Re-revised port for my Eastern Caribbean as of today

aotmc

I sail on the Eurodam on Nov. 26 and our previous revised itenerary has been updated. Originally they replaced St. Maarten with St. Croix; now they have replaced St. Croix with St. Thomas.

Others with plans in the Caribbean may want to check the new list.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/pageByName/Resp.action?requestPage=Hurricane_Impact&showHeader=true&showFooter=true&legacy=true

I am a little surprised since up until yesterday I could book excursions in st Croix with HAL. Though, I understand the complexity of the recovery of the region and am trusting that they are doing what is needed.

We sail in 3 weeks, just got plans made for our two new ports, and now the idiots at HAL decide to switch one back. It's unprofessional to be this wishy-washy with your customers travel plans! We understood and were in favor of the changes made on Oct 5, but switching back at his point really ticks me off!!

Thank you for posting. I just checked out cruise for Nov 4th. They put us back to St Thomas for Nov 8th. The funny thing is I was looking at excursions for St Croix last night. I will not book any excursions now as they seem to change without any notice.

We sail in 3 weeks, just got plans made for our two new ports, and now the idiots at HAL decide to switch one back. It's unprofessional to be this wishy-washy with your customers travel plans! We understood and were in favor of the changes made on Oct 5, but switching back at his point really ticks me off!!

First of all imagine living there. These poor islands are trying to get back on their feet. Second of all if you read your cruise contract they can change ports any time including while you are on the ship. Chill out man and be happy you are on a ship. I wouldn’t care if we were on the ship sailing around for 7 nights as long as somebody was feeding me.

I sail on the Eurodam on Nov. 26 and our previous revised itenerary has been updated. Originally they replaced St. Maarten with St. Croix; now they have replaced St. Croix with St. Thomas.

Others with plans in the Caribbean may want to check the new list.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/pageByName/Resp.action?requestPage=Hurricane_Impact&showHeader=true&showFooter=true&legacy=true

I am a little surprised since up until yesterday I could book excursions in st Croix with HAL. Though, I understand the complexity of the recovery of the region and am trusting that they are doing what is needed.

Hi, I had a look at the updated list dated October 19th, we are leaving Nov. 8th on the Koningsdam, on the updated list they switched us from St. Croix to Antigua, but I just called HAL to confirm and they said it was an error on the list and that we are still schedule for St. Croix and the list will get fixed this afternoon. Spoke with Charlene at HAL

Darn. I would've loved to stop at Antigua rather than St Croix, but I'm just happy we get to sail! I'll be fine with St Croix.

Seriously, people. Do you think the cruiselines are changing itineraries just to jerk you around? :mad:

I'm sure they are doing the best they can with a very difficult situation.

If you had St Croix changed back to St Thomas, this decision may have beeen beyond HAL's control. I looked at the updated port info, and it shows St Croix being open March 1, 2018. I think the previous map/list had St Croix opening earlier than that. So perhaps the situation has changed on St Croix--newly discovered damage at the port or something like that--and now St Croix has had to alter its timetable.

Hi, I had a look at the updated list dated October 19th, we are leaving Nov. 8th on the Koningsdam, on the updated list they switched us from St. Croix to Antigua, but I just called HAL to confirm and they said it was an error on the list and that we are still schedule for St. Croix and the list will get fixed this afternoon. Spoke with Charlene at HAL

Are you sure? HAL's map says St Croix won't reopen until March.

First of all imagine living there. These poor islands are trying to get back on their feet. Second of all if you read your cruise contract they can change ports any time including while you are on the ship. Chill out man and be happy you are on a ship. I wouldn’t care if we were on the ship sailing around for 7 nights as long as somebody was feeding me.

Agree totally.

I'm on the Eurodam's December 10 sailing, which was originally supposed to visit St. Maarten. Obviously, we couldn't visit that island so we were switched to St. Croix. Here's the update we received today:

We continue to monitor the recovery efforts in the Caribbean. We have received information from St. Croix that they are not ready to receive guests at this time. Therefore, we have replaced St. Croix with a call to St. Thomas, which is recovering faster than anticipated and will be ready to welcome guests in time for your cruise.

I have no qualms with HAL, especially as recovery efforts are understandably in flux. I'm not thrilled about St. Thomas, but I will find something to do. Add me to those who are simply happy to be on a cruise. And did I mention I have a Lido cabana? ;)

I'm on the Eurodam's December 10 sailing, which was originally supposed to visit St. Maarten. Obviously, we couldn't visit that island so we were switched to St. Croix. Here's the update we received today:

I have no qualms with HAL, especially as recovery efforts are understandably in flux. I'm not thrilled about St. Thomas, but I will find something to do. Add me to those who are simply happy to be on a cruise. And did I mention I have a Lido cabana? ;)

(bold is mine) Yes, maybe once or twice. :cool:

If you want something active, there should be snorkel opportunities. I'm hoping that the turtle snorkel tour will be running when we're there this winter. And check out Virgin Island Ecotours. They do a wonderful sea kayak tour. (At least they did before the hurricanes.)

I have friends and family that live in saint maarteen and Puerto Rico. There is no way they are ready for tourist. There lives are in turmoil right now. Hard to believe that we have some cruisers complaining about a port change. Such 1st World problems. It’s sad.

I can't imagine any "tours" or "excursions" on St. Thomas or St. John right now, other than maybe some snorkeling/sailing ones. I can only imagine what some would say when they have to drive through areas still devastated to reach a beach. I wouldn't be too comfortable in the water or on any beach right now - think of all the contamination from the storm surge, from trash swept back into the water... That will take more than a few trucks re-grading a beach to make it appear safe to a tourist.

If forced to stop at these affected ports because a ship can tender in and the tourist board worked hard to get the few blocks around the port prettied up, I think I would still just stay onboard. Unless I had an overwhelming urge to hit up Diamonds International or get drunk at the nearest open tourist bar (for humor-impaired, this was a joke. I'd never be caught in either of those places)

I can't imagine any "tours" or "excursions" on St. Thomas or St. John right now, other than maybe some snorkeling/sailing ones. I can only imagine what some would say when they have to drive through areas still devastated to reach a beach. I wouldn't be too comfortable in the water or on any beach right now - think of all the contamination from the storm surge, from trash swept back into the water... That will take more than a few trucks re-grading a beach to make it appear safe to a tourist.

If forced to stop at these affected ports because a ship can tender in and the tourist board worked hard to get the few blocks around the port prettied up, I think I would still just stay onboard. Unless I had an overwhelming urge to hit up Diamonds International or get drunk at the nearest open tourist bar (for humor-impaired, this was a joke. I'd never be caught in either of those places)

Even the sail/snorkel tours could be affected if the vendors had damage to their boats.

As for your joke, I get it, (I don't go to DI, either) but I hope people don't stay onboard. I also hope the people who consider DI a first stop keep walking and get out of the tourist complex to find local businesses. No, they won't all be open, but some will have survived. Have a drink in a local bar. Have coffee in a local shop--it's possible to survive not going to Starbucks.

It's understandable that lines have to keep itineraries in a state of flux as the recovery process moves along. Obviously some of the changes must result in overcrowding un-impacted ports - so as conditions appear to,improve in previously dropped ports there is a natural incentive to revisit.

However, it's unfortunate that the lines do not make it clear when changes are announced that there is a possibility of further modifications. Failure to do so results in many making new plans - only to have to re-do them.

In the revised itinerary for Nov. 26 Eurodam sailing now going to St. Thomas will the ship be docking in Crown Bay or at Havensight?

HAL ships usually park at Crown Bay since Carnival Corp originally built this port years ago

See you on board

Darn. I would've loved to stop at Antigua rather than St Croix, but I'm just happy we get to sail! I'll be fine with St Croix.

Seriously, people. Do you think the cruiselines are changing itineraries just to jerk you around? :mad:

I'm sure they are doing the best they can with a very difficult situation.[/quote

HI NCTribe,

I just spoke with the sales department, they have most current information, she advised the info on the Caribbean update is the current status our itinerary is to be updated overnight tonight it may look like we get Antigua afterall instead of St. Croix. Have you been there before, we have never been, I am looking at independent tours now.

Mary

Do you think the cruiselines are changing itineraries just to jerk you around? :mad:

Before the October 5th update, someone at HAL decided to switch St. Thomas to Fredriksted, St. Croix. We cancelled plans, then researched and made new ones. Two weeks later, HAL switches back to St. Thomas. Yesterday, I looked at the Caribbean Assessment Map on HAL's Caribbean Update and St. Croix shows MARCH 1, 2018 as the Port Call resume date. HOW WAS THIS DATE MISSED OR DISMISSED?

I don't think they are "changing itineraries just to jerk you around", but somebody at HAL needs to own this very poor decision. At this point, the only decisions we should be making should involve packing. I agree the storms put HAL in a tough position. However, their extremely poor decision making has exacerbated the effect of the storm on their customers.

Even the sail/snorkel tours could be affected if the vendors had damage to their boats.

As for your joke, I get it, (I don't go to DI, either) but I hope people don't stay onboard. I also hope the people who consider DI a first stop keep walking and get out of the tourist complex to find local businesses. No, they won't all be open, but some will have survived. Have a drink in a local bar. Have coffee in a local shop--it's possible to survive not going to Starbucks.

When I got the email from Hal I was a bit disappointed....St. Thomas now instead of St. Croix...We've only been to St. Croix once but have visited St. Thomas multiple times....but we will definitely get off the ship...walk around....maybe have a drink or lunch....and buy the grandson's some more "awesome T-Shirts"....apparently this past January I hit the jackpot with some nice shirts for them;p They both really liked them!! Now if I can remember which store I bought them from! I will be happy to just be on the ship:)

Before the October 5th update, someone at HAL decided to switch St. Thomas to Fredriksted, St. Croix. We cancelled plans, then researched and made new ones. Two weeks later, HAL switches back to St. Thomas. Yesterday, I looked at the Caribbean Assessment Map on HAL's Caribbean Update and St. Croix shows MARCH 1, 2018 as the Port Call resume date. HOW WAS THIS DATE MISSED OR DISMISSED?

I don't think they are "changing itineraries just to jerk you around", but somebody at HAL needs to own this very poor decision. At this point, the only decisions we should be making should involve packing. I agree the storms put HAL in a tough position. However, their extremely poor decision making has exacerbated the effect of the storm on their customers.

On one of the other threads about changes, someone posted part of the email they got from HAL in which HAL said it was due to new information from St Croix. HAL can control only so much. All the info I saw on St Thomas made it look like it would be many months before they were ready. But somehow they got on track quickly. And apparently, St Croix didn't.

Have you tried contacting your St Thomas tour company to see if you can reinstate your earlier plans?

I would've been fine with St Croix. I'll be fine with Antigua.

Yes, plans have to be changed. I've now changed independent excursions a couple of times. It happens.

I just don't understand why people seem to believe the changes are somehow due to incompetence by the cruiseline. They had to adjust itineraries. They rearranged ports. They had to contract with the vendors on the islands to provide tours and then make them available.

Then they are told things won't be ready so they make further changes.

Really don't know what people were expecting. Keep a port and then discover once you arrive that the excursions can't run? Imagine the outcry should that happen!

I would've been fine with St Croix. I'll be fine with Antigua.

Keep a port and then discover once you arrive that the excursions can't run? Imagine the outcry should that happen!

The switch back to St. Thomas Nov 15 may afford us the opportunity for "outcry". Time will tell.