Port Excursions Noumea and Lifou Isle with kids

cruiser.wannabe

Where cruising Carnival from Sydney in Jan 2019 and stopping at Noumea and Lifou Isle

where traveling with our kids (they will be 13,11, 9 and 2 1/2yrs) so looking for what to do in those ports

that are family friendly and dont break the bank (they would probably just be happy swimming?)

what would you you recommend that you must see or do while in those ports?

I've looked at the excursion page and so far nothing has jumped out but like the look of some of these (below)

but not opposed to a self guided/private tour but this will be our 1st cruise and trip to the pacific islands

Noumea: City Sights And Aquarium, Noumea Discovery & Anse Vata Beach,Tchou Tchou Train

Lifou Isle: Forest & Secret Grotto,Luecila Beach & Scenic Drive,Vanilla House

Thanks

Edited by cruiser.wannabe
typo's

Not a lot to do in Lifou, but where the tenders dock is a nice beach that they can swim at (last time I saw a turtle by the dock), you can also get a pass to snorkel at a near by spot but I haven't done this yet so not sure if it's worth it.

Noumea is quite friendly and easy to get around. The Tchou Tchou Train is cheaper if you get it from the cruise terminal rather than from the boat. The difference is you don't get an included morning tea. Carnival dock at the shipping dock rather than the cruise terminal as the ship is too big. But a free shuttle bus runs from the ship to the terminal. Other tours are offered at the terminal, usually much cheaper than the boat's prices and just as good.

There are plenty of taxis in Noumea and they're like Australian ones, ie don't barter. There is also a hop on hop off bus that's very popular and I think about $15 per adult, not sure on kids. The aquarium is great and was relatively cheap if going alone (prices are on their website). Around Anse Vata there is lots of cafes etc and the food is usually great. Anse Vata and Bay de citron are great swimming beaches. You can also get a boat over to Duck island which is another great swimming/snorkelling area. Amandee Island is meant to be fantastic, can only be done through the ship, and at $200 approx per adult can be a bit out of the price range.

I'm sure whatever you end up doing, you will have fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 3 months later...

We visited Noumea in October 2017 on the Maasdam...There is a good Tourist Info Center that can set you up with tours. The shuttle from the ship drops you off at the center. We took a 4 hour tour that included a stop at the beautiful Cultural Center...A must see place ! The cost of the tour was $ 35 USD each and included the admission to the Cultural Center.. Transportation was in a large air-conditioned tourist bus with a very good guide. We got to see all the beaches and made a stop at the overlook for a great view of everything. Don't waste your money on an expensive ship's tour.

• 1 month later...

We will soon be going on our first cruise with RCI (Sydney-Lifou-Noumea) in April and also looking for advice/recommendations on choosing a shore excursion suitable for children (6 years) for Lifou. Have been thinking of the forest/grotto tour but would appreciate any feedback from people who have visited Lifou with younger children. For Noumea we will probably book the Tchou Tchou train.