Cartagena Saturday Tips, Photo Secrets?

TLCOhio

Hi Terry, I just want to thank you for all your information and photos from your Panama Canal cruise. I am beginning my port/excursion investigations for our upcoming Panama Canal cruise and your point of view and details are very helpful. I appreciate your time to share "the wealth"!

Appreciate these nice and very kind comments from Clemmie. Glad to know you're a person of such high class, great taste and wonderful judgment to make these generous comments.

HOW WAS OUR LATEST ADVENTURE??!!: Just got back earlier this summer from three weeks in Europe doing five days in Lisbon, sailing from Portugal, seeing for the first time NW Spain, Bordeaux, Brittany, etc. Great sights and sites!

Below are a few "samples" to prove the value for exploring these wonderful areas on a nice ship. The central/connecting part was an eleven-day, very port-intensive cruise from Lisbon to Rouen/France on the highly-enjoyable Silversea Silver Spirit. For many more pictures and full details, check out this live/blog:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 186,692 views for this posting.

For Sintra north of Lisbon, here is one small visual sampling. Yes, as we told our grandsons, these are "Real Castles!". Really have learned lots on the unique history of Portugal.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger!)

June%202017A%201542_zpsrs25wyvr.jpg

From Porto, during our first trip to Portugal, we loved doing a small-craft sailing along their historic town areas near where Port wines are stored and sold.:

June%202017A%201545_zps0k0xqxq3.jpg

At the Guggenheim in Bilbao, the art is mostly about the building. Lighting and time of day when photo shooting allows for much creativity as to how you can capture this structure, its outdoor art, the inside drama, etc. Not your grandfather's museum! Like?:

June%202017A%201564_zpsjjiq8ype.jpg

Here is one quick visual sample from being in Bordeaux. If you love history and architecture, this is the super place to be!!. Like the little boy enjoying the water experience?: June%202017A%201587_zpsw32y5i9v.jpg

During our Guernsey Island visit off of the French coast, we did our ship's "Powerboat Seascape Expedition". Great fun and sightings! Isn't this puffin cute?? Plus, lots of seal, beach, sea gull, etc., actions and activities.:June%202017A%201627_zpsnz42afom.jpg

After the cruise concluded in Rouen, we finished with in-depth time in Brittany and to finish with a stop at Monet's Giverny before flying out from Paris' de Gaulle airport.:

June%202017A%201625_zpspdjx3z9y.jpg

From the Travel Section of the London/UK Independent newspaper two days ago, they have this headline: “10 Things to Do in Cartagena” with these highlights: Magical realism springs to life in Cartagena de Indias, the Caribbean jewel in Colombia’s crown. Akin to an open-air museum, the walled UNESCO World Heritage Site hides a wealth of colonial architecture and monuments, but you can also escape to one of the nearby beaches, a boat ride away, for a tropical experience.

Very nice, interesting profile on this top favorite location that we visited and loved in March 2017. Many good ideas, nice visuals, etc.

This article also notes: "Colonial pastel façades, lofty wooden entrances, incredible doors knockers, cobbled streets and an abundance of churches are enveloped within 16th-century walls. Cartagena is an architecture Instagrammer’s wet dream. Wandering the old town is enchanting but if you’re keen to know the meanings behind curiously named roads and that dolphin knocker, take a guided tour."

Full story at:

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/americas/cartagena-de-indias-things-to-do-what-see-attractions-colombia-caribbean-coast-las-murallas-salsa-a7934891.html

Panama Canal? Completed Feb. 28-Mar. 15, 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through the Panama Canal with our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! Those visuals start on the second page, post #26. See more at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580

From the Travel Section of the London/UK Independent newspaper two days ago, they have this headline: “10 Things to Do in Cartagena” with these highlights: Magical realism springs to life in Cartagena de Indias, the Caribbean jewel in Colombia’s crown. Akin to an open-air museum, the walled UNESCO World Heritage Site hides a wealth of colonial architecture and monuments, but you can also escape to one of the nearby beaches, a boat ride away, for a tropical experience.

Very nice, interesting profile on this top favorite location that we visited and loved in March 2017. Many good ideas, nice visuals, etc.

This article also notes: "Colonial pastel façades, lofty wooden entrances, incredible doors knockers, cobbled streets and an abundance of churches are enveloped within 16th-century walls. Cartagena is an architecture Instagrammer’s wet dream. Wandering the old town is enchanting but if you’re keen to know the meanings behind curiously named roads and that dolphin knocker, take a guided tour."

Full story at:

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/americas/cartagena-de-indias-things-to-do-what-see-attractions-colombia-caribbean-coast-las-murallas-salsa-a7934891.html

Panama Canal? Completed Feb. 28-Mar. 15, 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through the Panama Canal with our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! Those visuals start on the second page, post #26. See more at:

Thank you Terry! Great info!

And now a general question. I think I saw somewhere that you said you have a Nikon 7200. I recently upgraded to the 7200, and am loving it. Did you feel uncomfortable carrying your camera around in any of the ports?

Thank you Terry! Great info!

And now a general question. I think I saw somewhere that you said you have a Nikon 7200. I recently upgraded to the 7200, and am loving it. Did you feel uncomfortable carrying your camera around in any of the ports?

Appreciate your nice and kind follow-up. Have been very happy with both my Nikon D7100 and now the D7200. Excellent question!! The quick answer is NO, have not felt uncomfortable with my camera, doing these various ports and stops in Australia, Africa, Europe, Central America, the Caribbean, etc., during the past three and a half years.

BUT, here is an important, added point!! In most cases, I have been a part of a group and/or with a local tour guide. That helps in not being in the "wrong" areas . . . at the less-than-ideal times. Also, I am a 6'2" male who moves around fairly quickly with my eyes actively on the "look out" for things and photo opportunities. Be alert and aware of your environment is important, too! Other questions, info needs? Happy to share more.

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Just finished June 2017 sailing from Portugal to France along the scenic Atlantic Coast, plus great pre- and post-cruise experiences. Many interesting pictures and details on history, food, culture, etc., from my live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

• 4 months later...

From the New York Times Travel Section coming this Sunday, they have this headline: “52 Places to Go in 2018”with these highlights: After over a half-century of civil war coming to a close, Colombia is eager to become the adventurous, cosmopolitan hot spot it deserves to be. Foreign tourism rose 250 percent during the past decade. In the pulsating capital of Bogotá, dozens of luxe hotel chains have opened, while the food scene has gotten a boost from spots like Leonor Espinosa’s restaurant Leo. Elsewhere, you will find coffee fincas turned into luxury hotels, eco-resorts on isolated desert peninsulas and colonial buildings transformed into spa retreats. Once off-limit attractions like Pacific Coast rainforests and the rainbow-color river Caño Cristales are now in every guidebook.

Last year we super loved our first visit to Columbia. It was a brief sampling in Cartagena. BUT, wow the history, charm, etc., was wonderful there. Nice to see Columbia gets such high ratings and top recognition for this part of the world.

Full story at:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/travel/places-to-visit.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Ftravel&action=click&contentCollection=travel&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=sectionfront

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting, dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 36,490 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

• 8 months later...

From Travel+Leisure magazine earlier this year, they had this headline: Cartagena, the Fashion Crowd's New Favorite Hideaway with these highlights: Colorful streets, food with flavor you'll dream of for weeks, salsa music playing until the wee hours, and private islands on which to recover the next morning — the energy in Cartagena, Colombia right now is intoxicating. It’s no wonder the fashion set has elevated this high-contrast coastal town to It-City status." Lots of fashion and what to do tips for enjoying this historic, hip and charming city.

Within the past month, our son visited Cartagena for several days. His first visit to Colombia. He shared a number of pictures with us. These various images brought back some nice memories, plus showed some places that our limited time there did not allow us to be able to see. Below are some of those fun visuals.

Full story at:

https://www.travelandleisure.com/style/fashion/what-to-do-wear-cartagena-colombia

SE Asia/Mekong River, Etc.! Completed a Jan. 21-Feb. 20, 2018, first adventure through Southeast Asia with stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before traveling all over Vietnam and Cambodia. This includes seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Now at 35,789 views. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! See more at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2591474

Here are the first of the group of pictures from our son's visit to Cartagena during the past month. Lots of interesting history and architecture reflected in this charming town with so much character. Bring back any memories?:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

Screen%20Shot%202018-09-22%20at%204.43.03%20PM%201_zpssnigfn3l.jpg

Screen%20Shot%202018-09-22%20at%204.50.57%20PM%207_zpshczppc7o.jpg

Screen%20Shot%202018-09-22%20at%204.46.13%20PM%206_zpsnyvgrvve.jpg

Screen%20Shot%202018-09-22%20at%204.45.34%20PM%203_zpsnihbqgnb.jpg

Screen%20Shot%202018-09-22%20at%204.53.22%20PM%208_zpskbp63toa.jpg

Screen%20Shot%202018-09-22%20at%204.54.49%20PM%209_zpsgqisjng1.jpg

Here are the final three pictures from the large group that our son shared with us from his visit to Cartagena. This includes one fun food picture below.

Panama Canal? Completed Feb. 28-Mar. 15, 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through the Panama Canal with our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! Those visuals start on the second page, post #26. Now at 23,038 views. See more at:

Screen%20Shot%202018-09-22%20at%204.48.13%20PM%204_zpsevyos9h7.jpg

Screen%20Shot%202018-09-22%20at%204.46.57%20PM%205_zpsyb5msvlo.jpg

Screen%20Shot%202018-09-22%20at%204.44.25%20PM%202_zpskvs7kmtf.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

From the Travel Section of the London/UK Telegraph two days ago, they had this headline: “Best destinations for December sunfor their list of their top-15 December locations in the world to go for sun.

Here are the highlights for Cartagena that was on this list: It is sometimes forgotten that the Caribbean Sea stretches along the north coast of South America – where it washes against one of the continent’s most fabled cities. Cartagena was founded as a Spanish settlement in 1533, and has been a jewel on the map ever since. Visitors can wander amid echoes of the 16th century – or use the city as a base for wider exploration of Colombia, heading to Barranquilla, Santa Marta or Tayrona National Park.

Full story at:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/advice/winter-sun-where-to-go-in-december/

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean adventure that started in Barbados, here is the link for that live/blog. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.):

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 60,616 views for these postings.

From the Travel Section of the London/UK Sunday Times this morning, they had this headline: Our expert guide to Colombia with these highlights for Cartagena: Crammed with beautiful baroque churches, ringed with forts and set within walls that still bristle with cannons, Cartagena was the jewel of the Spanish colonial crown. This is Colombia’s must-see city. In the 16th and 17th centuries, when Inca gold poured out of the Americas on its way to Seville, Cartagena was on constant guard against English buccaneers. Take a cab to the Convent of Santa Cruz de la Popa (from £20 return) for a panorama of the city and imagine Francis Drake’s flotilla on the horizon. Or visit San Felipe de Barajas fort and picture the one-legged, one-armed and one-eyed Basque Blas de Lezo cavaliering around the cobbles on horseback and calling his troops to arms. On your final day, take a boat trip to the Rosario Islands — tiny coral cays set in aquamarine shallows — to spend the day snorkelling amid the tropical fish and marine turtles.

Full story at:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/travel/our-expert-guide-to-colombia-travel-guide-fs9ffbv5v

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting, dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 42,872 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

• 4 weeks later...

TLCOhio  You appear to be a major source of Cartegena info.  We are planning a Panama Canal cruise in 2019.  West to East.  We are in the early stages of pruning a large list of potential excursions down to something manageable.  On the surface, it appears that Cartagena is about the city, with the countryside more secondary.  There are a lot city options, including self tours and hop on hop off.  What kinds of suggestions do you have.  Within that category, is ther something that you feel is must see.  Thanks for any help

On 10/30/2018 at 11:05 AM, CarolandNate said:

TLCOhio  You appear to be a major source of Cartegena info.  We are planning a Panama Canal cruise in 2019.  West to East.  We are in the early stages of pruning a large list of potential excursions down to something manageable.  On the surface, it appears that Cartagena is about the city, with the countryside more secondary.  There are a lot city options, including self tours and hop on hop off.  What kinds of suggestions do you have.  Within that category, is ther something that you feel is must see.  Thanks for any help

Appreciate these kind comments and these follow-up questions.  Don't know that I am the best "expert" for Cartagena.  BUT, I am happy to respond to your good questions.  Yes, the city, especially the older, historic areas, are super fascinating and highly interesting.  BUT, most important would be as to what best fits your personal interests. If you really like countrysides and other related locations, there be options in this area to consider.  Not sure what is best for you.  On doing a ship/private tour . . . versus . . . seeing these places by self-tours or a hop-on/hop-off bus, that is a key, important decision.  There are various pro/con factors to consider.  For us, the dance program was very nice, plus getting the tour around their older areas of the city.  Personally, we like to be with a local expert who knows these areas, can explain what is important, answer our questions, etc.   If you do not know what you are seeing and understanding its importance, you miss lots, based on our experiences.  Just "walking around" is OK, but for us, we like to know more of the local background, its history, etc.  

Any other questions or reactions?

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Sydney to NZ/Auckland adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling for "down under” wonders. Exciting visuals with key highlights.  On page 15, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 214,460 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

10 hours ago, CarolandNate said:

I will be posting over time, once I get my thoughts together on this.  I welcome anything you can offer.  Just what you said here is helpful.

YES, keep researching and considering your various options.  In many ports, you have a number of good potentials to weigh.  By reading ahead and figuring out what best fits your personal interests makes a major difference.  Happy to share more.  Be sure to let us know more about your personal experiences and what you have enjoyed most in the past during your travels. 

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Wonderful scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 231,796 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

That said, we sort of have a plan.  There are some stops along the way where we feel that some things are must see.  And we want to make sure we get to them.  I know that Princess does not reserve excursions until 120 days prior.  Those must sees, I would rather not take a chance of getting shut out, so I plan to make reservations on them as soon as possible.  The must sees as far as I'm concerned are Puntarenas with Volcanoes and San Juan del Sur with Rainforests.  The length of those offered by Princess are such that it is going to be one and done on that given day.  I also feel that somewhere we would like to go to a beach and Puerto Vallarta seems to be the best for that (might be wrong, but).  That would also be the only activity that day.  The other three, Huatulco, Fuerte Amador and Cartegena have different types of categories as I see it.  Looks like Cartegena is about the city;  Fuerte is about the locks and the countryside; Huatulco is diverse.  We may piggyback if it is feasible, but I want to get a sense as to what is what.  In those three cases, maybe even Puerto Vallarta, we may wait until we get on the ship to book.  There appear to be a number of options in each category.  I have a list, but I would like to learn more and perhaps cull the list down over the next year.

Another reason I was thinking of waiting on some was for insurance purposes.  I used Travel Guard in Alaska and they cover you from door to door.  The catch is that you have to pay anything that is non refundable ahead of the trip to maintain a pre-existing conditions clause if you cancel the trip.  I was told that the cancellation of excursions can be as late as five days before the excursion, so that if one cancelled an excursion they would not be out the price of the excursion.  Thus they would not have to insure it.  Without that, one would have insure $90, $100, $130 or so on the policy.  Waiting until the trip starts would be fine, but then you take a chance that it would be booked.  But apparently that's not an issue.

At some point, I will put some specifics together for questions.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to have missed these above posts from CarolandNate.  It would be best with any questions to post on the Princess board live/blog at:

More like to catch such inquires and be able to respond. Happy to share more info and experiences. 

From the travel Section of the London/UK Evening Standard newspaper earlier this month, they had this headline: “What to see, eat and do in Cartagena, Colombia” with these highlights: “Cartagena, founded by the Spanish in 1533 and named after their port city, has plenty to attract the growing number of visitors to Colombia.  With a clutch of award-winning restaurants, Instagrammable murals and buildings and compelling historical sites, its relentless energy won’t fail to seduce.  El Centro is the main historical district, a mass of maze-like streets leading to secluded squares overshadowed by domed churches. All around is noise, scent and colour; food sellers peddle patacones (slices of fried plantain) or thick cornmeal arepas, while palenqueras — traditional Afro-Caribbean fruit sellers, in vivid, primary-coloured, frilled dresses — hustle for selfies with tourists and salsa music spills out of almost every bar and cafe.”

This article brings back nice memories from our visit to this charming, scenic and historic city. 

Full story at:

https://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/travel/cartagena-colombia-travel-city-guide-a4331551.html

Recently completed Calgary, Jasper/Banff National Parks, Western Canada Rocky Mountaineer rail adventure, Vancouver, sailing up to Alaska, post-cruise excursion to Denali, etc.  Lots of visuals and details from our first visits to these scenic areas!!  That live/blog is at: 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2682584-live-terryohio-silver-muse-alaska-canadarockies-pix’s/

Many colorful and interesting visuals were featured as a part of this detailed profile.  This visual shown below was from their local tourism office.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)474990440_ScreenShot2020-01-26at12_42_24PM.thumb.png.94ce070db9dff935c865290f1df63861.png