Ecstacy 8-30 to 9-4 aka The Rusting Hulk of a Ship

moonlitmagik

So recently my fiancee and I cruised Carnival for the first and last time. We went out of Charleston, SC. Beautiful city, we would visit again. The ship? Not if someone paid us. Let it be known I have no need for an oceanview or Balcony or suite, we always cruise interior unless we get a fabulous deal.

We were in room M144, main deck, mid ship. Room was well clean and comfortable. Except when we brought back half of Princess cays in my board shorts....Oops!!

Carnival employees move the check in lines fast. This is a plus. Their checkin service is fast and courteous. This however is where all customer service ends. With the exception of a few staff members (Milena, Loreana, Kyng Bea in the piano bar, Ketut and Bushan on the Serenity deck and Nannarat who did my hair in the spa) everyone on board was just...Meh. Not rude, but not helpful either. Like nobody gave a rats posterior.

While the crew does try their best to keep the boat clean... even with the 2.0 upgrades, this boat is OLD. And it shows. Rust on every metal surface, the deck wood is sandblasted and looks well weatherbeaten. She is their oldest boat in the fleet according to Gary the cruise director.

The food was not much to write home about, but better than what we had on Norwegian so that says something I guess. The activities were much the same every day but in a different order. Trivia was fun, but its sad to see grown adults stooping to cheating and using GOOGLE to find the answers. I guess the plastic ship on a stick really meant that much...

We visited Princess Cays first. Lovely little island, wonderful snorkeling (took my own gear) and I took other cruisers advice and wore watershoes. The sand is very coarse and it will cut you up. Irma was following us, and the water was rough. We had a problem here though with one of the staff members which I will elaborate on later.

2nd port was freeport. We didnt get off... it looked VERY unsafe and lots of people harassing passengers to buy things or get in their taxis. Nope!! We just floated in the pool and enjoyed the space and quiet.

Entertainment was actually good, the beatlemania show was pretty good as was the detroit motown one. The comics were hilarious, but Kyng Bea in the piano bar was the saving grace of the cruise. I was rather off put by the cast of the shows loudly doing a congaline in the atrium and interrupting his piano playing AND taking away his crowd. People would drift outside the neon bar and just....never come back. Oh well. They missed me teaching him how to play Careless Whisper by George Michael... and then ending up playing it myself for the crowd LOL

That's where the fun stops and the problems started.

Issue #1: When we tendered over to Princess Cays it was about 11am. There was no food on lido to be had, we were hungry. The staff said there is food on the island. Nope. We found where the food had BEEN, and we were denied access to it. They were cleaning up, and we were met with attitude. I understand the time it takes to bring things from the ship and to set up and clean up but there should have been an announcement made when the cut off would be or something. No mention of it in my fun times either. We starved until dinner, but enjoyed the colorful fishees that wanted to play with us.

Issue #2: On night 3, some drunken... male... I won't call him a man because men dont hit women... literally beat the crap out of his wife in the atrium. Security, that I saw, did nothing because it took my fiancee and 4 other men to pull this guy off her. I dont know what happened afterwards but this should NEVER have happened to begin with.

Issue #3, and quite possibly the biggest infraction: was ours and about 6 other cabins on either side reported to security illegal drugs being onboard. First let me say I wont deny anyone to smoke weed etc BUT DONT DO IT ON A CRUISE SHIP WHERE ITS FORBIDDEN TO SMOKE IN YOUR CABIN. The smell was so bad I spent every morning nauseated. I dont care what others do, but I dont want to be subjected to it and I think as a paying passenger I had that right. Security said oh we found them there will be dogs at debarcation... LIES. There wasnt anything like that. I mean yeah maybe there should have been but there wasnt.

It seemed like nothing was done and nobody cared. I raised concerns with guest services onboard and nothing was done. I called when we got home. only it seems i beat a deaf horse and nobody was listening. Ill spend my money elsewhere and maybe get better service.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Forums mobile app

The cruise director was wrong. The Fantasy is the oldest ship. The Ecstasy is the second oldest ship.

If someone bugs me to buy something, I just politely say no and keep on walking. They usually leave me alone. The Nassau straw market is a different story.

I can understand your frustration with guest services and security not doing anything about the beating and drugs. It drives me nuts when someone doesn't even pretend to care about an issue I'm having. I stubbornly advocate for myself, sometimes to the point of being a loud and obnoxious pest. I needed to stand up for myself in middle school due to intense bullying that the school didn't try to stop. Now it is just instinct.

I would still only cruise with Carnival in this situation. Carnival has the atmosphere that I like and need. With my ADHD, I need more constant stimulation and things to do than some lines offer. Other lines have features that I like, but they also have alot of things I don't like.

I wonder if there would have been any consequences for Carnival if you and the people in the other six cabins told CBP officers about the weed smell and the lack of an appropriate response from Carnival.

I had a very different experience on that sailing. I really enjoyed it, but then I love the Fantasy-class ships.

Yes, she's old. But then every ship I've sailed (other than the Vista because that was the inaugural sailing and she smelled of "new" carpet & paint fumes which made me sick) has rust on the surfaces. After all, they're at sea. All the time. Exposed to salt water and salt air. Rust has no impact on my enjoyment of a cruise.

I'm a bit confused about the food issue on Princess Cays. There would've still been food available on the Lido deck in the morning. And if you tendered over at 11, the lunch buffet had not yet started. The lines were long when we went (no idea what time it was) but the food was pretty good (love the jerk chicken they do on the island buffets). And when you returned to the ship, even if some of the food venues were closed, both the deli and pizza place would've been open, and maybe Guy's. Plus, you could've ordered room service.

I personally think the crew/staff on the Fantasy-class ships are some of the best. The only "meh" I encountered was the girl behind the service desk who insisted my internet was working just fine although I showed her that I couldn't post to Facebook (which is the only reason I purchased it). Everyone else that I encountered was wonderful. My favorite was Maria at the Atrium bar.

I did have some issues (wrote about them in my review thread). I wrote to Carnival and haven't heard back from them. I even re-sent the email. Told them I realized they were having to deal with all the cancellations and itinerary changes due to the hurricanes but a response would be appreciated. Nothing.

The incident in the atrium really would've bothered me. Security isn't in all locations at all times but I would hope they would've intervened had they been present. For what I've heard from others, that doesn't always happen, which is really unfortunate. I mean, what's the point in having security if they won't intervene?!?

Maybe we missed the buffets. But the issue in the atrium alone was enough to make us say not a 2nd time.

Not Carnival's fault. I don't believe that they have a huge security force and you couldn't expect them to be everywhere you are at all times. You will find drunken idiots on every ship. Kudos to your fiancee and other men for stepping in. It's good to know that there are good men on hand when you need them! I understand your disappointment, though. Even if you don't sail Carnival again, I hope that it doesn't stop you from trying another cruise :)

Lol! I like how you blame carnival for some dude beating his wife. Some people...

No, I wasn't blaming Carnival for the actions of one passenger. If you had actually read what was typed, you would see that nowhere did I state this. I am however, blaming them for allowing people to get THAT DRUNK. Its not safe. When you have people that cannot even function, what if an emergency should arise?

I am also blaming their security team for doing NOTHING. Thank GOD for people like my fiancee and 4 of his new friends or that woman wouldve been hurt WORSE. And according to her it's not the first, or last time. I sincerely hope she gets away from him.

It must be something about that ship. Had similar experience about 6 years ago. Plus the hallways stunk like sewer.

Yes. I didnt mention this but yes. When we were docked in Freeport oh my GOD. Something happened and the whole ship started to smell. By night fall and we were cruising back to Charleston it was bad. I mean awful.

Nope. We're booked on anthem of the seas.

You will find obnoxious people on all cruise lines. The incident in the Atrium was unfortunate but as has been pointed out, security can't be everywhere. they can't anticipate that someone is going to beat up his wife. The conga line by the show people is part of the show and the piano bar entertainers are well aware of it. Hope you enjoy your next cruise.

Pat

Actually, sounds like you liked the things important to me. Food was Ok and the entertainment was good.

The atrium situation sounds bad. Same with the weed smell. Those are two pretty isolated things that wouldn’t stop me from sailing on a ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Ive cruised Norwegian before. Even with their giveaway of their beverage package, we didn't see people fighting. Plenty of the OTHER F word tho LOL.

We were left with a rather bad taste in our mouths so to speak because it just seemed like nobody cared about anything really. And while there were some good elements, there were more "are you serious?" Moments than "Wow" moments. For the affordability sure, you get a good value but at that price point you get all sorts of people, most of them who don't know how to behave in public. It's just not a line for us.

Ive cruised Norwegian before. Even with their giveaway of their beverage package, we didn't see people fighting. Plenty of the OTHER F word tho LOL.

We were left with a rather bad taste in our mouths so to speak because it just seemed like nobody cared about anything really. And while there were some good elements, there were more "are you serious?" Moments than "Wow" moments. For the affordability sure, you get a good value but at that price point you get all sorts of people, most of them who don't know how to behave in public. It's just not a line for us.

If what others do affected my enjoyment, I’d probably choose a more expensive cruise line, too. It’s like people who get upset at the dress code in the MDR. If that’s important, choose a different line. That’s the great thing about cruising. Lots of choices based on what you value.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

blaming them for allowing people to get THAT DRUNK. Its not safe. When you have people that cannot even function, what if an emergency should arise?

Grown people make their own decisions...you honestly think CCL is responsible for STOPPING people from drinking on their ships???? You do know they sell the cheers package and most people on these boards that purchase cheers have long conversations about how to get the most out of the package...how many you need to drink to break even...they cannot wait to just try everything cuz they can...and how can they get more alcohol once the package limit is exhausted...grown people make their own decisions....many people cruise to go crazy and let their hair down...cannot blame CCL for this one...

I totally get that whole let your hair down mentality. When it boils over into women getting beat up, people calling for security and them not showing up is where we drew the line. Not to mention people running everyone over in the buffet lines, cutting in front of people, etc, it just wasn't for us. And the way some of the women dressed with children present... not everyone wants to see body parts hanging out of bathingsuits.

Sorry u had a bad experience on Ecstasy!

Cruised out of Charleston last September and it was my 4th time on Ecstasy!! One of my top 5 cruises. Great group of people, great port!!

Leaving on Vista in 2 weeks and I'm sure I'll like it but bigger IS NOT always better. The smaller class ship is so much easier to navigate and seems less crowded.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Fantasy-class is a cruddy old class, even with upgrades. I think a lot of people do a major disservice to others by hyping these ships up and vouching for them; I think a lot of people who do so have not been on newer and larger ships. I stay away from Fantasy-class.

The Fantasy-class is a cruddy old class, even with upgrades. I think a lot of people do a major disservice to others by hyping these ships up and vouching for them; I think a lot of people who do so have not been on newer and larger ships. I stay away from Fantasy-class.

I find it interesting that you say that as I have not been on a Fantasy class. I have sailed on older Conquest class ships and on the Miracle and Destiny. Some of those didn't have up to date bells and whistles but I enjoyed them anyway. Have you sailed on any of them and what was your opinion? Reason I ask is that some folks (not saying you) will only sail on the most fully updated ship and will reject anything less. Be interested to hear your thoughts on that.

I find it interesting that you say that as I have not been on a Fantasy class. I have sailed on older Conquest class ships and on the Miracle and Destiny. Some of those didn't have up to date bells and whistles but I enjoyed them anyway. Have you sailed on any of them and what was your opinion? Reason I ask is that some folks (not saying you) will only sail on the most fully updated ship and will reject anything less. Be interested to hear your thoughts on that.

I have been on the Ecstasy, and I was on Victory (Destiny class) 3 weeks ago. In fact, I was even on Ecstasy when it was a brand new ship (within first year of sailing) 25 years ago.

It's not about having ALL the bells and whistles to me. In fact many of the Fantasy-class ships have new waterworks and additional no charge eateries that the Victory does not have (yet). I just feel that the Fantasy-class ships come off as outdated, outmoded, and plain old. Less crowds and a smaller ship is a plus for many, but when I spend my hard earned vacation dollars I do not want to feel like I am at a cut-rate resort and that is what Fantasy-class feels like to me. Like when staying at Hilton properties, some are clearly better than others and once I learn this I gravitate towards the ones that do not come off as worn out. This is just my opinion. No I have not been on every sister-ship in the class but you do not need to do that to have formed preferences.

One of my friends was on that ship. She has a different opinion about what happened. She saw the woman hit first. I have seen the same thing happen on my cruise. A man slapped a woman in the atrium while the hubs and I were on our honeymoon cruise (Pride 2008).

However, here are details not provided regarding my Pride cruise. The woman slapped then hit the man with a closed fist before we arrived to the martini tasting. In my career--in all careers--you should always investigate before assuming. Or choosing a side.

Now, I am going to say something that might anger some people. If a PERSON hits a PERSON then that PERSON knows the consequence. Equal force. I would never hit a man without expecting to get a hit back. If I cry that I am a woman, then that is sexism. Why should I be able to physically abuse someone and not expect the abused to strike back? That is against the law. Abuse is against the law no matter the gender.

Now, if you saw a woman getting abused without provocation while on your cruise, you are also acting against the law. You should report it as soon as you see it. You have aided and abetted. Would you walk away while a man beat a woman on a public street?

So. I guess that makes you as much a party to the abuse as you claim Carnival to be. Unless the man used excessive force. Then that should be reported to the authorities s well. I'm guessing your fiancee reported and filed a fomal complaint because he was an eye-witness?

Edited by maracalone