Timing - Plane Change in Amsterdam

Javaholic

I’m one who usually alloys plenty of airport time. However, we are flying from Venice to Amsterdam on KLM to Delta. We only have 50 minutes btwn flights. (It was our only non stop option).

How timely are departures in Venice? Distance btwn KLM & Delta at Amsterdam airport? Trying not to fret, it will be what it will be. But, hopefully we’ll be okay.

We have been in Schiphol plenty of times and as you probably know it is big and busy and you never know what kind of customs inspection you will have.

However, I went to their website and found this information:

Transferring at Amsterdam Airport Schiphol

When you check in for the first flight of your trip, you will receive the following documents:

• A boarding pass for your first flight
  • A boarding pass for your connecting flight
  • A folder containing information about transferring at Amsterdam Airport Schiphol

The standard transfer time at Amsterdam Airport Schiphol to a flight within Europe is 40 minutes and 50 minutes for an intercontinental flight.

If you are travelling to/from Schengen and non-Schengen countries, you should count on having to go through additional security checks and customs inspections. These can substantially extend the time it takes to complete your transfer procedure.

If you do not make your next flight because of a lack of time, you will automatically be booked on another flight. Your baggage will be relabelled and you will not have to retrieve it or check in for the new flight. Your new flight details can be retrieved and you can print out your new boarding pass at a kiosk.

Here is a map of Schiphol.

Have a great cruise.

50 minutes between flights is really quite tight. The airport in Amsterdam is huge and very, very busy. It's my least favourite airport in Europe. That being said, you may get lucky and the day will not be as hectic as is normally the case. Last May the line through security took almost one hour and then we had such a long walk to our gate. I hope everything goes well for you as flying is always so stressful if you think you'll miss your flight.

Thanks for the map. I looked a while back & it appears as though delta is near KLM. No idea of gates yet, we’re 4 weeks out

You are welcome. As I recall, Delta has a special documents area where you go to first before you get to your gate. This means you will not know your real gate at first. For us, on our boarding pass we had to go to D1. We were interviewed there and given a receipt with the actual departure gate.

However, every time we go there, the process has been a bit different.

You may want to call Delta and ask for their advice on making this connection.