Inida - Visas

Critique999

Update . . . . After many ambiguous and misleading emails from VFS and the Indian Consulate in Birmingham telling me I MUST make an appointment to submit my application and giving me just three options, London, Birmingham and Edinburgh, today I walked into the Consulate in Liverpool expecting to be turned away but hoping that I could make an appointment to submit it there. I was the only person there, the lady behind the counter said "no problem we'll get it done now!" I had no 2" photos (because I didn't expect to 'get it done') and she wanted a print out of the cruise itinerary with both our names on (which I also didn't have because I didn't know it was required). She gave me her email address (they don't have a phone!) and told me to come back Monday morning and I would have the visas in 5 working days. I can't believe how it went from impossibly difficult to "sign here, pay the money and pick it up a week Monday." In fact I don't believe it but I live in hope.

• Information received direct from Celebrity in an email:

Guests from the United Kingdom amongst other countries MUST obtain a single/multiple entry Tourist Visa (they are the same price) for India before beginning their travel. Please be advised that the Indian ‘E-Visa’ is NOT valid when entering India by sea. Therefore ALL guests will be required to obtain the Regular (Tourist) Visa prior to travel; anyone without it will be denied boarding. You may apply directly by visiting the High Commission of India’s website at:

At the risk of derailing this thread . . . Yes they do say that but they are WRONG. India does not have the facilities to accept E-Visas at all ports of entry but THEY DO have it at Goa AND I have it in writing from the Immigration authorities in India and the Port authorities in Mumbai that they WILL accept an E-Visa as after entering through Goa we enter Mumbai without leaving Indian water. AND, I have it in writing from Celebrity that they accept that as CORRECT (can have an E-Visa) but advise against it because there will be a queue getting through the immigration in Goa!

I have succumbed to the pressure to conform but I WILL be looking at that queue in Goa and if I have been mislead by Celebrity I will spend the next 12 months writing letters of complaint to everyone and their dog. (and I know you're reading this Duncan)

At the risk of derailing this thread . . . Yes they do say that but they are WRONG. India does not have the facilities to accept E-Visas at all ports of entry but THEY DO have it at Goa AND I have it in writing from the Immigration authorities in India and the Port authorities in Mumbai that they WILL accept an E-Visa as after entering through Goa we enter Mumbai without leaving Indian water. AND, I have it in writing from Celebrity that they accept that as CORRECT (can have an E-Visa) but advise against it because there will be a queue getting through the immigration in Goa!

I have succumbed to the pressure to conform but I WILL be looking at that queue in Goa and if I have been mislead by Celebrity I will spend the next 12 months writing letters of complaint to everyone and their dog. (and I know you're reading this Duncan)

The immigration man in the VFS office in Bradford told us that the e-visa is not excepted by port authorities only by air. For the sake of a bit of time and a little bit more money don’t you think it’s better to be safe than sorry ?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It doesn't matter that you feel they (Celebrity) are wrong! You are attempting to board a Celebrity ship, they set the rules and if they require you to have a full multi entry Tourist Visa, that is that!! Alternative may easily be you stand on the dockside on embarkation day watching your ship sail away without you - your choice.

We now have an Visa application office in the centre of Newcastle. Since our last application some 3 years ago, they appear to have opened a multitude of 'branch' offices. It says in the small print for the offices that come under the Birmingham durisdiction (of which Newcastle is listed) that applicants over the age of 65 have the opportunity of just walking in without an appointment between the hours of 10.30-11.30am Monday - to Friday. So a big difference from when we applied previously. The cost of the special delivery alone was outrageous. They have quoted £39 as the application price. Anyone who has done it recently care to confirm this is correct?

We now have an Visa application office in the centre of Newcastle. Since our last application some 3 years ago, they appear to have opened a multitude of 'branch' offices. It says in the small print for the offices that come under the Birmingham durisdiction (of which Newcastle is listed) that applicants over the age of 65 have the opportunity of just walking in without an appointment between the hours of 10.30-11.30am Monday - to Friday. So a big difference from when we applied previously. The cost of the special delivery alone was outrageous. They have quoted £39 as the application price. Anyone who has done it recently care to confirm this is correct?

Hi

We went to the office near us last week ( VFS Global) and altogether it has cost us ( each ) just under £122 but we got our own pre paid envelopes ( next day delivery) which cost about £15 for two but that was still cheaper than what they charge. So hopefully we will get them back soon although it’s been Devalli this week so the offices will of been closed .

Yes I think you are right. We also went to the Newcastle office and totalled £150 altogether, to include cost of visa, photos....done at Tesco

and the special delivery, which was the only option.

I had hoped we could collect them in person but was told NO.

I think if we had researched this beforehand we might have had second thoughts over the cruise. Lets hope its all worth the cost.

I had further email conversations with Celebrity about this as I found information online that from 1/11/17 evisas will be accepted. (See link below if interested). However, the problem is that the Indian officials don’t have the capacity to process the visas en-route from Oman as they do with the tourist visa. This means you take the risk of wasting a lot of time disembarking, not worth it in my view. Bureaucracy is also rife and although they say they will accept evisas for cruises, on the day there are no guarantees.

It will get easier in time as India has clearly woken up to the need to make the process easier for cruise passengers, but sadly not in time for our trip.

http://mumbaiport.gov.in/writereaddata/linkimages/6111212918.pdf

When we were on Constellation over Xmas there were people that the Indian Officials to let ashore as they had the wrong type of visa. Some had private tours booked and lost a lot of money, I would rather pay for the correct visa and take it as part of the cruise the immigration people that come onboard are a rule to themselves. We thought China was tough for visa but welcome to India!!

When we were on Constellation over Xmas there were people that the Indian Officials to let ashore as they had the wrong type of visa. Some had private tours booked and lost a lot of money, I would rather pay for the correct visa and take it as part of the cruise the immigration people that come onboard are a rule to themselves. We thought China was tough for visa but welcome to India!!

I think you meant too say the people without visas were refused to go ashore by the Indian Immigration Officials?

China, India and Russia are all tough for visas. It's just part and parcel of what we have to do/pay for exploring the world...

Yes I think you are right. We also went to the Newcastle office and totalled £150 altogether, to include cost of visa, photos....done at Tesco

and the special delivery, which was the only option.

I had hoped we could collect them in person but was told NO.

I think if we had researched this beforehand we might have had second thoughts over the cruise. Lets hope its all worth the cost.

Are you sure that’s for a tourist visa ? It is too cheap I think they have quoted you for an evisa