Luggage Questions - Amsterdam Airport/Port

callmedeb

Alright.

My Dad an I are flying in the same day as our cruise leaves Amsterdam (I know, don't get me started, it wasn't worth the argument). We are planning on taking the train into Amsterdam, when we arrive in the early morning hours.

I have two trains of thought...

A) I am assuming (again, I know) that HAL will have a representative at that airport for people who have purchased transfers to the ship. Do you think the HAL rep could be persuaded to take our luggage to the ship, but not us?

or

2) The ship is walking distance from Centraal station, how early can we drop off our luggage?

Things I should point out.

i) We travel carry on only (yes it can be done, laundry will also be done);

b) Dad is 80, in good health, walks without assistance; and

3) I really want to get rid of the luggage as fast as possible (baggage is another story).

The one solid plan is to take a bit of a stroll before boarding, to stretch our legs, also - to get a beer.

Any thoughts on my mind wanderings?

Appreciated!

Deb

Alright.

My Dad an I are flying in the same day as our cruise leaves Amsterdam (I know, don't get me started, it wasn't worth the argument). We are planning on taking the train into Amsterdam, when we arrive in the early morning hours.

I have two trains of thought...

A) I am assuming (again, I know) that HAL will have a representative at that airport for people who have purchased transfers to the ship. Do you think the HAL rep could be persuaded to take our luggage to the ship, but not us?

or

2) The ship is walking distance from Centraal station, how early can we drop off our luggage?

Things I should point out.

i) We travel carry on only (yes it can be done, laundry will also be done);

b) Dad is 80, in good health, walks without assistance; and

3) I really want to get rid of the luggage as fast as possible (baggage is another story).

The one solid plan is to take a bit of a stroll before boarding, to stretch our legs, also - to get a beer.

Any thoughts on my mind wanderings?

Appreciated!

Deb

I really don't think you can count on the HAL rep to take your luggage and, frankly, if I wasn't on vehicle, I wouldn't want them ot handle our luggage. I like to see it loaded and unloaded whether I do a HAL or private transfer.

You can drop off the luggage pretty early IMO. When we disembarked there last time, I saw stevedore's taking luggage from passengers and a HAL bus was already there. That was around 9:30 - 9:45 IIRC.

I really don't think you can count on the HAL rep to take your luggage and, frankly, if I wasn't on vehicle, I wouldn't want them ot handle our luggage. I like to see it loaded and unloaded whether I do a HAL or private transfer.

You can drop off the luggage pretty early IMO. When we disembarked there last time, I saw stevedore's taking luggage from passengers and a HAL bus was already there. That was around 9:30 - 9:45 IIRC.

That was my thinking too. Option the Second it is.

=)

Deb

You might want to check on tripadvisor or some other forum to determine if there is any luggage storage facility at Centraal or nearby.

We also travel with carry on only......makes it so much easier for us. There are storage lockers at the airport. Last time we had a 8 hours between flights. We stored our bags and went into town. Worst case you could do this, return to the airport, and join the HAL transfer.

Failing that, try to find out what hotel HAL uses in Amsterdam. Arrange a transfer from there. Ask that hotel to store your bags. They only fly in the ointment would be if the HAL hotel transfer departs for the ship too early and does not give you enough time to see the city.

Edited by iancal

There are lockers at the cruise terminal and often checkin starts around 10 or 11. You can check the size and price on this website: https://www.ptamsterdam.nl/en/cruises-portal

Lockers at Centraal Station are only available if you have a valid trainticket to open/close the gates to get there. https://www.ns.nl/en/travel-information/luggage/luggage-at-the-station.html

Another possibility is: https://www.amsterdam.info/luggage-storage/lock/

We just used the luggage service at the airport two months ago. There is a similar luggage storage service at Centraal. We dropped ours off and kept the backpacks and did what you're planning. About 14 bucks or so for 2 bags.

You can also purchase the airport-Centraal train ticket on-line ahead of time, when your flight lands, you only have to collect your luggage and yourself and head down the escalator where the train platforms are. It's relatively easy to find the trains to Centraal and the express ones get you there fast. This skips the step of finding the kiosk and purchasing trains tix on-site.

At Centraal train station, you should be able to store your luggage and cross the street and grab your beers and french fries and do the HOHO or canal rides or whatever. You can then return and retrieve your bags and make your way to the ship.

We rolled our carry-on bags and backpacks from the Ship to Centraal and it is about a 5-10 minute along a safe secure walking route along the harbor. It's that close and you can do it if there are no ambulatory issues.

If you can't manage your luggage load then pay for the taxi and shell out some Euros to get to the ship.

Amsterdam is a good place to play out your Amazing Race fantasy if you have one.