Taking a drone?

kpdiver

Has anyone taken a drone with them on a Carnival ship? I've looked at the laws for Belize, Cozumel, and Roatan and there doesn't seem to be many restrictions. I would love to get some aerial photography while in these ports. Does Carnival have rules concerning drones on board other than the obvious of not flying it from the ship? Any information or experiences would be greatly appreciated. I'll be sailing in January aboard the Dream.

https://help.goccl.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3632

The following items may be brought on board but can only be used off the ship, for port use only. All items must be stored in the guest’s stateroom.

Drone Cameras

Drone laws

https://uavsystemsinternational.com/drone-laws-by-country/

Edited by BuckeyeCruiseGuy

Better research your ports of call to see if you can use a drone in them. Some Caribbean ports have laws that some cruisers are unaware of, such as wearing cammie.

Would be a shame to be taken down to the local constabulary and miss the ship.

I work for a small airport an there is an APP named "B4UFLY" that you should install on your smart phone. All drones should be registered with the FAA. The APP will give you directions on where and what height requirements you are permitted to fly and nearby airports. All drones flying above 400 feet requires you to notify the airport manager with your coordinates, times you are flying and your contact info. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by PittsburghGirlee

They're not permitted on-board the ships.

From the Carnival Website FAQ's -

Carnival Corporation prohibited items:

Prohibited Items list

The following items are prohibited and their possession is not allowed on board any Company ship by passengers or crew without a valid lawful reason, unless required in direct support of ship operations, as part of a crew member's official duties, and only with consent of the Ship's Master.

Any remotely controlled or autonomously flying devices, toys or drones

Has anyone taken a drone with them on a Carnival ship? I've looked at the laws for Belize, Cozumel, and Roatan and there doesn't seem to be many restrictions. I would love to get some aerial photography while in these ports. Does Carnival have rules concerning drones on board other than the obvious of not flying it from the ship? Any information or experiences would be greatly appreciated. I'll be sailing in January aboard the Dream.

Depending on who oversees the port the drone may pose a serious security risk... I think until rules and laws regarding drones are better defined, it's better to be safe instead of sorry... when we were in Europe this summer a kid was arrested for flying a done to close to the London Eye--not the way I'd want to spend my vacation. But, they're great for recording information and that information could be used to harm others.

• 3 months later...
They're not permitted on-board the ships.

From the Carnival Website FAQ's -

Carnival Corporation prohibited items:

Prohibited Items list

The following items are prohibited and their possession is not allowed on board any Company ship by passengers or crew without a valid lawful reason, unless required in direct support of ship operations, as part of a crew member's official duties, and only with consent of the Ship's Master.

Any remotely controlled or autonomously flying devices, toys or drones

Guess they changed the rules.........

The following items may be brought on board but can only be used off the ship, for port use only. All items must be stored in the guest’s stateroom.

• Drone Cameras
  • Snorkel gear
  • Segways
  • Skateboards
  • Golf clubs
  • Fishing rods
  • Tennis rackets
  • Kites
  • Roller blades or skates
  • Collapsible Wagon *
  • Metal detectors
  • Boogie Boards (maximum 42 inches in length)
  • Beach chair
  • Umbrella

I work for a small airport an there is an APP named "B4UFLY" that you should install on your smart phone. All drones should be registered with the FAA. The APP will give you directions on where and what height requirements you are permitted to fly and nearby airports. All drones flying above 400 feet requires you to notify the airport manager with your coordinates, times you are flying and your contact info. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The app you referenced sounds like it's FAA based, but threadstarter was asking about flying in Belize, Cozumel, and Roatan, so FAA regulations would likely not apply.

Guess they changed the rules.........

• Drone Cameras
  • Snorkel gear
  • Segways
  • Skateboards
  • Golf clubs
  • Fishing rods
  • Tennis rackets
  • Kites
  • Collapsible Wagon *
  • Metal detectors
  • Beach chair
  • Umbrella
  • T-Rex Costumes

On our last cruise we ran into a guy at Nachi Cocum in Cozumel who sat on the beach and set up his drone that he brought with him on the cruise. He couldn't use it on the ship, but he took some fantastic pictures along the beach in Cozumel. 😊

• 7 months later...

• Drone Cameras
  • Snorkel gear
  • Segways
  • Skateboards
  • Golf clubs
  • Fishing rods
  • Tennis rackets
  • Kites
  • Collapsible Wagon *
  • Metal detectors
  • Beach chair
  • Umbrella
  • T-Rex Costumes

Mikey's going to hate that, lol.

OMG, another one of "those" cruisers. Carnival doesn't allow it. Leave it at home or take a different vacation. Nobody wants to be filmed by your stupid drone.

FYI, the drone isn't used to take pictures of people, however, it is used to take ariel photos of the beautiful islands we visit. This post is a year old and the legalities have been sorted out. On another note, nobody wants to have YOU in their pictures either while on vacation, but there you are in thousands of photos on every trip you take. OMG:eek:

Not allowed.

I am amazed at how often you post and are completely wrong.

We should create a drinking game where everyone takes a shot when you post invalid or outright wrong answers.

I'm guessing we will exceed the Cheers 15 pd limit on a daily basis.

FYI, the drone isn't used to take pictures of people, however, it is used to take ariel photos of the beautiful islands we visit. This post is a year old and the legalities have been sorted out. On another note, nobody wants to have YOU in their pictures either while on vacation, but there you are in thousands of photos on every trip you take. OMG:eek:
Love the reply KP

Sent from my SM-G950W using Forums mobile app