Port Change Advice - Cruise Next Week

nianoel

Hi all,

I'd appreciate any advice/reassurance because right now I'm pretty bummed. Our 10th anniversary is next week and we're booked on the Holland America Nieuw Amsterdam eastern European cruise departing Fort Lauderdale. We originally were supposed to go to San Juan, St. Thomas, Grand Turk and Half Moon Cay.

Obviously, the hurricanes change that but we didn't cancel because we've been through hurricanes personally and wanted to support the islands. Then the itinerary totally changed and we were to go to St. Croix, Cap Cana and Nassau, as well as Half Moon Cay. We decided to roll with it - St. Croix seemed like an equal swap and Cap Cana interesting. Well, now we're not going to St. Croix, we're going to Amber Cove - another Carnival island.

I understand that in comparison to what the hurricane-ravaged islands are going through this is minor but this is also the only trip my husband and I have taken together in 10 years and a splurge for us. Had we wanted to visit the Bahamas and two Carnival islands, we could have done so for a third of the price. I know options are limited but I can't help being really disappointed.

Can a more experienced cruiser weigh in on these ports and maybe help me get excited again. Right now I just want to cry.

Hi all,

I'd appreciate any advice/reassurance because right now I'm pretty bummed. Our 10th anniversary is next week and we're booked on the Holland America Nieuw Amsterdam eastern European cruise departing Fort Lauderdale. We originally were supposed to go to San Juan, St. Thomas, Grand Turk and Half Moon Cay.

Obviously, the hurricanes change that but we didn't cancel because we've been through hurricanes personally and wanted to support the islands. Then the itinerary totally changed and we were to go to St. Croix, Cap Cana and Nassau, as well as Half Moon Cay. We decided to roll with it - St. Croix seemed like an equal swap and Cap Cana interesting. Well, now we're not going to St. Croix, we're going to Amber Cove - another Carnival island.

I understand that in comparison to what the hurricane-ravaged islands are going through this is minor but this is also the only trip my husband and I have taken together in 10 years and a splurge for us. Had we wanted to visit the Bahamas and two Carnival islands, we could have done so for a third of the price. I know options are limited but I can't help being really disappointed.

Can a more experienced cruiser weigh in on these ports and maybe help me get excited again. Right now I just want to cry.

I was actually talking to a friend the other day whose opinion I respect very much and she was raving about Amber Cove. It's different than HMC and different and better than Turks and Caicos in their opinion.

I haven't been to Amber Cove but a lot of people seem to like it - so look upon this as an adventure and enjoy your splurge and cruise.

We go to enjoy ourselves regardless of the ports. I say that as I believe your trip will be as great as you allow it to be. You are on a floating resort. At worst case, stay on board at HMC or Amber Cove, although I'd suggest at least checking them out. You don't have to stay ashore. Enjoy your time together seeing new stuff, eating well, dancing in the Queen's Lounge to the BB king All Stars, or chasing each other around the cabin. Why do you think cruise cabins are small, anyway?

We're celebrating our 35th on the NA starting in 3 weeks. We hope you enjoy your anniversary!

I am with you in your disappointment, nianoel. My husband and I LOVE Grand Turk, so this was the first big let down. We've been to Nassau a million times as most cruisers have. I don't hate it but don't really want to go there again. And I had a feeling that San Juan and St Thomas would get replaced with other ports since their destruction was so severe. When HAL decided on St. Croix and Cap Cana, we were excited since we'd never been to either port. Now no St Croix and yet ANOTHER port in the Dominican Republic? UGH. This sucks. And this is my first HAL cruise. So two stops in the Bahamas and two stops in the Domincan Republic. I wish they would have considered Antigua or Aruba or any place other than the Bahamas or the Domincan Republic! I am extremely disappointed.

Amber Cove is a pretty spot. The water near the port was really murky when we were there, but there is a beach off to the left, around the point that looked interesting. If we go back we'll probably check that out. But the time we did go there, we hung out at the free pool/bar area---a good substitute for Margaritaville at Grand Turk. If you'd like to see my blog from there, check out:

http://crusanwithsusan.blogspot.com/2016/12/2016-12-7-amber-cove-dominican-republic.html

Edited by slabeaume

. Well, now we're not going to St. Croix, we're going to Amber Cove - another Carnival island.

Just so you are aware, Amber Cove is not an island, rater at the edge of Puerto Plata in the DR. Lovely Place. Looking forward to it next month.

Ken

We'll be with you on this upcoming cruise on the NA, also celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary! Yes, I understand the disappointment completely, I wish there were other options too. My DH and I both decided, it doesn't matter where we go....yes this seems to be more of a "beach trip" this time. So be it. It'll force us to just relax instead of running from place to place to see the sights. Too, there is something to be said for meeting new people in a relaxed setting, find you enjoy the company, camaraderie and adult bevvies. Some of our best times have been those days and nights of just sitting around talking, laughing and dancing. We'll make it fun, we'll make it memorable. No it isn't what we expected, but travelling is about expecting the unexpected. Acknowledge your disappointment then decide what you can do to mitigate it.....I suggest we and our spouses meet for a 10-cenary anniversary drink, say in the Ocean Bar?

We're changed to Cap Cana, and I wish it was Amber Cove. We were there the first of this year and it's very nice and well set up. Not a beach mind you, but a lovely free form pool, comfy loungers and looks like it's very new. At Cap Cana, you have to take transportation to a beach in Punta Cana. I'd vote for Amber Cove as you walk off the ship and everything is there.

OP

A few years ago we had booked a Collectors Cruise -- doing the Western Caribbean cruise first and then the Eastern Caribbean. We were already on the ship and sitting in Key West ready to head when the captain announced (at 8 PM) that thanks to Hurricane Paula we would be heading to the east instead. That meant that we would be doing 2 Eastern Caribbean cruises.

We didn't let it bother us. Sure we had a couple of ports that repeated themselves. But I looked at it this way: no cleaning in the house, no cooking, no making beds, no washing, no ironing, etc.

Go and enjoy yourselves. You will have a good time with crew taking care of you.

Sorry you are disappointed. Hope this helps: whenever we go on a cruise, we hold hands and look out at the water and say “How many millions of people would give anything to change places with us right now?” Kind of changes your perspective. Enjoy your cruise

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When we stop at HMC we have an "agenda" we found works well for us:

1 - We relax in the morning and have a leisurely room service breakfast.

2 - Catch the tender to the island for a late morning umbrella drink - something citrusy of course.

3 - Back on the tender for lunch on the ship in the (very uncrowded) Lido

4 - Time together at the ship's pool (again very uncrowded)

5 - Grab another umbrella drink and join in on the sail-away activities

6 - A nap?? :D

I have to agree with the posts saying that just being on the ship together is a real treat. In 30 days we leave on the Konigsdam and one of our ports is Amber Cay. I've got to say I'm pumped! Not so much for the pool area (we can do that at home!), but there is an inexpensive zip line and we also have booked a tour to Ocean World that has sea animal shows and other activities--it looks like a fun day.

Nassau can also be a good day. The Atlantis Hotel is very pretty inside. I think there are some Chihouly glass chandeliers and an outstanding marine animal viewing area inside. There are some hotels that offer day-use to ship passengers for a fee. The straw market is worth a little stroll. Get your hair braided! haha.

Half Moon Cay is always delightful--such clear water to lounge around in on a float or you can snorkel.

So, you have a nice relaxing time scheduled--Chin up!

We are on the cruise with you and we share your feelings. I do not think that HA is doing enough to compensate the passengers as the replacement ports are not equivalent to the original ports. HA will also save a ton in fuel cost (i presume) because all stops in the DR and Nassau are closer to the embarkation point of Port Everglades, than Grand Turk, San Juan and ST Thomas. This is my third cruise with a change of ports due to a hurricane, but it is the first time I have felt like less desirable ports are being used. Bahamas cruises are the least expensive in the Caribbean. This is now a 50% Bahamas cruise. It also did not help that the cruise line slashed the prices after the changes (25 to 30 percent),

We are on the cruise with you and we share your feelings. I do not think that HA is doing enough to compensate the passengers as the replacement ports are not equivalent to the original ports

Is HAL doing ANYTHING to compensate for the change of ports? I would be surprised if they did, because the terms of contract part it changes. Also, if they did, they would be open to innumerable claims of insufficiency.

The cruising public being the way they are (at least as they so often appear on these boards) - whatever is offered as compensation is rarely seen as sufficient.

Hi all,

Hello!

I am a very positive person. I am also honest. I think that your expectations will not be met on this new itinerary. If you can get your money back you should do so. Or wait a few more months for the islands to get back on their feet. I am from Puerto Rico and I have visited about 90% of The Caribbean islands on land tours, personal trips, and chartered boats. Your replacement ports are nothing like the original trip.

Even if you do decide to go. Please have a wonderful time.

http://www.goneawayagain.com

Hi all,

Hi,

While I can’t comment to the ports or even the ship you are going on, I agree with many of the comments you have already received. The ports don’t matter. The fact that you are together, celebrating a very special time, is what is important.

Enjoy your time together and all the amenities that I am sure are on the ship. Let go of your preconceived thoughts and you will have a great time.

Patti

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Folks, also consider that it's not just a single ship that needs to change a single itinerary; there are LOTS of ships on LOTS of cruise lines that have LOTS of sailings that have been affected by the devastation of many Caribbean ports. The other ports can only take so many ships that weren't already on their schedule. I'm sure all the lines are trying their best to make the best of the situation given the many constraints they're facing. I definitely understand OP's disappointment in the changes to the ports of their special cruise, but I hope they can roll with the punches, enjoy each other's company, and enjoy the alternate ports and shipboard activities. Happy Anniversary!

We've been to all of the ports (originals + replacements + new replacements) and I will say that the Caribbean is lovely no matter where you go. Sitting on deck or on your balcony enjoying a sunset, watching the blue waters, savouring a delicious dinner together. We visited Amber Cove for the first time on our last cruise. It's a lovely, somewhat sanitized cruise pier. We booked a great tour that went to the cigar factory, through Santiago and to various other interesting sites - was a great day! I admit Nassau is probably my least favourite stop, but you can either stay on the ship, book a spa treatment or something like that.

I am so sorry that this is happening for your special trip and I sure understand your disappointment. Of course it's minor compared to what the islanders are going through but you are still entitled to feel bad that your vacation will not be what you hoped and planned for.

That being said I think once you get on the ship and start to relax (preferably with an adult beverage) you will have a wonderful time enjoying a well deserved getaway with your sweetie!

Happy Anniversary!

Is HAL doing ANYTHING to compensate for the change of ports? I would be surprised if they did, because the terms of contract part it changes. Also, if they did, they would be open to innumerable claims of insufficiency.

The cruising public being the way they are (at least as they so often appear on these boards) - whatever is offered as compensation is rarely seen as sufficient.

Hurricanes are ACTS OF GOD .... not man-made negligence. Not sure why someone expects compensation.:confused:

DH and I will be joining you on this cruise. We are looking at he port changes as an adventure since we have never been to DR before.

If we are not impressed, it's back to the ship for some quality verandah time. And I have to say that Half Moon Cay is one of my favorite beaches in the Caribbean. I'd be happy to drop anchor there for a few days.

The Nieuw Amsterdam is a beautiful ship and you will be well taken care of by the staff. Have a wonderful anniversary and enjoy the ride. I'll be celebrating a birthday and can't think of a better way to spend it.

We are also on this cruise and are determined to have a great time regardless of where we go!

We are also celebrating our anniversary. Our 44th! OP we hope you have a great cruise! Happy 10th!

Sent from my XT1650 using Forums mobile app

You have a wonderful attitude. So refreshing. Happy anniversary and have a wonderful time!