Cruising solo with 6 year old Grandson - What to do?

drakes2

:):)I just booked myself and my Grandson on the Vista for next January. Unfortunately, he missed out on our recent cruise with the other Grandchildren so I decided to take him on my own. Now having second thoughts if I did the right thing. I think he'll be ok onboard as I plan on registering him for Camp Carnival for the afternoons as he can't stay in the sun all day as very fair skinned. He loves the water slides so can spend the morning at the pool and slides. I booked an inside cabin on the Lido deck, very close to all the activities and restaurants. What I am worried about is our ports of call, we visit Cozumel, Ocho Rios, and Grand Cayman. In Cozumel I will take him to Paradise Beach where they have a huge pool and we can spend part of the day there. What worries me is what to do with him in Jamaica, on our own and can be dangerous, just myself and a little boy wandering around the city. Also in Grand Cayman, he's too young to do a stingray excursion which is what we did with the other kids who are a lot older. I know it's a long way out but wondering if anyone has any ideas what would be a fun and memorable trip for a 6 year old. :)

:):)I just booked myself and my Grandson on the Vista for next January. Unfortunately, he missed out on our recent cruise with the other Grandchildren so I decided to take him on my own. Now having second thoughts if I did the right thing. I think he'll be ok onboard as I plan on registering him for Camp Carnival for the afternoons as he can't stay in the sun all day as very fair skinned. He loves the water slides so can spend the morning at the pool and slides. I booked an inside cabin on the Lido deck, very close to all the activities and restaurants. What I am worried about is our ports of call, we visit Cozumel, Ocho Rios, and Grand Cayman. In Cozumel I will take him to Paradise Beach where they have a huge pool and we can spend part of the day there. What worries me is what to do with him in Jamaica, on our own and can be dangerous, just myself and a little boy wandering around the city. Also in Grand Cayman, he's too young to do a stingray excursion which is what we did with the other kids who are a lot older. I know it's a long way out but wondering if anyone has any ideas what would be a fun and memorable trip for a 6 year old. :)

You are over thinking it, and trying to please a 6 year old kid when they should be happy just spending time with you. Been to Jamaica multiple times, and I don't understand why people feel it's dangerous to walk around? Maybe with all the worries you have, that a shorter cruise would be better.

In Grand Caymon I would book the excursion that goes to the turtle farm. you can learn about all kinds of turtles, hold and interact with them, and they also have a huge pool and water slide. Sure to be a hit with the 6 year old!

I am not a fan of Jaimaca - I would book a VIP Beach Club for the day, there are some available thru carnival. The vista has a great waterworks area so you also have the option to stay on the boat in that port and have the slides and rest of the boat to yourself. If you do get off to do a little shopping ... as long as you stay in the two shopping areas right near the ship, you should be safe ... I was just there last month and there were police and security guards all over.

Have fun!

When my granddaughter was six, we took her on a Royal Caribbean cruise with the same ports. She throughly enjoyed herself.

1) Grand Cayman: I will second the turtle farm. She had a blast handling them. We took an excursion which combined that with a trip to Hell. Totally worth it. If there is a stingray tour that will accept six-year olds, and you think you're grandson will appreciate it, I'd go for it. We just thought she was a little young. Maybe next year, when we go back (she will be nine).

2) Jamaica: Honestly, we just got off the boat and back on again. Just to say we were in Jamaica. That can be a day in the ship.

3) Cozumel: The Dolphin Encounter was the highlight of her trip. Just interacting with them. One thing. Pictures are pricey, and they don't allow your own camera.

Have fun. Your grandson will enjoy himself.

You are over thinking it, and trying to please a 6 year old kid when they should be happy just spending time with you. Been to Jamaica multiple times, and I don't understand why people feel it's dangerous to walk around? Maybe with all the worries you have, that a shorter cruise would be better.

Exacrly! I'm going with a 7 year old and as long as there is a beach, my son is happy. Jamaica I've been to with my son several times and not once have I ever felt unsafe with just he and I walking around.

A 6 year old kid wants to play in the sand and water and have you play with them. He wants to eat and play a few games or even go to a playground. They are so easy to please at this age. Go with the flow and enjoy spending quality time.

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk

A 6 year old will be THRILLED to be in the club for the most part of the day...it's fun! It's "age appropriate'...lots of friends!

If you want to "bond" with this grand-child....you really don't need to spend thousands on a cruise. Bring him to your house...make cookies...garden...whatever! Talk to this child...research your ports and get HIS viewpoint on stuff to do! Let him be a part of the planning!

As long as your grandson enjoys exploring new things, he'll have a great time. My son has really enjoyed cruises at 2 and 3 years old so as long as your grandson enjoys kids clubs (because you'll need a break) everything will be fine.

Some 6 year olds might be able to handle the stingrays, and others will be terrified so that's your call.

The turtle farm in Grand Cayman is great for young children.

In Jamaica, as long as you don't wander around by yourself you'll be absolutely fine. Our two year old had a great day there.

In Jamaica, we visited Dolphin Cove, which is an excellent stop for people with children or those who love animals. There are various swim with dolphin programs, and a dolphin touch programs for nonswimmers, pregnant women and children. The Princess tours do not allow children under the age of 8 to participate in dolphin touch programs, so if you want your children to participate in this excursion you would need to book it directly through the Dolphin Cove (and please don't tell them you are arriving on a cruise ship since previous trip advisor reviewers were refused booking when they told Dolphin cove they were traveling to Jamaica on a cruise). The Dolphin Cove has a lovely touch tank, where your child can hold starfish, and you can feed love birds by hand and get your photograph taken with lots of parrots on you. There is also an opportunity to take pictures with either sharks or stingrays. Please note the time of the shark show, since

this show is very bad and the performers in this are also the same people who help you pose with stingrays and sharks. You should visit the other attractions during the shark show, and for the 15 minutes prior to the shark show since the trainers are preparing for the show and can't help you touch the animals. Dolphin's Cove is also located right next to the spectacular Dunn's River Falls, which my family greatly enjoyed visiting. Lunch was excellent jerk chicken at Scotchie's. Richard Brooks at excursionochorios@gmail.com provided us with an excellent tour of Jamaica. He guided my family through Dunn's river falls (my son went back to the ship for a nap and all the grandparents and my husband went to the falls), and helped my mother pick out an authentic Jamaican meal at Scotchies.

And on a previous trip to Jamaica before we had kids, we used Barrett Adventures and enjoyed our day there. http://www.barrettadventures.com . We stayed in a resort, and people who wandered around Jamaica by themselves weren't happy because of the vendors, but we never had any problems with our tour guides.

Just checking that you know you will need a letter, signed by both parents and witnessed by an attorney, that authorizes you to take your grandson on this cruise and to make decisions concerning any emergency medical care for him.

Thank you all for your responses, you have been most helpful. I think we'll go to the turtle farm for sure. He would love it. Still working on Jamaica. In cozumel we may go to Paradise beach club. I was there with my other grandkids last month and we all enjoyed it. The Vista was featured recently on Mighty cruise ships which I PVR'd. When he's over next week I'll let him watch it. He will enjoy the planning stage.

Sent from my SM-P550 using Forums mobile app

Just checking that you know you will need a letter, signed by both parents and witnessed by an attorney, that authorizes you to take your grandson on this cruise and to make decisions concerning any emergency medical care for him.

Thats not true, my parents took my kids on a cruise and yes, its true you need something saying they are the legal guardian during the cruise and you have the right to make medical decisions. It just had to be notorized.

Ps. Take your grandson on the jolly roger, my 3&6 year old boys loved it.

The GC turtle farm was really fun for my son, they also have a little pool with a slide that he will enjoy there.

We didn't do anything in Cozumel or Jamaica, apart from look at the port shops a little. We would rather enjoy the ship when it's quiet!

Thats not true, my parents took my kids on a cruise and yes, its true you need something saying they are the legal guardian during the cruise and you have the right to make medical decisions. It just had to be notorized.

I think we have just fallen foul of a cultural difference in terms. To have it notarized in your country is the equivalent of having it witnessed by an attorney or lawyer in my country.

We are both agreed that a letter of permission is required, has to be signed by both parents, and has to be witnessed by someone legally qualified to do so.

I think he will love the turtle farm. I know that my Grandson did and I don't know of any child that hasn't enjoyed it. The day at the beach sounds like fun. There is a semi-sub in Cozumel that you might want to look into. My Grandson absolutely LOVED seeing all the fish when he was that age. He had an aquarium at home and said it was just like he was in the aquarium, but with more fish. Don't forget to get the notarized letter and enjoy your special adventure with your grandson.

• 1 month later...

Have you looked at excursions? There are so many options. Idk y everyone complains about Jamaica. I have no safety concerns there and we actually vacay there not just cruises. They go above and beyond for tourist. Tourism is their livelihood. I'm sure you'll live. There are lots of fun things to do there bobsled beaches waterfalls. It's just based on ur budget. At 6 hanging out on the beach will probably be extremely exciting no matter which port! Have fun no matter what u choose. Don't overthink it either!!! [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'd like to recommend Playa Mia in Cozumel. As far as I know it is similar to what you mentioned but they have a huge pool with kids water features that he would be perfect age for. If he can swim their slides are fun too. The beach isn't great, but I doubt most of them have a great one.

In Jamaica we just walked around the shopping area and then back on board to enjoy a more empty ship. Pre-kids we did a super fun tube ride and were offerred drugs several times. That convinced me I won't be enjoying Jamaica with my child anytime.

I've heard several folks liked the restaurant right there in shopping area margaritacille? B/c their kids really enjoyed the pool.

• 3 weeks later...

My mom and I were in those three ports last summer (and I was in a cast) and we had a great time, just two girls walking/hobbling around!

Grand Cayman: We went to 7 Mile Beach- the public beach next to Calico Jacks was great and very clean/safe. But there are other things to do on the island.

Cozumel- We did the same thing you are planing on doing. Paradise Beach for the day. I didn't enjoy but that was only because I was unable to really walk around due to my cast/broken foot. I had to pick a spot and plop my self down and that was where I spent the day, or I had to clean my foot and get back in the walking cast and hop somewhere else. We are going back this summer and I cannot wait to try the water toys and enjoy!

Ocho Rios- Our weather was bad and I wasn't up to doing waterfalls or bobsledding (that is what I really wanted to do, I love the movie about the Jamaican Bobsled team!) but we walked over to the little beach at Margaritaville and rented two chairs and swam in the little 'beach' that was there. It isn't the nicest beach I have ever been to but it worked for a few hours and it was close! They didn't make us buy food either! We didn't feel unsafe either.

Look on TA and on the ports of call boards and select a private tour operator in Jamaica and customize a tour for you and your grandson. This is a lovely island and the tour operators will tell you outright it is there job to protect you from overly pushy locals.

I would stay away from the falls as it is crowded and can be slippery.

But definitely do something as the port is just shopping stalls.

My boys were 3 and 8 when they started cruising and both have always loved island tours.

You under no circumstances need your letter witnessed by an attorney. All you need is to have your letter notarized. Go to AAA, your local bank or one of the many venues that has a notarized program.

p.s. If you are in Canada the instructions are different but us in the US can get things notarized by anyone that has the right to do so. Heck, my brother is a school teacher and had his notary.

• 3 weeks later...

In Cozumel we took a cab to Chankanaab National Park. It is fairly inexpensive to get in. There's a lagoon with a beach for swimming and wading, alligators to look at, and replicas of Mayan ruins that you can wander around. The children (as young as 7) enjoyed the day.

For Grand Cayman, I second the recommendation to go to 7-Mile Beach. It's cheap and easy to get to.

• 3 months later...
You under no circumstances need your letter witnessed by an attorney. All you need is to have your letter notarized. Go to AAA, your local bank or one of the many venues that has a notarized program.

p.s. If you are in Canada the instructions are different but us in the US can get things notarized by anyone that has the right to do so. Heck, my brother is a school teacher and had his notary.

Yes I did see the letter online and will print it off. It said recommended not mandatory to have it but better to be safe then sorry. I will have my daughter and grandsons dad sign and my friend who is a Chartered Accountant can witness. Thanks for your reply. The little guy is getting excited.

Sent from my SM-P550 using Forums mobile app

A 6 year old will be THRILLED to be in the club for the most part of the day...it's fun! It's "age appropriate'...lots of friends!

not my 6 year old. He is yet to stay at the kid's club. He adamantly refuses to stay with strangers, and I don't blame him.

So, it's really kid dependent.

To OP: since his skin is fair, load up on SPF50-100. We have a redhead, and he's never sunburned. Ever. Not on a cruise, not on the beach in ports, not in Florida in August.

Don't forget floaties/puddle jumpers/swim vest if the kid doesn't know how to swim. Better safe than very very sorry.

I am going to assume that the kid's parents gave you the go ahead to take him on a cruise without them. Make sure to have all the permissions to take him outside the country.

I personally wouldn't want my 6 yo to go on a cruise with anyone else but us.

In Grand Cayman, we enjoyed the 7 mile beach with our 3 yo. Now that he is 6, we'll try the stingray excursion.

Climbing Dunns Falls would be fun in Ocho Rios, Jamaica, if you are up for it.

Beach time in Cozumel.

not my 6 year old. He is yet to stay at the kid's club. He adamantly refuses to stay with strangers, and I don't blame him.

So, it's really kid dependent.

To OP: since his skin is fair, load up on SPF50-100. We have a redhead, and he's never sunburned. Ever. Not on a cruise, not on the beach in ports, not in Florida in August.

Don't forget floaties/puddle jumpers/swim vest if the kid doesn't know how to swim. Better safe than very very sorry.

I am going to assume that the kid's parents gave you the go ahead to take him on a cruise without them. Make sure to have all the permissions to take him outside the country.

I personally wouldn't want my 6 yo to go on a cruise with anyone else but us.

In Grand Cayman, we enjoyed the 7 mile beach with our 3 yo. Now that he is 6, we'll try the stingray excursion.

Climbing Dunns Falls would be fun in Ocho Rios, Jamaica, if you are up for it.

Beach time in Cozumel.

Having traveled with our 5 kids, all of mine loved kids clubs at that age (just not as tweens). Two of them were fortunate enough to travel with grandma several times, across the country and overseas. I was so grateful, and it was such a great experience for my children, and my mother. She passed away suddenly after being diagnosed with cancer, and I'm glad they have those memories. We always sent a form giving her permission to take them out of the country (Montreal, Belfast, London), and permission to make medical decisions.