the Coral, The Island, etc. (not on Royal, Regal). It is IMO one of the greatest features that Princess offers.

I spent hours and hours up front on that deck on the Diamond Princess when we did our Alaska trip.

Do not be distracted by other posts that describe other decks of the Ruby.

Personally I think this thread was misnamed because many folks who inquire about the Bow of the ship actually mean that Bow of the ship...and Princess never opens the Bow of the ship to passengers...it is a 'crew only' location. HAL, on the other hand, allows bow access quite freely, barring gale force winds.

We were on the Ruby to Alaska in September of this year. Had one of the oddball obstructed cabins facing the bow on Lida. For Glacier Bay day, we went to the deck on Lido just outside our window, and it was a great place to be. Full range of movement, so when the ship turned around, we just turned around and went toward the other side. Not crowded at all.

Yes, this is available on the Ruby, the Coral, The Island, etc. (not on Royal, Regal). It is IMO one of the greatest features that Princess offers.

I spent hours and hours up front on that deck on the Diamond Princess when we did our Alaska trip.

Do not be distracted by other posts that describe other decks of the Ruby.

Personally I think this thread was misnamed because many folks who inquire about the Bow of the ship actually mean that Bow of the ship...and Princess never opens the Bow of the ship to passengers...it is a 'crew only' location. HAL, on the other hand, allows bow access quite freely, barring gale force winds.

We fully circled the Ruby on the Promenade, and did stop at the very front (bow) of the ship.

The area in the photos looks really nice!!! Doesn't have the full, low, overhang, like the Promenade does in that front area.

Thank you both so much! We have seen the Ruby in port in San Diego and thought you could but of course until you're ON the ship you wouldn't know!

The OP was asking about upper deck access to the front of the ship. The deck your husband is referring to is Promenade Deck 7. You can walk all the way around the ship on that deck, but you need to climb some stairs to do it. Here are a few photos, one from all the way in front of the ship on Promenade Deck and one of the stairs you need to climb to get there:

36503114432_04de75a2b0_c.jpg

36672510905_8311c78fc9_c.jpg

Oh dear. One of the reasons my husband wanted to cruise Princess again was his recollection (not sure which ship) of there being a deck you could walk all the way around to the very "point" !

I think "the very point", while not nautical, is quite clear.

As far as I know, not available on any current princess ship.

I think "the very point", while not nautical, is quite clear.

As far as I know, not available on any current princess ship.

Sorry, but the very point is very accessible on most of the fleet. That does not mean the bow deck, but the promenade deck (one deck below the bow deck) is open all the way around the bow. It is a great (and popular) place for photography, watching for wildlife (Alaska) and general lounging around.

2_forward_prom2.jpg

Thank you all so much for your help (and sorry to hijack the original thread). I think the photos posted of the deck are very helpful and exactly what my husband is talking about. We don't mind climbing stairs to get there! So it looks like the Promenade deck (aptly named) is what we are looking for. Thank you!

Sorry, but the very point is very accessible on most of the fleet.

I consider the 'very point' where the crew pool typically is, and an extra anchor is stored.

Think of the king of the world in titanic.

Where the anchor ball is displayed, when the ship is at anchor.

But, you're right. It is accessable. To crew. Not to passengers.

The area you are referring to -- desk 8 forward.

No king of the world there, if you are not on the highest weather deck.

Contrast to Holland America, where this area is accessable to passenger.