Streaming Music in Cabins or Onboard

ChuckandDiPNW

Just curious if anyone has infomation or experience streaming music in cabins or in the public areas onboard such as lounging around the pool decks. etc. via an IPhone or Android phone. We're booked in a PH suite and know the room offers internet access and a laptop & iPad. Not sure if connecting via offered or personal electronics is possible and having such would actually come through the rooms sound system.

No LOUD music, just some nice easy listening, low volume ambiance level music. Thanks for the input!

There is no sound system in the PH level rooms. They start with the Oceania Suite and up.

Do you have a small bluetooth speaker, just bring that. We use a small one when we are packing and unpacking. Of course around the pool you'll want headphones.

I'm going on a cruise line soon that doesn't have music channels on the room TV. Therefore, I just purchased a bluetooth-equipped small speaker to use with my phone. It (JAM Replay) is only the size of a tennis ball, is easy to pair with the phone (or a tablet) and runs for 5 hours on each charge. For quality, I suppose there are better choices (maybe Bose, or maybe second JAM for stereo?) but for the size and price, I'm very happy with my JAM Replay.

I recently returned from a cruise on Riviera (September 2017) and based on my experience, I would not count on being able to stream music using the onboard Wi-Fi at any location. I had been warned that the Wi-Fi wasn't very good on Riviera, and I will say that it ended up being better than I expected. But it wasn't able to handle audio or video streaming without lots of buffering.

In our cabin, I was able to use email, read news and use most apps. But the Wi-Fi signal was not sufficiently strong in the cabin to attach photos, or sometimes even to view photos in apps or in online articles. I was never successfully able to stream music or news in the cabin unless we were in port and I could use my phone as a Wi-Fi hotspot, bypassing the ship's Wi-Fi altogether.

I did find several spots around the ship with better connectivity. I had the best luck with the covered outdoor seating area just outside of the fitness center. There, I could attach photos and view photos (though uploading did take a while), but there still wasn't sufficient bandwidth to stream audio without it constantly pausing.

Additionally, the Wi-Fi was noticeably faster after midnight, but even then I didn't have much luck with streaming in any location. I also brought both Android and Apple devices onboard, and noticed no difference in the speed when I switched devices.

Things may be different in the penthouse, but it would be a safer bet to have some music downloaded to your device so that you won't have to count on streaming.

Thanks all for the responses. Figured the wi-fi option may be sketchy based on various thread feedback, but never hurts to post the question as things can change. Certainly the best option is a mp3 or similar device with direct connect to a compact travel speaker. Situation solved!

Cheers!