Have you sailed on Amsterdam? I have questions.

The deck plan of the Veendam shows a New York Pizza aft by the retreats

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you for correcting me :D. I had forgotten that both Veendam and Rotterdam had a pizza bar added when their aft pool areas were destroyed (reconfigured). It seems the location was originally called "Slice" and was quietly renamed "New York Pizza" in their most recent drydocks.

I was on Amsterdam the week of 7/8. You get VERY close to the glacier. I was really surprised. For music, I really loved Adagio which is a violinist and pianist. Plays mostly classical music, but the violinist was superb. I'm not really into jazz, but what I heard of the trio was actually pretty good as well. The Rudi's Sel de Mer night is totally worth it. One of the most phenomenal meals I've had. Happy hour in the Crow's Nest is pretty good. They serve some very good appetizers with your order. There are numerous lounge areas, and each one has a different look and feel which I enjoy. Happy to answer any questions you may have.

What night was the Sel de Mer? Cost?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...
Another Question: Can you walk out on the front/bow of the ship from any deck (looks like Lower Promenade might work)?

Wondering if that area is open while in Hubbard Glacier.

Thanks!

From the lower promenade deck, you go up one level to access the deck. They will most likely have it open. It was open to us several times during the 2018 WC.

Another Question: Can you walk out on the front/bow of the ship from any deck (looks like Lower Promenade might work)?

Thanks!

They had several ways to access the bow of the ship on Hubbard Glacier day. The easiest was to walk behind the Main Stage.

From the lower promenade deck, you go up one level to access the deck. They will most likely have it open. It was open to us several times during the 2018 WC.

They had several ways to access the bow of the ship on Hubbard Glacier day. The easiest was to walk behind the Main Stage.

Thank you both -- am glad to hear it will be open!

Have read a few Amsterdam Alaskan reviews and none shared this info. Not all were happy cruisers, but some were very enthusiastic...not my first time and I go for the scenery, so it will be fine I'm sure.

Would not have thought about access to the bow from behind Main Stage.

Had either of you been on Amsterdam before the refurb? It will be my first time on this ship, so I'm just curious about what you noticed most.

Heard there was calving pretty often in Hubbard Glacier. I've only seen that once in my six visits but wonder if hearing it often is a good thing.

Thanks again for the replies!

Thank you both -- am glad to hear it will be open!

Have read a few Amsterdam Alaskan reviews and none shared this info. Not all were happy cruisers, but some were very enthusiastic...not my first time and I go for the scenery, so it will be fine I'm sure.

Would not have thought about access to the bow from behind Main Stage.

Had either of you been on Amsterdam before the refurb? It will be my first time on this ship, so I'm just curious about what you noticed most.

Heard there was calving pretty often in Hubbard Glacier. I've only seen that once in my six visits but wonder if hearing it often is a good thing.

Thanks again for the replies!

This was our first time on the Amsterdam and our first time to Alaska - we were on the Aug 5 sailng. We all thought she was beautiful - especially in the common areas. We were all on the first deck (we had five rooms and when we booked that was all that was available) - I do not think those rooms had been updated - for sure the bathrooms had not been updated and that was really the only thing that seemed worn and really only in our room.

The Hubbard Glacier day was really amazing. The ship can get very closer to the Glacier and right when we arrived at the closest point there was a substantial calving front and center. Words can not describe how amazing. We were there at the Glacier for quite a while and the calving continued although none of the rest were quite as huge. It sounded like a thunderstorm. Be sure to go out on the deck if you can even if the weather isn't perfect. The Crow's nest is a great place to watch the approach - go up early and get seats up front. The EXC guide will come up there and narrate the approach and she was very interesting - but once you are almost there go down and go outside. And even if the day is grey and foggy once you actually get the the glacier you should still have a nice view.

Thanks!

There is also a nice deck all the way forward on deck 6. Walk forward down the port side (starboard is closed off because it is crew quarters) to the end of the hall and turn left. Go out the doors to the deck.

42360082390_367cfc8f51_c.jpg

This was our first time on the Amsterdam and our first time to Alaska - we were on the Aug 5 sailng. We all thought she was beautiful - especially in the common areas. We were all on the first deck (we had five rooms and when we booked that was all that was available) - I do not think those rooms had been updated - for sure the bathrooms had not been updated and that was really the only thing that seemed worn and really only in our room.

The Hubbard Glacier day was really amazing. The ship can get very closer to the Glacier and right when we arrived at the closest point there was a substantial calving front and center. Words can not describe how amazing. We were there at the Glacier for quite a while and the calving continued although none of the rest were quite as huge. It sounded like a thunderstorm. Be sure to go out on the deck if you can even if the weather isn't perfect. The Crow's nest is a great place to watch the approach - go up early and get seats up front. The EXC guide will come up there and narrate the approach and she was very interesting - but once you are almost there go down and go outside. And even if the day is grey and foggy once you actually get the the glacier you should still have a nice view.

As long as it's clean, I'm not too worried about updates :-}

Hubbard is not one of my favorites for viewing, but maybe seeing it closer will change my mind.

This will be my first cruise to Alaska without a balcony, so I'm sure I'll be on deck...an ocean view picture window just won't cut it!

Thanks for sharing

There is also a nice deck all the way forward on deck 6. Walk forward down the port side (starboard is closed off because it is crew quarters) to the end of the hall and turn left. Go out the doors to the deck.

42360082390_367cfc8f51_c.jpg

Scrapnana, we have talked before ... and I thank you for joining in here ... LOVE this pic!!!

As long as it's clean, I'm not too worried about updates :-}

Hubbard is not one of my favorites for viewing, but maybe seeing it closer will change my mind.

This will be my first cruise to Alaska without a balcony, so I'm sure I'll be on deck...an ocean view picture window just won't cut it!

Thanks for sharing

26a561f0ed5e868717f9209c00efe4e6.jpg

From our ocean view stateroom. I stopped by for warmer clothes after spending time on the bow, which is exposed to the elements.

11478413958544c3d91260ea07a81cdd.jpg

From the bow, which was crowded as was Deck 6’s forward balcony.

264a8a43f13f6ddca3cc13f33884efc8.jpg

From Deck 3. I found Deck 3, lower promenade deck the “best” deck for viewing for a few reasons: longer deck for people to stretch out and it is covered from the elements, deck 3 has 3 sides open for viewing with only the forward area enclosed. I walked from starboard to aft as the ship rotated for optimal guest viewing.

f87b70e8b0d0a16455daa05e9217fc71.jpg

We even viewed it from the Crow’s nest for a short time, which was also crowded.

Just make sure you are either on the Bow, Deck 3, or in the Crow’s Nest when the hot Dutch Pea Soup is served! It goes quick!

No worries. You will have a great cruise, trust me. Another hint, try the Pinnacle Lunch for $10. Even on Hubbard Day. We ate @ Noon, was done @ 1pm and we didn't actually get to the Glacier until 3pm. Another Hint. You see the approach to Hubbard on the way out, just in reverse. Sun is usually up by later in the day and all of the glacier watchers are fully worn out. Best time to appreciate it in my opinion. Hubbard will blow you away. Just saying!

Does the Pinnacle Lunch have to be booked? Are there different choices for $10?

Does the Pinnacle Lunch have to be booked? Are there different choices for $10?

Reservations are highly recommended. You can 'walk in' if there is availability but that is rare IME.

There are indeed different choices - nice ones ;) on the menu.

26a561f0ed5e868717f9209c00efe4e6.jpg

From our ocean view stateroom. I stopped by for warmer clothes after spending time on the bow, which is exposed to the elements.

11478413958544c3d91260ea07a81cdd.jpg

From the bow, which was crowded as was Deck 6’s forward balcony.

264a8a43f13f6ddca3cc13f33884efc8.jpg

From Deck 3. I found Deck 3, lower promenade deck the “best” deck for viewing for a few reasons: longer deck for people to stretch out and it is covered from the elements, deck 3 has 3 sides open for viewing with only the forward area enclosed. I walked from starboard to aft as the ship rotated for optimal guest viewing.

f87b70e8b0d0a16455daa05e9217fc71.jpg

We even viewed it from the Crow’s nest for a short time, which was also crowded.

Just make sure you are either on the Bow, Deck 3, or in the Crow’s Nest when the hot Dutch Pea Soup is served! It goes quick!

I'm not likely to be inside, but your Deck 3 description sounds perfect. Thank you so much for that AND for the photos!!

Kind of funny, I like peas but cannot do pea soup...wish they'd have salmon instead...maybe I'll take some of my own ;-}

I'm not likely to be inside, but your Deck 3 description sounds perfect. Thank you so much for that AND for the photos!!

Kind of funny, I like peas but cannot do pea soup...wish they'd have salmon instead...maybe I'll take some of my own ;-}

I don’t like either, but my husband likes to partake in the tradition. :)

The other thing about deck 3 is Kelly, the onboard EXC / naturalist, after finishing her narration during the sail in moved down to deck 3 and is available for questions.

I don’t like either, but my husband likes to partake in the tradition. :)

The other thing about deck 3 is Kelly, the onboard EXC / naturalist, after finishing her narration during the sail in moved down to deck 3 and is available for questions.

That pretty much locks me in on Deck 3! I don't always have questions, but usually learn from those asked by others. Thanks much!