Stella Australis

Mike2131

Does anyone has cruise experience on-board this ship? It was purpose-built in 2010 for sailing in Patagonia. We are looking at a trip that includes a cruise on it. The company also has a smaller ship named the Via Australis. Any feedback will be most appreciated.

Edited by Mike2131

Does anyone has cruise experience on-board this ship? It was purpose-built in 2010 for sailing in Patagonia. We are looking at a trip that includes a cruise on it. The company also has a smaller ship named the Via Australis. Any feedback will be most appreciated.

I gather I cannot name the "other" trip advising website that is co-owned with CC but if you locate it and go to the Ushuaia forum there is a regular poster there named John who works (as a lecturer I think) onboard several times a year. he is very helpful.

I gather I cannot name the "other" trip advising website that is co-owned with CC but if you locate it and go to the Ushuaia forum there is a regular poster there named John who works (as a lecturer I think) onboard several times a year. he is very helpful.

I am on that "un-named site" a lot - researching, posting reviews, etc. Shame on me for not looking there.

• 3 years later...

This is an old thread, but I just returned from a 4 night cruise on the Stella. 111 people, although the ship holds 220...it was early in the season. The ship was very nice, food was extremely good, staff absolutely fantastic. We did 5 landings by zodiac in Tierra del Fuego, guides and excursions excellent. I go again in a heartbeat.

This is an old thread, but I just returned from a 4 night cruise on the Stella. 111 people, although the ship holds 220...it was early in the season. The ship was very nice, food was extremely good, staff absolutely fantastic. We did 5 landings by zodiac in Tierra del Fuego, guides and excursions excellent. I go again in a heartbeat.

How were the seas at the Cape?

We were there last year (Dec. 16) on HAL...the Stella was there also...both ships afloat in a sea that resembled a farm pond. It was amazing, we were all pumped up for 40' seas. (I'll take the farm pond)

How were the seas at the Cape?

We were there last year (Dec. 16) on HAL...the Stella was there also...both ships afloat in a sea that resembled a farm pond. It was amazing, we were all pumped up for 40' seas. (I'll take the farm pond)

One or two nights we had a little rocking, that was it. Pretty smooth seas.

We are in the process of booking on their new ship for next October. Any suggestions on what to bring, know before you go?

Definitely bring waterproof pants and a rain jacket, gloves, hat. My cruise was part of a 17 day tour in Patagonia. It was way colder than I expected so I had to buy a winter jacket! Others who didn’t bring rain gear had to buy that, at very high prices. The staff, especially the excursion folks, were wonderful...as was the scenery. Let me know if you have any particular questions. Oh yes, I brought Dramamine and never needed it. If you are vegan or vegetarian, you’ll be well taken care of.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Good to hear, do you recall the kind of vegan/veggie dishes that they serve?

Sorry, I just read this. I’m sorry too that I can’t recall those dishes. I was a vegetarian for 10 years so noticed the offerings, but I can’t remember what the were!:o