Marina & Riviera in Bordeaux

Cruise Junky

I believe only the R ships are capable of going up the river to the city of Bordeaux and then only if the tides are right. The O ships dock at La Verdon at the mouth of the river, some distance from the city.

Yup the R Class can go up the river and dock in the city which is great. Walk right off and 5 a very quick walk into tow. O ships are quite a ways away from what I hear and it takes awhile to get there. Still Bordeaux is worth going to no matter which way you have to go.

Thanks. I'm looking at a couple of the new releases for 2019 and one on Marina fits the bill perfectly but looking at a calendar it looks like it puts us in Bordeaux on Easter Monday so I'll have to look what might be open in term of wine tours.

Thanks. I'm looking at a couple of the new releases for 2019 and one on Marina fits the bill perfectly but looking at a calendar it looks like it puts us in Bordeaux on Easter Monday so I'll have to look what might be open in term of wine tours.
According to Google maps Le Verdon to Bordeaux is 100 km, 1 hour 36 min in normal traffic. Not too handy. [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

Nope :( I wish they'd put that on their itineraries. Marina has a few that just say Bordeaux.

It was mentioned somewhere on our documentation but we found it only after we read somewhere else that many ships had to dock at Le Verdon instead of at Bordeaux. We docked at Bordeaux for an overnight on our Sept Nautica trip but even the R ships have to leave when the tides are right. So the ship left the next morning and we returned to the ship at Le Verdon which is in the middle of nowhere. Our research made it seem like you needed to take a ship tour if the ship moved so we did that the second day. We did not find out if anyone was able to take a private tour from Le Verdon but I repeat, there is nothing there to go and see. In other words see if you must take ship tours or if you can take private tours from the O ships at Le Verdon.

It was mentioned somewhere on our documentation but we found it only after we read somewhere else that many ships had to dock at Le Verdon instead of at Bordeaux. We docked at Bordeaux for an overnight on our Sept Nautica trip but even the R ships have to leave when the tides are right. So the ship left the next morning and we returned to the ship at Le Verdon which is in the middle of nowhere. Our research made it seem like you needed to take a ship tour if the ship moved so we did that the second day. We did not find out if anyone was able to take a private tour from Le Verdon but I repeat, there is nothing there to go and see. In other words see if you must take ship tours or if you can take private tours from the O ships at Le Verdon.

We were on a cruise a couple of years ago that docked in Le Verdon. I did arrange a private tour out of that port and we toured the Medoc region which was really lovely! If anyone wants the name of the tour guide email me.

According to Google maps Le Verdon to Bordeaux is 100 km, 1 hour 36 min in normal traffic. Not too handy. [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

Yes, the larger ships dock at Le Verdon. It is a good hour and a half drive to Bordeaux. Also, there is NOTHING in the Le Verdon Port. There is a small village nearby, but we had to walk as there was no transportation at the port. We hired a private driver to take us into Bordeaux and visit other wineries in the area.

I must have dreamt our overnight right in Bordeaux city centre on Marina on the September 24th sailing from Amsterdam to Lisbon :confused::confused::confused:

Did you dock in Le Verdon? I'm looking at that same cruise and I'd rather not dock in Le Verdon. What a waste of an overnight in such a beautiful city. How did you like that cruise and did you have good weather?

Seems like it's dependent on tides. Nice to know it's possible though. I'm ok with us doing the land trip. The cruise we liked does infact go into Bordeaux on Easter Monday but not until 11:00 am. There's just not enough time to accomplish what we want to do especially if they can't dock intown.