Nov. 11 Now Going Back to St. Thomas

CherryG

Also on Nov. 26 Eurodam cruise. Haven't received notice of the change yet. Am wondering where the ship will dock in St.Thomas - at Havensight or Crown Bay?

Have you googled news for Crown Bay or Havensight? Perhaps you’ll find info that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

we are sailing on the 12th on HAL Eurodam and did not get notification of changes yet. Changed yesterday on line I guess originally for St Marteen then St Croix now St Thomas. Again I do not believe they are ready for ships either. Go to St Thomas face book hurricane updates. Tells the real story of the condition of the :(islands.

Hello

Found this on http://visitstthomas.com/cruise_ships.html

Generally, the ships of Carnival Cruise Lines, Norwegian Cruise Line, Celebrity Cruises, and Royal Caribbean (except Oasis of the Seas and Allure of the Seas) dock at Havensight. Cunard, Princess, Holland America and Oasis and Allure typically dock at Crown Bay. This can change depending on the number of ships in port. Deeper draft ships such as Queen Mary 2, Oasis and Allure are required to dock at Crown Bay.

It's also pretty inconsiderate of HAL, IMHO, to switch back after giving us two weeks to cancel our original plans and research and book replacement activities. When you make a switch 5 weeks out, you stick with it.

HAPPY to hear St. thomas is able to accept ships but, inconsiderate of HAL? Really? I cut them a lot of slack. This has been a nightmare for the caribbean. The islands are coping with such extreme crfcumstances and I think the cruise lines are doin g the best they can based upon how quickly the islands clean up and get in condition t hey can accept ships and thousands of tourists. So much is out of cruise line's control I think it unreasonable to blame them for anyn change s in plans. no one planned on hurricane after hurricane........... The decision by HAL could not be made until decisions were made by others including, harbor masters, security and tourism councils. . You are lucky you won't be going to St.. Croix. I'd take St. Thomas any day over St. Croix, JMO. I am so happy to hear the infarstructure of St. Thomas is recovering rather quickly, it seems. You think the cruiser had to do so much work to rearrange their plans for a day in port. . A bit of perspective might be helpful. ..... how about the work these islanders and cruise lines have been doing in order for us to have our cruises at all. JMO It isn't as though your cruise is the one only ship they have to deral with. How about all the other cruise lines and other ships and other isslands so badly damaged? I a pplaud them to be able to continue on with loading us onto ships and sailing th e Caribbean that has been so horridly struck in the this extreme Atlantic Caribbean hurricane Let's be grateful the p e ople in these islands are starting to get back on their feet and on with their usual lives. THAT is the message IMO..

Edited by sail7seas

we are sailing on the 12th on HAL Eurodam and did not get notification of changes yet. Changed yesterday on line I guess originally for St Marteen then St Croix now St Thomas. Again I do not believe they are ready for ships either. Go to St Thomas face book hurricane updates. Tells the real story of the condition of the :(islands.

How do we find that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's also pretty inconsiderate of HAL, IMHO, to switch back after giving us two weeks to cancel our original plans and research and book replacement activities. When you make a switch 5 weeks out, you stick with it.

I hope you never get a hurricane in your neighborhood ! Learn to Be Flexible!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If Holland did not change back to St Thomas, there would be a multitude of posts criticizing them for not switching back.

Those ports that are reopening desperately need the port fees the ships bring. The citizens need jobs - and a huge percentage of them are employed one way or another with tourism.

It takes a long, long time for an area to recover from a hurricane. For example, there's a town in South Carolina - inland USA - that was flooded by hurricane Matthew in Oct 2017. A year later only 4 businesses have been able to reopen downtown and there are whole streets where only 1 or 2 families have been able to renovate and return.

HAL is damned it the do and damned it they don't. Sad.

Spoken for truth. I can't understand how anyone can be critical of cruise lines given what has taken place in the Caribbean.
Certtainly,,,,,,,,,,,, I so agree.

Of course, how can any of us be less than undestanding and compassiionate?

This atlantic hurricane sesason has been histo;ric, so much damage, so much suffering, so many still struggling to get their lives together and the cruise line is inconsiderate ?

Oh my, I think it fantastic there will still be a Caribbean cruis e season this year. Lots of hard wo;rk is going into making that happen.

Spoken for truth. I can't understand how anyone can be critical of cruise lines given what has taken place in the Caribbean.
I wasn't critical when they switched ports 5 weeks out - quite the opposite. HAL switching back at 3 weeks out did tick me off, especially after you read their own Caribbean Port Assessment showing St. Croix open Mar 01, 2018. How do they justify having moved a scheduled stop to a port that won't be ready for over four months? Somebody at HAL dropped the ball big time!

I'm also highly aware of the need for business/money in the Caribbean. We chose to send some badly needed monetary assistance to a family we know in Puerto Rico. It took over ten days after the storm before Western Union would accept a wire transfer, then four days of them waiting in line only to have the cash run out before their turn. All services that we take for granted have yet to be restored. Please don't assume we lack empathy or understanding without having met us!

My bride still works for a living, so I do jealously guard her vacation time. If she were retired, "Disaster Tourism" wouldn't bother us.

Edited by blizzardboy

I wasn't critical when they switched ports 5 weeks out - quite the opposite. HAL switching back at 3 weeks out did tick me off, especially after you read their own Caribbean Port Assessment showing St. Croix open Mar 01, 2018. How do they justify having moved a scheduled stop to a port that won't be ready for over four months? Somebody at HAL dropped the ball big time!

I'm also highly aware of the need for business/money in the Caribbean. We chose to send some badly needed monetary assistance to a family we know in Puerto Rico. It took over ten days after the storm before Western Union would accept a wire transfer, then four days of them waiting in line only to have the cash run out before their turn. All services that we take for granted have yet to be restored. Please don't assume we lack empathy or understanding without having met us!

My bride still works for a living, so I do jealously guard her vacation time. If she were retired, "Disaster Tourism" wouldn't bother us.

I'm sure many people in the Caribbean that don't have electricity or running water would happily change places with you. Many people are still in the workforce. Not everyone is retired on this board.

We're taking our kids and grandkids on a cruise. We couldn't get everyone's act together for Alaska, but we're able to do so for the Caribbean over Christmas. It'll never happen again and we've been locked in since January.

After the hurricanes I was afraid everything would be cancelled. Now, I see the cruise in a new light...in fact a more meaningful light. I guess I'm just not such a frequent or jaded cruiser, but I feel wherever HAL manages to paste together an itinerary will work for us. It will still be a one week holiday cruise with all of our family together in good health and and sharing each other's love and happiness.

I really wanted to go to St. Martin, but I think we're going to enjoy St. Thomas more than the temporarily inserted St. Croix. And if there are more changes? What the heck...it's still a Caribbean cruise. Go ahead and surprise me!

Edited by Oregonpoppa
Omitted words

Been on cruise critic very long?

If a cruise line gave each passenger a $100 bill upon boarding, some would complain about having to go to the front desk to get it exchanged for $20 bills.

Been on cruise critic very long?

If a cruise line gave each passenger a $100 bill upon boarding, some would complain about having to go to the front desk to get it exchanged for $20 bills.

LOL,,,, If I didn;'t know you are likely spot on,I would be howling in laughter. :'):D

I'm sure many people in the Caribbean that don't have electricity or running water would happily change places with you. Many people are still in the workforce. Not everyone is retired on this board.
Good grief, Mrs. Obvious! You don't have a corner on the altruism market. You sound a lot like my Mom when we were kids, telling us about all the starving kids that would gladly clean our plates. Believe me I know how blessed we are. That's why we chose to help our Puerto Rican friends-in-need!

I do think you're missing my point. We don't care which ports we're going to visit in three weeks, and we wouldn't think of cancelling due to the storm. It's the unprofessional manner in which HAL has dealt with the situation that has me ticked off. Just from having watched the news, I privately questioned the switch to St. Croix on Oct 5, but I trusted in HAL's experience and contacts in the region. Two weeks later my concerns proved valid and my trust in HAL misplaced when I saw a document on their own site telling me St. Croix wouldn't be ready until March. We have not always had perfect experiences with HAL, but they've always owned up to their shortcomings when they've been pointed out. In this case they've yet to do so.

If the president's press secretary can't keep up with her boss's changing tweeted positions, have pity on the poor HAL phone reps who may not have the latest poop on port conditions and itinerary switches. If you've ever run even a small or family business you know how fast things can change and how difficult communicating with all markets and customers can be. HAL has a lot on its plate. Communicating instantly via email and the Internet may seem simple, but isn't. Chill!

Very interesting. Imformation on the net states that the first cruise ship to return to St Thomas will be Adventure of the Seas on November 10th.

I will be on the Oosterdam's Nov 4th cruise which has just restored St Thomas port call on Nov 8th. Looks like the Oosterdam will actually be the first cruise ship to return to St Thomas.