Avalon Christmas Markets Salzburg Excursion

QueenofEverything

Hi! I I have not been on this cruise. I did go to the markets in Salzburg last year. I enjoyed them. The markets were spread around the old city center. There was an ice skating rink near the Mozart statue. Lots of music and carolers. Plenty of food and Gluehwein. There was even a small Christmas Market at the Hohensalzburg Castle. Enjoy.

• 3 weeks later...
Has anyone done this excursion at Christmas time? Where does it leave from? Is the Salzburg Christmas Market good? Is there time when you get back to Passau to do anything there?

Hi Queen,

We did this cruise and excursion in 2014. Salzburg and Regensburg were my favorite ports and markets on this cruise. We had been to Salzburg before but did enjoy the guided tour and there was ample free time to explore the markets.

When we returned to the ship in Passau, we did have a little time to walk up to the market and see a small bit of the Christmas parade that was taking place. I believe the Passau market was one of the smaller markets.

Overall, we really enjoyed this cruise! Durnstein was lovely but it was pouring rain that day so we didn't walk all the way up to the ruins.

If I can locate our time schedule for our Salzburg day, I'll scan and post it for you so you can see arrival and departure times.

Enjoy!

Kim

Hi Queen,

We did this cruise and excursion in 2014. Salzburg and Regensburg were my favorite ports and markets on this cruise. We had been to Salzburg before but did enjoy the guided tour and there was ample free time to explore the markets.

When we returned to the ship in Passau, we did have a little time to walk up to the market and see a small bit of the Christmas parade that was taking place. I believe the Passau market was one of the smaller markets.

Overall, we really enjoyed this cruise! Durnstein was lovely but it was pouring rain that day so we didn't walk all the way up to the ruins.

If I can locate our time schedule for our Salzburg day, I'll scan and post it for you so you can see arrival and departure times.

Enjoy!

Kim

Thanks so much for your response Kim. I would love to see the schedule if you can find it! :D

Thanks so much for your response Kim. I would love to see the schedule if you can find it! :D

Hi Queen,

Here you go...

37746226226_a212cdbad1_k.jpgLinz_Salzburg_Passau Time Schedule by kdrake1007, on Flickr

I have the schedules for the whole cruise, if you're intersted in any other days. Just let me know and I'll scan. I do have all my photos from the cruise on Flickr at https://flic.kr/s/aHsk5YiuA7.

Enjoy!

Kim

Is the Salzburg Christmas Market good?

There are actually multiple Christmas markets in Salzburg. The main one is in the square but our favorite is the market at Hellbrunn, which you will not have time to visit on a river cruise excursion. There is also a market in the fortress and some smaller ones scattered about the city.

We love Salzburg and it is gorgeous at the holidays. We are headed there for a 3 day stay in early December, our 6th, and can't wait!