Tracey Arm Pick up at Cruise Ship

Londongirl8

We are cruising a round trip Vancouver on Nieuw Amsterdam which has the Excursion to Tracey Arm from the cruise ship and then back to Juneau. This trip gets us back to Juneau mid afternoon just hoping for some advice about whether we should still try to visit Mendenhall Glacier after or if it very similar. We will probably be tired after the Tracey Arm trip but I don't want to miss anything important. It's so hard to choose these trips as you only have the one day. I wanted to do a whale watching trip as well but am hoping we will see some on the way back from Tracey Arm.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Does your ship depart juneau at 10pm?

No need to decide until that day. See how you feel.

IF you decide to go to Mendenhall, you can catch a cab. It's a 20-30 minute ride each way. You need an hr for RT hike to Nuggett Falls for a photo. So you need about 2 hrs total to include transportation and a hike. The Visitor Center closes at 7:30pm but the trails are open until midnight. Reserve a cab to pick you up by 8pm.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/tongass/about-forest/offices/?cid=stelprdb5400800

Yes our ship departs at 10pm. Good idea to see how we feel, I thought we would have to book something up. My mobility is not good for hiking so would only be able to view from the Visitor Centre not sure how good that view would be from there. I will have my mobility scooter on the ship with me but not sure if it would be suitable to use there unless the trails are paved. Thanks for that link I will look into it more.

Look at the 2017 trip report from italy52. The 2nd part of their report is for Niew Amsterdam with lots of photos from the TracyArm ecxursion. You may feel that Mendenhall isn't necessary.

But if you go, the Photo Point trail is paved so would work for your scooter.

The boardwalk trail by Steep Creek is also supposed to be wheelchair accessible so probably also works for a scooter. The highlight of my visit to Mendenhall was seeing 3 bear cubs waiting for mom to return from the boardwalk. It's the closest view I've had of black bears.

Thank you mapleleaves for the info on that trip report what brilliant photos. I am so glad we have booked the Tracey Arm trip now it looks wonderful just hope we can get good weather. Thank you for the info on the Photo point trail in case we do go to Mendenhall.

Thank you new cruiser for the info on Steep Creek probably being accessible, how amazing you got to see the bear cubs.

We are cruising a round trip Vancouver on Nieuw Amsterdam which has the Excursion to Tracey Arm from the cruise ship and then back to Juneau. This trip gets us back to Juneau mid afternoon just hoping for some advice about whether we should still try to visit Mendenhall Glacier after or if it very similar. We will probably be tired after the Tracey Arm trip but I don't want to miss anything important. It's so hard to choose these trips as you only have the one day. I wanted to do a whale watching trip as well but am hoping we will see some on the way back from Tracey Arm.

I would put Mendenhall at the bottom of your priorities. Tracy Arm will blow Mendenhall away. They are different but if there are other things to do, I would do them.

Yes our ship departs at 10pm. Good idea to see how we feel, I thought we would have to book something up. My mobility is not good for hiking so would only be able to view from the Visitor Centre not sure how good that view would be from there. I will have my mobility scooter on the ship with me but not sure if it would be suitable to use there unless the trails are paved. Thanks for that link I will look into it more.

Being you have mobility limits, Mendenhall Glacier won't be that different probably. I would suggest that you consider a Whale watch. You won't see nearly as much from a Tracy Arm boat tour if at all. Dolphin has a fully accessible boat for a scooter. I don't know any other vendor that does? Maybe Allen Marine?