Be Careful with San Juan Hotel Reservations!

madcitymaven

I just made my weekly call to the Holiday Inn Express Condado San Juan to reconfirm our hotel reservation for Friday, November 3 and was told they were no longer going to honor it because all rooms have been reserved for government employees. I told them I was disappointed that they hadn’t proactively contacted me, but it’s better to find out now versus showing up on November 3 to hear my reservation was now null and void.

Thankfully when I contacted American Airlines, there were still seats available for the November 4 flight into San Juan that arrives at 2:07pm. I don’t like flying into a cruise port on the day of embarkation, but in this case there aren’t any other options. Glad I stayed on top of the hotel reservation. This could happen to anyone, given the situation in PR.

Our hotel in Miami just sent us a cancellation notice today for Nov. 23-26. Storm damage also, unable to repair in time for our cruise. Had a back-up plan just in case, called last week and told it was not looking good, flights already locked and loaded, so plan "B" it is.

I just made my weekly call to the Holiday Inn Express Condado San Juan to reconfirm our hotel reservation for Friday, November 3 and was told they were no longer going to honor it because all rooms have been reserved for government employees. I told them I was disappointed that they hadn’t proactively contacted me, but it’s better to find out now versus showing up on November 3 to hear my reservation was now null and void.

Thankfully when I contacted American Airlines, there were still seats available for the November 4 flight into San Juan that arrives at 2:07pm. I don’t like flying into a cruise port on the day of embarkation, but in this case there aren’t any other options. Glad I stayed on top of the hotel reservation. This could happen to anyone, given the situation in PR.

Although I'm glad you totally understand their and your dilemma, It is good you found out and totally understand. For this US territory the lack of power and communication has been devastating. You are so lucky to be able to re-work your travel plans. Have a great cruise and be sure to Insure your trip in case of any unforeseen delays.

Our hotel in Miami just sent us a cancellation notice today for Nov. 23-26. Storm damage also, unable to repair in time for our cruise. Had a back-up plan just in case, called last week and told it was not looking good, flights already locked and loaded, so plan "B" it is.

Did you try Hampton Inn & Suites on Brickell? They are fine as my car was there during IRMA while we were out to sea. I went into the hotel before hitting the road north as our car was in their parking garage (best plan I had ever made.) and all was well.

:)

Did you try Hampton Inn & Suites on Brickell? They are fine as my car was there during IRMA while we were out to sea. I went into the hotel before hitting the road north as our car was in their parking garage (best plan I had ever made.) and all was well.

:)

Thanks for the heads-up on the Hampton, we have a hotel booked that was not damaged, (checked with them today) so plan "B" will work.

Same thing happened to us last month in Ft. Lauderdale. The first two calls confirmed our hotel was open and running on generators. The third call said no new arrivals were being accepted. The reason I called several times was because of reading situations like the poster during the week before our cruise. I, too, was surprised that Hilton (corporate office) didn't contact all the people who thought they had reservations. We ended up flying in the morning of our cruise with Southwest not charging us any more money for a more expensive flight:)

Just discovered our accommodation in San Juan has no a/c and will be less than 100% with power and water. Hotel operator says little power other than generator or solar in Old San Juan with many businesses still closed. Leaving for PR on Summit Repo 10/22. Cannot understand why celebrity are still using PR for Summits base. Their passengers have made hotel & flight reservations months before and are now left to face the problems of hotel cancellations and difficulty in rearranging flights. I tried to change our United flight to same day or next day but absolutely no chance. Luckily only 2 nights in PR so could have been worse. It's obvious to Celebrity it's no place to stay by them taking PR off its port stops.

Good luck to you! I changed my flight to fly into Dallas the day before cruise and into San Juan at 1:45 PM on American Airlines the day of cruise. I just hope they don't cancel flights out of Dallas and then have it be too late to get to San Juan. Pretty aggravating.

I have had 11 reservations cancelled. I am traveling with two 87 year olds. I just could not risk us not having a room. Had to rebook airfare. Hope and pray we make it. Why Celebrity would put their passengers in a situation like this.

Did you book airfare and hotels with Celebrity? Or did you book everything independently?

2 pm arrival is a lil too risky even for me

Are you leaving Jan 6th. We can't decide on the Princess cruise or the Summit. Never been on the Summit. Ideas? We would fly from Iowa the day before into Miami then San Juan in the morning.

Are you leaving Jan 6th. We can't decide on the Princess cruise or the Summit. Never been on the Summit. Ideas? We would fly from Iowa the day before into Miami then San Juan in the morning.

i never been on summit or princess either. is that what you were asking? or were you asking about flights?

Did you book airfare and hotels with Celebrity? Or did you book everything independently?

No I tried to book directly with the hotels but had to use a third party on some of them. All were cancelled. I guess if you happened to have originally booked with a hotel that is now open you would be ok. I had originally booked three different reservations with Hilton and they were all cancelled right away.

No I tried to book directly with the hotels but had to use a third party on some of them. All were cancelled. I guess if you happened to have originally booked with a hotel that is now open you would be ok. I had originally booked three different reservations with Hilton and they were all cancelled right away.

The Sheraton and Marriotts are being used for first responders. We found something else but no idea what the situation will be. Definitely overpriced and feel price gouging.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

OK. I asked because I was trying to understand why you were blaming Celebrity when you stated "Why Celebrity would put their passengers in a situation like this". I don't see what they have done wrong personally. But if you have booked your cruise directly with them, could you try and append a hotel reservation to your booking?

I hope you all get sorted out soon regardless.

Hi,

I had 2 reservations cancelled on me. I found the Acadia Boutique hotel that is open. I talked to some at the hotel before booking through booking.com. I have emailed them again to double check.

Here is a link from the tourism bureau that lists the hotels that are open. Not saying they have rooms because some of them are full of first responders.

http://puertoriconow.seepuertorico.com/hotels/

OK. I asked because I was trying to understand why you were blaming Celebrity when you stated "Why Celebrity would put their passengers in a situation like this". I don't see what they have done wrong personally. But if you have booked your cruise directly with them, could you try and append a hotel reservation to your booking?

I hope you all get sorted out soon regardless.

They don’t have any, at least on our date, but were taking wait lists. I used that (our cancellation) to get TA to have Celebrity move us. We don’t know if new hotel will be canceled.

Hi,

I had 2 reservations cancelled on me. I found the Acadia Boutique hotel that is open. I talked to some at the hotel before booking through booking.com. I have emailed them again to double check.

Here is a link from the tourism bureau that lists the hotels that are open. Not saying they have rooms because some of them are full of first responders.

http://puertoriconow.seepuertorico.com/hotels/

This list is definitely not accurate. Our hotel (Coral Princess) cancelled us, well rather I called to confirm and they would not honor the reservation. Never informed us either. We found a small place and pre-paid. Now we shall see if it is honored. Others on the list are not accepting reservations.

This list is definitely not accurate. Our hotel (Coral Princess) cancelled us, well rather I called to confirm and they would not honor the reservation. Never informed us either. We found a small place and pre-paid. Now we shall see if it is honored. Others on the list are not accepting reservations.

We know someone who had three rooms canceled at Coral Princess