Law against cookouts on HAL ?

EDLOS

From a recent revue on Norwegian CL:

"On the few days we were not off on a port excursion, they also had a separate cook out, on the Lido deck : ribs,chicken,burgers,potato salad, etc. One day they had 2 dueling chefs cooking awesome Paella, lots of

fun ! "

So I guess they were in violation of some type of food law that HAL won't cross. or is it just another cost cutting measure excuse by HAL to take the "FUN" out of cruising

It depends on how NCL has the "cook out" set up. From what I understand, it's a question of food safety. If, as I remember from my days at NCL, the food preparation areas (portable electric grills, etc) are underneath the sports deck/running track above, and are therefore covered from possible "bird interventions". I believe it also has to do with time/temperature control, and whether or not the storage, cooking, and serving equipment can maintain proper temperatures for food service.

From a recent revue on Norwegian CL:

"On the few days we were not off on a port excursion, they also had a separate cook out, on the Lido deck : ribs,chicken,burgers,potato salad, etc. One day they had 2 dueling chefs cooking awesome Paella, lots of

fun ! "

So I guess they were in violation of some type of food law that HAL won't cross. or is it just another cost cutting measure excuse by HAL to take the "FUN" out of cruising

I have been cruising HAL for a long time (over 20 years) and I don't ever remember having a outdoor cook out on the Lido deck (I have never cruised Alaska; I have seen references to a salmon cook out on those cruises).

Why would they? I certainly don't cruise to do a cook out with basic food stuff that I can do any night at home.

This seems to be just one more attempt to denigrate

the cruise experience on HAL. Perhaps there will be a new thread wondering why there isn't blasting pool music to add to the fun of cruising.

I have been cruising HAL for a long time (over 20 years) and I don't ever remember having a outdoor cook out on the Lido deck (I have never cruised Alaska; I have seen references to a salmon cook out on those cruises).

Why would they? I certainly don't cruise to do a cook out with basic food stuff that I can do any night at home.

the cruise experience on HAL. Perhaps there will be a new thread wondering why there isn't blasting pool music to add to the fun of cruising.

WOW, never experienced a cook out on HAL Lido deck. We have sailed HAL for 39 years and experienced many outdoor cookouts; mostly just ok. But on our VoV cruise in 2010, HAL offered a World Buffet around the entire Lido Pool on one of our final sea days. Minor food stuff like jumbo shrimp, lobster tails, whole Alaska crab legs, salmon, etc, etc etc. Never seen anything like this before and never seen again.

Excuse me, the barbies around the lido pool were always fun, great food and great atmosphere, it's so sad that they are in the past....

WOW, never experienced a cook out on HAL Lido deck. We have sailed HAL for 39 years and experienced many outdoor cookouts; mostly just ok. But on our VoV cruise in 2010, HAL offered a World Buffet around the entire Lido Pool on one of our final sea days. Minor food stuff like jumbo shrimp, lobster tails, whole Alaska crab legs, salmon, etc, etc etc. Never seen anything like this before and never seen again.

Agree, we are over 20 years on HAL, and have been to many Lido deck cookouts. Last March on KDAM was the first time in many years without a cookout. We did a 22 day Eurodam Baltic/Norway/Great Britain cruise in 2013 with 3 cookouts, all themed to the areas we were in. Even included German food and oompah band (brought on for a late night in port) on the German themed meal.

I have been cruising HAL for a long time (over 20 years) and I don't ever remember having a outdoor cook out on the Lido deck ...

WOW, never experienced a cook out on HAL Lido deck. We have sailed HAL for 39 years and experienced many outdoor cookouts; mostly just ok.
We've been to a few, and not in AK. We don't enjoy them as they are usually very crowded and the food is mediocre IMO, so we usually skip them. The MDR is usually only moderately busy that night. Edited by catl331

We had a salmon cookout on our Westerdam Alaska cruise a couple of years ago. It was pretty congested and you needed some patience in the line....but a salmon bake in Alaska is certainly appropriate for the area. As best as I can remember, we weren't dodging bird bombs from above. Makes me wonder what dangers we've been avoiding over many decades of outdoor barbecues and picnics at home. And we thought we only had to worry about leaving potato salad out in the sun too long.

We have sailed on HAL for 21 years and HAL used to have BBQ's. Sometimes it was around the Lido Pool and sometimes at the Aft Pool.

We went to a few -- early years they were really great. But we thought that in recent years the quality of food had gone downhill. The best ones were the Alaskan ones -- lots of salmon.

It is too bad that HAL was forced to stop because of hand washing issues. I know that many people enjoyed them.

We had fabulous buffets and cook outs on the Prinsendam - Mongolian buffets and things were grilled to your preference and choosing - there were more buffets.

I remember a great one when we came back late on tour and it was fabulous.

they were plentiful in the day and we are not talking hamburgers and hotdogs. These were very good and this is only a couple of years ago.

I saw them on TA's, cruises with heavy port days, etc. It wasn't just one cruise.

On our sailing on the Westerdam - Hawaii, Marquesas, Tahiti - there was nearly a cook out each day on the Lido. They were fabulous - fresh tuna brought on board, really good Caesar salad is one example. A lot of fresh fish was brought on board and we really enoyed it.

They were very inventive - fresh fruit from the different ports, etc. It was very nice And really added to our sea days :)

My family has cruised on HAL for 32 years, and there have been several cookouts over the years. Alaska was always a favorite for the salmon, but there were burgers, steaks and other wonderful cookouts. Perhaps now with all the speciality food places and the Deli, Dive In and such, there isn't as much as a need or demand. The outdoor buffets both lunch and dinner were not to be missed. I remember most of them being on nights that we stayed late in port.

As reported on my "live" Alaska thread from June 2017, the reason I learned from the Lido Manager, ALL food preparation must take place in a designated AND inspected facility.

As reported in this and other threads, there are many reasons why an outdoor cookout could not pass the same standards as an indoor facility: range hoods, hand washing facilities, auto fire extinguishing system, slip-retardant mats, etc.

Sailing out of Ketchikan (or was it Sitka?) under blues skies and having an outdoor cookout with grilled salmon and kegs of Alaskan beer.. not something I could have just any day and I would hardly describe it as a "denigration" of anything, it was another lovely experience on a great HAL Alaska cruise.

We always looked forward to the special buffets around the pool. There was a very festive atmosphere with local musicians. The last one we experienced was last October on the Westerdam as the ship left Cabo. Great food, including a roasted pig. The sunset was awesome, which added to the atmosphere.

Too bad HAL can't/won't find their way to making whatever adjustments are necessary. It was a great cruise experience.

There is no law preventing HAL from having BBQs or cookouts outdoors.

There are only food safety regulations that require HAL to purchase and install the proper equipment necessary to do these events safely.

The other cruise lines have no problems with this.

HAL is just too cheap to do the same.

Unless you work for HAL, and know the reasoning involved, this is probably not a really appropriate thing to be saying.

Seven years ago, on Canada Day on the Eurodam in the Baltic, there was a very elaborate lunchtime cookout that included fresh whole lobsters split in half and steaks. I would have liked to see what they did for July 4th 3 days later but our cruise ended the next day and we had to disembark! We've been on several cruises on different lines over July 4th and nothing like that cookout has even come close.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Unless you work for HAL, and know the reasoning involved, this is probably not a really appropriate thing to be saying.

Than refuted his comments with "fact " filled knowledge....I am betting on his reasoning !!!!

That poster apparently did work for HAL, and seems to have a grudge. His/her analysis is correct, however, it merely requires proper equipment to be able to do outdoor dining on the ships. I won't comment on why HAL does not deem it necessary to have the cookouts.

Agree, we are over 20 years on HAL, and have been to many Lido deck cookouts. Last March on KDAM was the first time in many years without a cookout. We did a 22 day Eurodam Baltic/Norway/Great Britain cruise in 2013 with 3 cookouts, all themed to the areas we were in. Even included German food and oompah band (brought on for a late night in port) on the German themed meal.

Absolutely our experience and we have the photos to prove it. I remember one when we were docked in Shanghai.....