Miami of Fl Lauderdale airport???

Utah17

Both airports work for cruises leaving out of MIami. Of course MIA is closer but FLL can work as well. Book whichever has the better price and timing for yourself. It will be cheaper to get from MIA to the port of course, but you can uber from Port Miami back to FLL for around $30. It will just be about another 30 minutes of driving.

I couldn't say it better than Carolyn.... but I'll comment anyway :)

If the price difference is more than the cost of transportation, or you like the flight times better, fly in to Fort Lauderdale. It's up to you what it's worth. It's like flying in to Midway or O'Hare in Chicago or JFK/Newark in NYC. It doesn't really matter.

If all is equal, of course fly in to Miami because it's a half hour closer.

I would look at cost and as Carolyn noted consider the cost to get between each airport and port.

I would not fly in the day of the cruise.

I would consider schedule. Remember that the drive from the port of Miami to Fort Lauderdale airport is longer than getting to Miami airport so factor that into what flight you get on disembarkation day. I would not book a flight before 11:30 AM if you are going to Fort Lauderdale.

While many locals we know prefer Fort Lauderdale airport all things being equal I prefer Miami International airport if we are going to be there for a few hours before our flight. We can check our bags earlier and there is a much great variety of places to have lunch and to walk around in comparison to Fort Lauderdale airport.

Keith

While many locals we know prefer Fort Lauderdale airport all things being equal I prefer Miami International airport if we are going to be there for a few hours before our flight. We can check our bags earlier and there is a much great variety of places to have lunch and to walk around in comparison to Fort Lauderdale airport.

Keith

This is one local who is in complete agreement with you over preferred airport!

Keith

Is this really still the case? If location/drive/flight/airline is all the same, MIA is far superior and its not even close. Back in the 2000-2008 people would love FLL over MIA. But these days FLL is a disaster compared to MIA. Unless you get stuck flying out of concourse G or F at MIA.

Even then, FLL traffic is terrible. Agreed MIA is a far superior airport with many more amenities. Concourse G is looking good at FLL though. I fly JetBlue often (not because of FLL but because I love JetBlue) and it is nice to be able to walk over to G for better food options and views.

To the OP, it makes no huge difference. If price/schedule/favorite airline is around the same, then pick MIA, it is closer, cheaper and an easier airport to use. Also less delay prone.

However, if you find a cheaper flight, a better scheduled flight or a flight on your favorite airline to FLL (like JetBlue or Southwest only fly to FLL) then go to FLL.

FLL and MIA to both ports are like if you want to fly to LGA or JFK when going to NYC. Not a huge difference.

I don't think there is much difference between the two other than Miami being less congested as their drop off/pickup areas are so much bigger. But that doesn't mean FLL is bad overall. I don't really care which airport I fly out of and prefer FLL simply because it's closer for me. It's usually pretty painless. Flying JetBlue, they have a Chili's in the terminal along with a few other options to sit and have a drink while hanging out. It's not that bad by any stretch. If I had to be at the airport longer, then I'd prefer Miami because of the lounges and extra food options, but really, the AMEX lounge is a total overcrowded disaster so it's nothing special.

While Miami has some extra options, there are certainly times where you will hate it. Like flying in on American and having to do a 26.2 mile marathon walk to the baggage claim, then dealing with the absolute most disorganized and slow baggage claim in America.... I make a note of not checking bags when flying American in to Miami. It's horrible.

At Fort Lauderdale, I've been stuck waiting 4 hours for my wife and kids to get through customs on an international flight before.

Both airports have good and bad but I think for most travelers, however, it makes very, very little difference which airport.

Is this really still the case? If location/drive/flight/airline is all the same, MIA is far superior and its not even close. Back in the 2000-2008 people would love FLL over MIA. But these days FLL is a disaster compared to MIA. Unless you get stuck flying out of concourse G or F at MIA.

Even then, FLL traffic is terrible. Agreed MIA is a far superior airport with many more amenities. Concourse G is looking good at FLL though. I fly JetBlue often (not because of FLL but because I love JetBlue) and it is nice to be able to walk over to G for better food options and views.

To the OP, it makes no huge difference. If price/schedule/favorite airline is around the same, then pick MIA, it is closer, cheaper and an easier airport to use. Also less delay prone.

However, if you find a cheaper flight, a better scheduled flight or a flight on your favorite airline to FLL (like JetBlue or Southwest only fly to FLL) then go to FLL.

FLL and MIA to both ports are like if you want to fly to LGA or JFK when going to NYC. Not a huge difference.

Many locals we know (I realize you are local) always tell me they prefer Fort Lauderdale Airport over Miami.

Maybe it is just perception.

Maybe it is because many live North of Fort Lauderdale.

All I know is I like to get to the airport early for our return flight and I much prefer Miami

With all due respect some of the terminal areas in Fort Lauderdale are really in terrible shape IMHO.

Keith

Keith

I don't think there is much difference between the two other than Miami being less congested as their drop off/pickup areas are so much bigger. But that doesn't mean FLL is bad overall. I don't really care which airport I fly out of and prefer FLL simply because it's closer for me. It's usually pretty painless. Flying JetBlue, they have a Chili's in the terminal along with a few other options to sit and have a drink while hanging out. It's not that bad by any stretch. If I had to be at the airport longer, then I'd prefer Miami because of the lounges and extra food options, but really, the AMEX lounge is a total overcrowded disaster so it's nothing special.

While Miami has some extra options, there are certainly times where you will hate it. Like flying in on American and having to do a 26.2 mile marathon walk to the baggage claim, then dealing with the absolute most disorganized and slow baggage claim in America.... I make a note of not checking bags when flying American in to Miami. It's horrible.

At Fort Lauderdale, I've been stuck waiting 4 hours for my wife and kids to get through customs on an international flight before.

Both airports have good and bad but I think for most travelers, however, it makes very, very little difference which airport.

I’m in that AMEX lounge frequently (last time 3 weeks ago) and while it’s crowded I would never call it a disaster. You’ll be happy to know that they are expanding it. They have also done away with day passes so it is controlling the amount of people in there.

Why do a marathon walk to baggage? They have the great monorail type train that runs so very frequently and has so many stops! It allows you to get very close to where you need to go. I was flying frequently to JAX before my daughter moved and was able to always get from the Centurion lounge to the very last outside AA gate within minutes by the train.

AA is my preferred airline and the one that I fly frequently. Love that terminal.

Next month I’m in and out of FLL because I had to do Delta going and Southwest coming back and I’m not thrilled. Hate that the Delta club is closed!

Edited by Host CJSKIDS

I fly American Airlines often. Yes several years ago there were inconsistencies at Miami but I have to tell you that my experience has been much better the last few years and if there are any issues that is true of many airports we fly to.

I love the terminal that American is located in. Lots of stores, restaurants, American Club Lounge, bright, updated. As Carolyn said we can take the train if at a gate far from the baggage claim.

To me the terminal at Fort Lauderdale look similar to the way they were in the 1970's other than in some cases worse.

Keith

I’m in that AMEX lounge frequently (last time 3 weeks ago) and while it’s crowded I would never call it a disaster. You’ll be happy to know that they are expanding it. They have also done away with day passes so it is controlling the amount of people in there.

Why do a marathon walk to baggage? They have the great monorail type train that runs so very frequently and has so many stops! It allows you to get very close to where you need to go. I was flying frequently to JAX before my daughter moved and was able to always get from the Centurion lounge to the very last outside AA gate within minutes by the train.

AA is my preferred airline and the one that I fly frequently. Love that terminal.

Next month I’m in and out of FLL because I had to do Delta going and Southwest coming back and I’m not thrilled. Hate that the Delta club is closed!

I know they were working on expanding it. Is that almost done? Every time I've been in, I've been LUCKY if I found a hard cafeteria chair in the bar area. Last time I had to grab a chair out by the entrance (before you even get to the check in staff).

It's been 6 months, at least, since I've been there. It was a total disaster when I used to go. We ended up multiple times just grabbing a bite to eat and then going and sitting by the gate, as ridiculous as this is - the seats by the gate are less crowded and more comfortable than the hard cafeteria chairs at the lounge.

When we are in Vegas, same issue. The AMEX lounge was so overcrowded people were sitting and laying on the floor. It was much better to just go find a quiet area away from the lounge.

Too many people have Platinum cards. But at least they are expanding the lounge and attempting to do something.

And most every time we were on AA at MIA, we had to make that ridiculously long walk to their baggage claim which was always a mess with very, very long waits for bags. I got tired of it. So instead of being loyal to AA, I now book more often on United out of FLL but I'll still take whatever flight is best regardless of which airport it is.

Yea, AA does have issue with the bags. Mainly because how many bags go through to connections. But as others have said the North terminal D gates are fantastic. Amex lounge is way too small, but I will still go there for a meal, especially around meal time before a flight. I was recently at the new Admirals club by D-15 two weeks ago, it was fantastic.

My issue with FLL is how crazy packed it gets, especially on a Friday evening or Saturday morning. Sometimes there is no where to sit, and food options are crazy limited. I am just glad I can go to G now from E/F to have more options.

While I have flown AA the most, their product has declined so much. Hence, while MIA is much easier for me and more enjoyable I fly often out of FLL given JetBlue is the best way to fly domestically these days.

Miami.

We've flown through both, but the end of a cruise (particularly) should be convenient. If it's a weekday morning, can't imagine the ride to FLL would be enjoyable. As others have mentioned, FLL seems to have outgrown it's once quaint capacity.

Depends on airline (Southwest only to FLL) and what direct flight you can find, at what price.

In all due respect to Fort Lauderdale Airport the terminal that Southwest uses is almost what I would expect to see in a third world country. Now I am exaggerating a little bit but it really is old looking and the few places that sell food just seem dirty and I did eat there the last time we were there. I am not picking on this airport because there are some others ones that look really dingy. All I know is when I have a few hours at the airport I will take Miami hands down over Fort Lauderdale..

Flymia, our go to AIrline is American Airlines. Yes they had several years that they went down hill. Surprisingly because I was not a US AIr fan, following the merger/acquisition we have found that with each passing month it is improving. Money is being spent to upgrade several lounges. They brought in a new vendor to handle the Admirals Clubs and they now offer more food throughout the day and evening. Many newer aircraft and better food at least in Business/First Class. It's not like it used to be but many things are not.

Keith

Miami.

We've flown through both, but the end of a cruise (particularly) should be convenient. If it's a weekday morning, can't imagine the ride to FLL would be enjoyable. As others have mentioned, FLL seems to have outgrown it's once quaint capacity.

Depends on airline (Southwest only to FLL) and what direct flight you can find, at what price.

Miami to Fort Lauderdale is against traffic in the morning so it wouldnt be that bad. Highway traffic down here, in general, is rarely that bad. Even heavy traffic moves decent compared to other major cities I've been.

In all due respect to Fort Lauderdale Airport the terminal that Southwest uses is almost what I would expect to see in a third world country. Now I am exaggerating a little bit but it really is old looking and the few places that sell food just seem dirty and I did eat there the last time we were there. I am not picking on this airport because there are some others ones that look really dingy. All I know is when I have a few hours at the airport I will take Miami hands down over Fort Lauderdale..

Flymia, our go to AIrline is American Airlines. Yes they had several years that they went down hill. Surprisingly because I was not a US AIr fan, following the merger/acquisition we have found that with each passing month it is improving. Money is being spent to upgrade several lounges. They brought in a new vendor to handle the Admirals Clubs and they now offer more food throughout the day and evening. Many newer aircraft and better food at least in Business/First Class. It's not like it used to be but many things are not.

Keith

It's so hit or miss with AA though. May get an old as heck first class, no TV screen, etc. Or you get the nice new one. May get pre flight drinks, maybe not. Etc.

I've found United more consistent.

One thing interesting is how much the clubs are having to compete with the dining and bars being added to all of these airports. I have to question if the $50 pass is better spent at a nicer restaurant.

Edited by BNBR

Miami.

If it's a weekday morning, can't imagine the ride to FLL would be enjoyable.

Actually that drive would be pretty easy. POM to FLL can be done in 35-mins or less on a weekday going north in the morning. Unless there is an accident of course.

Many newer aircraft and better food at least in Business/First Class. It's not like it used to be but many things are not.

Keith

Yes, problem is I don't fly enough to be upgraded often, nor do I have enough disposal income to fly business/first.

I agree AA First and Business is improving. I love the business product in the 77W and have used it a few times. And the updated First/Business in the 763 is fantastic.

But for us economy fliers AA flat out sucks. Basic economy is a scam, and I hate that DL UA and AA have it. The 738Max is the worst thing that has happened to an AA economy passenger. The new A320s and A319s seats are small, uncomfortable and have less legroom. Give me a US Airways A321 over a new A320 any day.

I am also not a fan of removing in-seat IFE. UA and AA are doing it, but DL and JetBlue keep it in seat. Works better, is more comfortable, and easier to use.

Even with all that said, I will still fly AA when it makes sense. I just flew them to London two weeks ago. But that was solely a decision on price. And these days 80% of the time JetBlue has a cheaper price that includes better IFE, better food, better service, and a lot more comfortable airplanes where I can even pick my seat without paying a fee.

Sorry for the rant, but ever since the merger they look more and more like a LLC in the back. I agree though for frequent and corporate fliers they are a good choice.