Tipping on Shore Excursions

hi,

I typically book my own shore excursions with an independent company. On their website, it typically reads that gratuity is not included. They give a scale of what you should tip.

I will be going on a European cruise and am thinking about booking with the cruise line. Are the tips already included in the price? I never mind tipping, but do not want to give additional tips if they are already included.

Thanks

There really are no tipping guidelines for excursions or tours. It's mainly up to you and what the experience is worth, in your mind. We've been on "excursions" which were basically transportation....it's what we paid for and what we got...no tip. We've had guides that were duds (little or no tip)...and some who really added a lot to the trip...those we do tip! How much is really up to you and what you feel it's worth. We've never tipped over $25 or so...so there's no need to go overboard....you're paying a pretty penny for your excursions...and the guide and driver are being paid out of that!

I don't generally tip for shore excursions. I don't see everyone giving a tip, some do and that is of course up to them.

If in the Caribbean and if I pick up a local tour (not organised by cruise company) then I do tip in appreciation.

If the guide has done a good job I would usually give 5 euros as a tip. The service would have to be beyond outstanding for me to give any more than that (and I was a tour guide myself many moons ago). Tips are appreciated but not generally expected as we Europeans do not have the same tipping culture as you do in the States.

By the way, at least in the euro zone, it's currently better to tip in euros if you can, partly because of the dollar/euro exchange rate and partly because when the person you are tipping changes dollars into local currency many banks charge them a commission so you are effectively tipping the bank! :eek: