Amsterdam crew member missing

freestyling

Thoughts are prayers go out to all affected

Crewman missing from cruise ship in southeast Alaska

ANCHORAGE, Alaska — A crewman is missing from a cruise ship in Alaska waters.

The Coast Guard is searching in Sitka Sound by helicopter for a 35-year old man reported overboard from the 780-foot (238-meter) cruise ship Nieuw Amsterdam.

The man was last seen on the ship at 6 p.m. Thursday. He did not show up for a work shift and other crewman and alerted the vessel's captain at about 7:45 p.m.

The vessel turned around and searched but has since continued south toward Victoria, British Columbia.

Ship officials notified the Coast Guard of the missing man at 9 p.m. The helicopter crew began searching off Biorka Island at 1 a.m. Friday.

The Coast Guard reports wind in the area at 43 mph (69 kph), waves to 8 feet (2.4 meters) and heavy fog.

Edited by freestyling

The national news on ABC just said it was the Amsterdam and their video of the ship in Sitka was definitely the Amsterdam not the Nieuw Amsterdam. Do not know which is correct.

Thoughts and prayers to the crew and the crew member's family.

I just heard ABC news report saying a 35 year old male crew member was lost overboard from Amsterdam , which is HAL's c o flagship and world cruiser. In Alaska's waters I know I heard the name of the s hip correctly as they showed a picture of the ship.

Very sad, very sad.

The report said the Captain turned the ship to search but the crew person was not recovered..

Thoughts are prayers go out to all affected

Crewman missing from cruise ship in southeast Alaska

ANCHORAGE, Alaska — A crewman is missing from a cruise ship in Alaska waters.

The Coast Guard is searching in Sitka Sound by helicopter for a 35-year old man reported overboard from the 780-foot (238-meter) cruise ship Nieuw Amsterdam.

The man was last seen on the ship at 6 p.m. Thursday. He did not show up for a work shift and other crewman and alerted the vessel's captain at about 7:45 p.m.

The vessel turned around and searched but has since continued south toward Victoria, British Columbia.

Ship officials notified the Coast Guard of the missing man at 9 p.m. The helicopter crew began searching off Biorka Island at 1 a.m. Friday.

The Coast Guard reports wind in the area at 43 mph (69 kph), waves to 8 feet (2.4 meters) and heavy fog.

MS Nieuw Amsterdam is 285m, (~935 feet).

MS Amsterdam is about 237m, (~778 feet).

Both ships are sailing Alaska itineraries at the moment.

Regardless of ship, it is very sad news.

\

I believe the ship is Nieuw Amsterdam. Sorry for such a tragic loss. Condolences to his family and the staff and crew.

It is Amsterdam, Not NIeuw Amsterdam, jus t the reported tonnage of he vessel clafiies that..

I wond er if maybe They got lucky and found him rescued, safely. Anyone hear an update? We can hope.

Local news report: http://www.ktuu.com/content/news/Search-called-off-for-overboard-cruise-ship-crew-member-in-Sitka-Sound-490031581.html This must have been very hard on the crew too -

No recent follow-up on the Westerdam passenger going overboard either?

When did a Westerdam crewman go overboard?

I missed a report about him..How sad. two, so close together.

Must have been awful for the crew when they knew the search had to end. Brutal.