Accessible cabin availability

1980dory

I wasn't aware how hard it is to book an accessible cabin, but it does make sense given the limited quantity on each ship.

We're booked on Harmony in February and had to change one of our cabins to accessible because one in our group has a progressive disease and will need a scooter by then. When I called about it, I first asked if a scooter would fit in a regular balcony cabin and what the configuration of the bed vs sofa was in relation to the balcony. If the bed was next to the balcony, and if we could fit the scooter through the door, it could be parked in front of the sofa. If the bed was next to the bathroom, there would be no way to get the scooter past the bathroom and we'd have to change our cabin. No luck on that, so we had to change to an accessible.

Months ago when it looked like we might need one but we weren't sure yet, I called to see what the odds were on getting one in the future if needed. At the time I was told there weren't any available and we'd have to change to a jr suite. Good thing there were two available in our category when I called again last week, so it was a lateral exchange. And they found a way to save $500 on the price too!

I haven't had too much trouble getting them. Last year, on a last minute opportunity, I had to pick Allure over Oasis because Allure had accessible cabins available while Oasis did not. Other than that, I've gotten one every time I've needed one. I also run an annual group where all of us are disabled to some degree, but about 25 - 35% require the features of the HC cabins. I block the space almost two years in advance. Often times, I have to arrange for one person to park their scooter in the cabin of another person because there aren't enough accessible cabins. It would be nice if they could create little "parking areas" near a block of cabins so people who ONLY need scooters don't need the extra cabin space. Most of the time, all I need is the space to park my scooter. When my illness or back issues are really flaring up, I also need the shower seat. Otherwise, I could do without most of the accessible features

I haven't had too much trouble getting them. Last year, on a last minute opportunity, I had to pick Allure over Oasis because Allure had accessible cabins available while Oasis did not. Other than that, I've gotten one every time I've needed one. I also run an annual group where all of us are disabled to some degree, but about 25 - 35% require the features of the HC cabins. I block the space almost two years in advance. Often times, I have to arrange for one person to park their scooter in the cabin of another person because there aren't enough accessible cabins. It would be nice if they could create little "parking areas" near a block of cabins so people who ONLY need scooters don't need the extra cabin space. Most of the time, all I need is the space to park my scooter. When my illness or back issues are really flaring up, I also need the shower seat. Otherwise, I could do without most of the accessible features

Same, somewhere to park and a standard cabin is fine for me most of the time. The only time I really need the extra space is when I’m also on a walker.