Catalonia Independence information

nolegirl01

Hello, we are arriving in Barcelona on Thursday Oct. 26. We are on the Epic on the 29th. We really wanted to go out and explore the city and are waiting to see how the situation develops before booking any tours around the city. Can anyone that’s in Barcelona give us a little bit of insight on what’s going on and how things are in the Barcelona? More curious on how things are going to develop over the next 2 weeks since we will be there. It’s our first time in Barcelona and I’m a little sad we might have to stay in our hotel while people protest. This was not what I was looking forward to. [emoji17]

We are in Barcelona now with cruise tomorrow

Our hotel is near pl catallunya and as we were in taxi getting here could see some barricades and police cars in preparation for 5 pm demonstration going on now

We can hear s helicopter circling but whether that’s police or news reporters don’t know

Can hear some crowd voices but also watching live on hotel tv and it all looks very peaceful on side of demonstrators who are filling main streets not far from here

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are in Barcelona now with cruise tomorrow

Our hotel is near pl catallunya and as we were in taxi getting here could see some barricades and police cars in preparation for 5 pm demonstration going on now

We can hear s helicopter circling but whether that’s police or news reporters don’t know

Can hear some crowd voices but also watching live on hotel tv and it all looks very peaceful on side of demonstrators who are filling main streets not far from here

Thank you! Are businesses still functioning? I'm guessing since you said you were in a taxi, that taxis are still functioning?

Business as normal

Full of tourists doing hoho buses etc

Thank you for the update! Much appreciated it! I will keep an eye out and see how things progress over the next few days... thanks!

We are leaving Friday on the MSC Meraviglia from Barcelona. I have been following events for the past few months. Unfortunately, things appear to be coming to conclusion this week. Spain will likely complete invocation of article 155 this week. This allows Spain to suspend Catalonian autonomy, replace government officials and bring in police and military if necessary. This will likely be met with civil disobedience, mass protest, general strikes, etc. Depending on how things develop, I may end up calling MSC to determine what contingency plans they have in place if we cannot get to the port. At this point, we have the calm before the storm. I am hoping the storm passes or at least is delayed.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I lived in Barcelona in 1977, near Las Ramblas. That was just a few years after Franco had died, around 1976 or so, and there was a lot of civil disobedience including turning over city buses and setting them on fire. I recall sitting in some chairs in the central plaza near Él Corte Inglés, while police shot rubber bullets to disperse the crowds. In hindsight, was probably not very smart to be hanging around at that time. “Young and dumb!”

... probably a fond memory... but nothing to do with today's situation. Just sayin'.

Probably not so fond. Hope those kind of things are in the past and will stay there. You have a beautiful city and we all want it to stay that way. :):):)

I’m on the same ship, the Epic, on the 29th. We fly in Sunday morning so I’m just going tomorrow go straight to the port but after the cruise we stay an extra night at the Hotel Continental, which is right next to Placa Catalonia. I was considering moving to a hotel by the airport. I have 3 small children so I want to avoid any dangerous situations. I was really looking forward to staying on Las Ramblas though. I’m not sure what to do.

I can say it louder but not clearer: THERE'S NO VIOLENCE. nor has it been, in Barcelona. And again, the ball is in your courtyard now!

Thank you EnricM your updates and information have been very helpful. I'm arriving inBarcelona the 4th of November to board the Epic the 5th so I've been following these posts and your reports have been very interesting to read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is true that there is no violence at this time however it remains to be seen this weekend if Madrid actually removes the leaders of the Provincial government and attempts to replace the local police with federal police. Should that occur it remains to be seen what the reaction will be. I am scheduled to be there on a Trans Atlantic cruise in December and I always look forward to walking around the city during the holiday times

... gonna be a bit arrogant here, apologies in advance, who do you think is in a better position to "guess" what might happen if this or that?

Yes, no one can. But we have to be aware what could or not take place. Hope all will be well, but we never know. Need to plan for all occasions. Just to be safe. never know.

... gonna be a bit arrogant here, apologies in advance, who do you think is in a better position to "guess" what might happen if this or that?

Enric, I am reassured by your posts. I kind of wish I had not got a hotel right beside Barcelona Cathedral this time, however my "worst case scenario" at the moment is that there are crowds/a transport strike and we have to walk to the ship.

At present, and note this means today, now... there's no indication there'll be any transport strike. Demonstrations are something else, while none is officially convoked (yet) on the indy camp, it's likely there'll be, especially if the Spanish consolidate their coup d'etat. On the unionist camp, there's indeed one convoked for this Sunday (29th) in Passeig de Gràcia at noon, however, the itinerary they've announced it's very short, merely ending a few hundred yards from the beginning, in Gran Via de Les Corts Catalanes, way north of the Cathedral, therefore it "shouldn't" affect your trip to the port. From the Cathedral your taxi should take Via Laietana southbound towards Passeig de Colom -check Google Maps please.

As said earlier, useful information can only be given for the very immediate future, that is, almost on a daily basis. Other than that, business as usual for a visitor's point of view: sites open, people in the streets, shops and restaurants open too.

Edited by EnricM

... Aerobus is announcing this because Aerobus will be affected in its last two stops, which are near the ending of the demonstration. If arriving from the airport on that day and heading towards anywhere near the area of the demonstration and/or El Gòtic neighbourhood (ie Les Rambles), other than taxi, your best bet is to take either bus #46 (2.15€) or Aerobus (5.90€) and stop in Plaça Espanya. From there, take the metro in the stop you'll find in the same square, line 3 (L3, green) towards either Drassanes, Liceu or Plaça Catalunya -depending on where is your hotel.

Map of the metro: http://www.mapametrobarcelona.net/mapas-metro/mapa-metro-barcelona-2017-01.png

Alternatively, if your hotel is near La Ribera (where El Born is located), it's far easier to do this: at the airport take the free shuttle between terminals to Terminal 2 and from there take the train to the terminus at Estació de França: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Passeig+de+Gr%C3%A0cia,+Barcelona/@41.3837955,2.1841686,17z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x12a4a292db1adc9d:0x8c42d20977c383a6!8m2!3d41.3931702!4d2.1639602

Edited by EnricM

We arrive in Barcelona on the 7th of November. Are the hop on off buses safe to take? We are also going to La Familia staying in a hotel on Las Ramblas so would it better to take a taxi instead of the Metro?

Not too concerned just want opinions. Thanks Ontario Cruiser

You will find the staff at almost any hotel will be able to advise you well on the current situation while you are there. From this district Metro is probably going to be just as good as any other method.

It is way to far ahead to predict how this situation will develop.