Internet Speed on Serenade of the Seas

... I was on Jewel several years ago and it was painfully slow.

Serenade uses the same internet service as Jewel did several years ago, but they have supposedly increased the bandwidth, so the download speed should be better, but as mentioned above, the latency (delay) will be the same poor performance.

Serenade uses the same internet service as Jewel did several years ago, but they have supposedly increased the bandwidth, so the download speed should be better, but as mentioned above, the latency (delay) will be the same poor performance.

Thank-you both for the feedback. I would only use it for email, return flight checkin and possibly FB,

Thank-you both for the feedback. I would only use it for email, return flight checkin and possibly FB,

That's all we use it for. On Serenade TA last month even kept a reliable signal while between Greenland and Iceland (checking on our Florida kids: middle of hurricane) which is supposedly a hard place to keep a satellite lock. It is much better than it was even a year or so ago, even worked when we lost TV signal (news was only drivel from CNN, so it was a welcome loss).

Never tried streaming anything - but for light use it worked well for us.

I am onboard now. Regular (non-stream) is very slow.

Here are my speedtest results:

Ping 575 Download .59 Mbps Upload .18 Mbps

Slightly faster than old school dialup modems

Prettry poor. Thanks for the info.

I just disembarked the Serenade on Saturday and I found the internet very fast with no issues. Yet I did read the posts of others, who stated it was slow. That was not my experience. I'm wondering if cabin location could be a factor?

I just disembarked the Serenade on Saturday and I found the internet very fast with no issues.

Describing internet performance is about as subjective as food. Thankfully for VOOM, we have objective measures such as ping and download speed.

I just disembarked the Serenade on Saturday and I found the internet very fast with no issues. Yet I did read the posts of others, who stated it was slow. That was not my experience. I'm wondering if cabin location could be a factor?

Could be, we were forward, closer proximity to the bridge when we streamed FIOS.

I am forward (7002) ans ahd the SURF package, not the SURF and STREAM package.

I was told by their tech support people my performance is good (for this ship) but it about 1/2 of what it would be on other ships because of the technology they have on Serenade.

Trying to do any browsing of the news, with photo intensive sites, can be painful.

I am forward (7002) ans ahd the SURF package, not the SURF and STREAM package.

I was told by their tech support people my performance is good (for this ship) but it about 1/2 of what it would be on other ships because of the technology they have on Serenade.

Trying to do any browsing of the news, with photo intensive sites, can be painful.

That's why you need stream also. We were in the cabin above you on deck 8.

That's why you need stream also..

Stream will not help much on a non O3B ship like Serenade. It's not lack of download speed which kills performance (Stream is almost 10x faster than Surf) it's latency which is the same for both tiers..