Looking for ideas for our first day in Budapest.

mozfoz

We are doing the Uniworld Christmas Market Cruise leaving from Budapest. Any ideas on how to spend the first evening in the city? Not sure if a night river cruise is included with the cruise, but would appears to be a nice option. Also, we are considering a nice restaurant for dinner, skipping the ships dinner. Not sure if thats a good idea or not. Any comments are appreciated. Thanks.

I can't speak for the UniWorld Christmas Market cruise, but I have both begun and ended cruises (not UniWorld) with an overnight on-board in Budapest and have indeed had a night cruise past Parliament, Castle Hill, Chain Bridge etc. I suspect that having dinner at a nice restaurant in town would make timing difficult to include the delightful night drive-by sailing.

Your itinerary doesn't seem to specify whether there is a scenic nighttime cruise...assuming you're doing the 8-day holiday market cruise.

We did a non-holiday market cruise on the same itinerary and we did the night cruise which was very enjoyable. I'd be bummed if they didn't do that for every sailing. It fits the schedule well.

We embarked at a pier out of town near Margaret Island, and moved to a nicer pier by the chain bridge after our evening cruise. So the evening cruise was a handy means of changing piers.

If there isn't an evening cruise planned, go out on the town by all means. One attraction that stays open later is Hospital in the Rock. It's two blocks from St. Matthias Church. Well worth the visit. Then take in a stunning view of Pest as you walk down the hill. The view of Parliament from Batthyány Tér rivals that from the boat, IMO.

We did a ton of stuff in Budapest when we were there pre-cruise last spring. Trip report has more details and other suggestions.

PS it gets dark early in December. Depending on the timing, you may be able to have your cruise, and go out to dinner. Try seeing if Uniworld can tell you whether there's scenic cruising, and when.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

JP must be too modest...he has a great write-up, complete with Google map of all the places he and his wife explored in Budapest. I used much of that info while planning our 3 night independent visit prior to our cruise.

If you look under his user name the trip report should show up.

I thanked you before JP and I'll do it again! Writing from rainy Westport Ireland. Where at least it is dry in the pubs. :)

Our goal for our first day Europe is to stay busy and awake and get on the local schedule. We usually drop our bags and have a few things scoped out to keep us on the move. When room is ready, we unpack, shower and get ready for dinner.

We love Budapest and would certainly opt for dinner in town if the time frame allowed. I agree that the cruise with the city all lit up is not to be missed.

We are doing the Uniworld Christmas Market Cruise leaving from Budapest. Any ideas on how to spend the first evening in the city? Not sure if a night river cruise is included with the cruise, but would appears to be a nice option. Also, we are considering a nice restaurant for dinner, skipping the ships dinner. Not sure if thats a good idea or not. Any comments are appreciated. Thanks.

We spent a few days in Budapest prior to boarding our Christmas markets trip last year in Vienna. For our first night in Budapest, we had booked a Legenda dinner cruise online (legenda@legenda.hu) before we left. They have options for a full dinner, or you can just book the cruise and order off the a la carte menu (which is what we did). It was a great way to get an introduction to the river lights at night, and the food was very good and the pricing was very fair. All in all a nice way to spend a few hours (and it got us to stay up until bedtime!).

The other thing we did during one day was a Taste Hungary Christmas Markets and Food Tour. Again, I'd highly recommend it! We ended up the only two on the tour and got to sample some of the best foods (and drinks!) or the markets.

For great local food, we really liked Hungarikum Bisztro - but make a reservation. Also, Don Leone/Krudy's was excellent for local fare.

We got to Budapest a few days earlier than our cruise and booked a taste Budapest Walking tour, tickets to the Nutcracker was a highlight and we are not ballet people, walking around the Christmas markets, going to Parliament building, walking around the Fishermans Bastion or taking in the baths, we even did a day out in wine country, also the Synagogue just so much to see.

You will probably spend your first day in the Christmas market where there is plenty to eat and drink. Both at very reasonable prices, relative to the other markets you will visit. Make sure and visit the cathedral there while your touring the markets. At night, the lights of the palace and the bridge are spectacular. Budapest is a pretty cool place, although most people don't have any ideas about it.

Hey JP. Would be interested in reading your reports, etc. I clicked on the link from your profile but it's not good anymore?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The links work from my laptop using a web browser (checked this morning again) but they don't seem to work from my phone. Since you posted from your iPhone, I suspect that is the issue. I've found that I can't open most links posted on the forums unless I use my laptop.

Mozfoz, which cruise are you on with Uniworld? We are on the cruise starting in Budapest Dec. 2.

I do not know how helpful this comment will be as we haven't been in Budapest since 1974, but from what I have read, the famous old Gellert Hotel is still in existence and still grand (we are headed back to Budapest on November 5 for Uniworld Enchanting Danube river cruise).

They have wonderful hot spring baths in the Gellert, wonderful massage facilities, and what used to be the best restaurant in Budapest.

If you have a day before the cruise, I would go to the Gellert for a massage and a soak, and perhaps a meal.