Advice re Eagle Beach please

IHRS

We are planning to get a taxi to Eagle Beach when we are in port

I've read on these boards that it is quieter and nicer than Palm Beach but that it caters more for the local hotels

I've also read there are new concessions / restrooms open in the Chalet Suisse / Costa Linda area or the beach to encourage more cruise ship visitors

So if we get the taxi to drop us in that area will we find

A simple beach bar, restrooms and chair hire welcoming cruise ship visitors

Any advise on price / location for drop off etc would be much appreciated

I don't know the prices, but you will have a much better chance of getting chairs and an umbrella if you get dropped off near Chalet Suisse. There are three vendors in that area, so much more opportunities. I stay at Costa Linda every year. They are not at all cruiser friendly. There is now a vendor beside Costa Linda, but he doesn't have a lot of umbrellas. That is primarily the locals beach, and they have soccer practice, running drills, church services, camping, loud music, drummers, you name it, there. It can get very noisy and congested at times. I don't recommend it.

• 2 weeks later...

Just spent a week on Eagle Beach and yes, get dropped off in front of Chalet Suisse. Our resort provided chairs and umbrellas, but I think the price I overheard from the vendors next to us was $30 for the umbrella and 2 chairs for the day. There is a concession stand right there but I also so the bar/restaurant server from our resort go over to those chairs and take orders and deliver food. I assume you would just pay cash since you couldn't charge it to your room. Or a very easy walk a across the street to Paradise Beach Villas or La Cabana and patronize their restaurants and bars.

We were just there a little over a week ago. We ended up heading towards the Palm Beach area, but in going past Eagle Beach we saw a few different vendor buildings offering chairs and umbrellas for rent so it looks like they are expanding offerings a bit. As mentioned, you can very easily head across the road to the resorts and get food/drink if you don't locate yourself near one of the food vendors.

FYI, if looking for transport, we took the local bus for roughly $5 for two of us each way. It made numerous stops, including across from Eagle Beach. Easy access to the bus stop once you leave the port area.

Thanks for the advise

So it looks like a drop of near Chalet Suisse should suit us fine

$30 is a bit steep for 2 chairs and an umbrella IMO so it would be interesting to hear how much others have paid

Can you confirm if there are Public restrooms nearby - pretty sure I've read there are

Thanks for the advise

So it looks like a drop of near Chalet Suisse should suit us fine

$30 is a bit steep for 2 chairs and an umbrella IMO so it would be interesting to hear how much others have paid

Can you confirm if there are Public restrooms nearby - pretty sure I've read there are

$30 or right around there is pretty common in Aruba. Don't expect to get that setup for much less if at all.

• 3 weeks later...

We were just at Eagle about 2 weeks ago, as this has long been our go to place when we want a beach day. But things have changed a bit from prior years. We took the 10a bus from town and got off at the normal Eagle beach stop. We then walked a few hundred yards North to the Amsterdam Manor and crossed over to the beach. For many years we have rented chairs on this section, but the Amsterdam Manor folks would no longer "make a deal" which might have been because there were 2 security folks (from the hotel) on the beach. The independent beach vendor only had lousy loungers (and no umbrellas) so we decided to try something new. We walked about 50 yards North which got us to the northern-most section of Eagle...and there was a relatively new beach vendor operation. They rented us nice loungers and a decent palapa for $25. This included use of their on-beach bathrooms and showers. They also had a nice beach bar with a small food menu including the usual things like burgers, fish sandwiches, etc. After having a delightful day we decided this would be our new "go to" place on Eagle.

Hank

Hank - to return to the ship, did you have to go back to the "usual" bus stop or is there a stop closer to your new "go to" place?

Hank - to return to the ship, did you have to go back to the "usual" bus stop or is there a stop closer to your new "go to" place?

There is a return bus stop only a few yards from that place where we rented chairs. There are actually a couple of bus stops at Eagle (on the return to town side of the road) whereas they only stop at one location on the outbound route (the buses use real bus stops). There are also numerous van/taxis that come along that road and you can flag them down (they are popular with locals). And finally, there are usually some taxis around if one prefers to spend a few extra dollars for that from of transport. For those not aware, the main bus station (in town) is located right across the street from the port (walk out of the port to the main road and the bus station is on the other side of the street a few yards towards your right).

Hank

There is a return bus stop only a few yards from that place where we rented chairs. There are actually a couple of bus stops at Eagle (on the return to town side of the road) whereas they only stop at one location on the outbound route (the buses use real bus stops). There are also numerous van/taxis that come along that road and you can flag them down (they are popular with locals). And finally, there are usually some taxis around if one prefers to spend a few extra dollars for that from of transport. For those not aware, the main bus station (in town) is located right across the street from the port (walk out of the port to the main road and the bus station is on the other side of the street a few yards towards your right).

Hank

Thanks!

Thanks for the info! We are planning to head to Eagle Beach for our first visit to Aruba in a few weeks. Where should we get off the bus to get to this newish vendor on the north end of Eagle? Also, hoping to pack a soft sided cooler and pick up some beer in port, is it frowned upon to bring this to the beach with us? Thanks!

Thanks for the info! We are planning to head to Eagle Beach for our first visit to Aruba in a few weeks. Where should we get off the bus to get to this newish vendor on the north end of Eagle? Also' date=' hoping to pack a soft sided cooler and pick up some beer in port, is it frowned upon to bring this to the beach with us? Thanks![/quote']

There is only one stop (on the way to Eagle) and its near the southern end (opposite end from where we go). When you get on the bus, simply ask the driver to tell you when you get to Eagle. The last few times we have taken the bus the driver has actually announced "this is the stop for Eagle Beach." There will also be others who will be getting off at that stop. Once you get off the bus, just keep walking along the road (there is a walk area) the same direction of the bus (the sea will be across the street on your left) until you get up about as far as the "Amsterdam Manor Beach Resort" and from here you an cross the street (there is a cross walk). The beach vendor here works for the Amsterdam Manor and was not very helpful (a few weeks ago). So from there, just keep walking (same direction with beach on your left) up to the next vendor (I think its about the last vendor on the beach) which is where we enjoyed renting loungers. Another strategy is simply cross the road at the bus stop, walk onto the beach, and start talking to the various vendors until you find a spot that makes you happy. There is a beach vendor across the road from the bus stop, but we thought that area was getting too crowded.

One tip...make sure whichever vendor you use.....has access to a bathroom :). It is a long day if you are drinking beer, and have no bathrooms :(.

Hank

• Like 1

There is only one stop (on the way to Eagle) and its near the southern end (opposite end from where we go). When you get on the bus, simply ask the driver to tell you when you get to Eagle. The last few times we have taken the bus the driver has actually announced "this is the stop for Eagle Beach." There will also be others who will be getting off at that stop. Once you get off the bus, just keep walking along the road (there is a walk area) the same direction of the bus (the sea will be across the street on your left) until you get up about as far as the "Amsterdam Manor Beach Resort" and from here you an cross the street (there is a cross walk). The beach vendor here works for the Amsterdam Manor and was not very helpful (a few weeks ago). So from there, just keep walking (same direction with beach on your left) up to the next vendor (I think its about the last vendor on the beach) which is where we enjoyed renting loungers. Another strategy is simply cross the road at the bus stop, walk onto the beach, and start talking to the various vendors until you find a spot that makes you happy. There is a beach vendor across the road from the bus stop, but we thought that area was getting too crowded.

One tip...make sure whichever vendor you use.....has access to a bathroom :). It is a long day if you are drinking beer, and have no bathrooms :(.

Hank

Hank, it sounds like you walked down the beach to where Eagle ends at the rocks, across from the resort, Blue Residences. I hadn't heard that they have a vendor down there now. Did they build a snack bar/bathroom building down there also?

Hank, it sounds like you walked down the beach to where Eagle ends at the rocks, across from the resort, Blue Residences. I hadn't heard that they have a vendor down there now. Did they build a snack bar/bathroom building down there also?

It is a little way before the rocks...but that is the basic area. And yes, they have constructed a beach bar, rest rooms, and even a shower. Funny thing is that the buildings did not look brand new (we were there a few weeks ago) but I never recalled seeing them on previous trips. They even had electric power to each Palapa which they use to power some string lights (at night). But the outlets could also be used for other electric products such as a charger (we did not do this...but its nice to know).

Hank

It is a little way before the rocks...but that is the basic area. And yes, they have constructed a beach bar, rest rooms, and even a shower. Funny thing is that the buildings did not look brand new (we were there a few weeks ago) but I never recalled seeing them on previous trips. Hank

If we decided to take a taxi to get to this area of the beach, what would be the best spot/landmark to have a taxi drop us off?

Thanks

If we decided to take a taxi to get to this area of the beach, what would be the best spot/landmark to have a taxi drop us off?

Thanks

I would ask the taxi to drop just past the Amsterdam Manor (or right at that hotel). You then go on to the beach, turn right, and it would be the first facility past the beach bar that belongs to Amsterdam Manor. I will reiterate that DW and I have spent many fine days on the beach right in front of the Amsterdam Manor and we used to get their own folks to give us some decent lounger and a palapa (towards the rear of their palapas). But things were different on our recent visit which is what drove us up the beach to find this other vendor who could not have been nicer.

So I will be very specific. Across from the Amsterdam Manor there is the hotel vendor, who has pretty nice loungers and palapas....which are primarily for their hotel guests (but in the past they made exceptions for us and some others). But on our recent visit they would not even talk about renting us space...and sent us to another vendor (in front of their own area) who would only rent a sub-standard lounger (the ones with blue fabric where the backs do not go up high enough for a reader)...with no palapas. Since we did not like their kind of loungers (and the lack of shade) we simply turned towards the right (direction of Palm Beach) which is when we ran into this friendly vendor. We actually thought they were better then even the Amsterdam Manor folks since they had nice loungers, decent palapas, and rest rooms right on the beach :).

Hank

Hank,

On Google Map and there looks like there is a bus stop right at Amsterdam Manor northbound side. Just a little further north than where the southbound side bus stop is in that area. Do you know if the bus still stops here?

Thanks

Hank,

On Google Map and there looks like there is a bus stop right at Amsterdam Manor northbound side. Just a little further north than where the southbound side bus stop is in that area. Do you know if the bus still stops here?

Thanks

I honestly do not know. A few weeks ago when we reached Eagle, our bus driver made an announcement that this was the stop for Eagle. We were near the rear of the crowded bus and did not want to take the chance that he would just go on to Palm without stopping at that 2nd Eagle stop. Once off the bus we started talking to some other folks and forgot to watch to see if the bus stopped further up the road. My advice is to ask the driver (he/she is the true authority). That 2nd stop would certainly be closer if going to that beach vendor we mentioned. But the walk from the first stop is only about 5 minutes.

On the way back to town we know he did make 2 stops at Eagle....one on the Northern part of the beach (near where we were lounging) and the other further south near the Chalet Suisse. But for the sake of anyone reading this post, the entire Eagle beach is walkable for folks who have no mobility problems. If you fail to get off at Eagle (on the way out to the beaches) you will likely end up at Palm Beach....which is a darn good consolation prize ::).

Hank

• 6 months later...
I would ask the taxi to drop just past the Amsterdam Manor (or right at that hotel). You then go on to the beach, turn right, and it would be the first facility past the beach bar that belongs to Amsterdam Manor.

Hank

Hank,

Reporting back from our trip. So the taxi ended up doing a u turn and dropping us right at the bus stop in from of Passions on the Beach (same side of highway as Passions.) We walked out to the beach, turned right and started walking. But didn't see this vendor. Then started second guessing were we in the right place. We ended up just settling for the loungers (looking at the water from the road) on the left a little ways from Passions.

But really wanted to find/use this vendor and planned to again find them our next trip. Probably 2020.

Thanks for the info. Not sure where we went wrong.

Thanks

Hank,

Reporting back from our trip. So the taxi ended up doing a u turn and dropping us right at the bus stop in from of Passions on the Beach (same side of highway as Passions.) We walked out to the beach, turned right and started walking. But didn't see this vendor. Then started second guessing were we in the right place. We ended up just settling for the loungers (looking at the water from the road) on the left a little ways from Passions.

But really wanted to find/use this vendor and planned to again find them our next trip. Probably 2020.

Thanks for the info. Not sure where we went wrong.

Thanks

Since Hank's visit, the government has cracked down on vendors who don't have permits. They have hauled away their beach chairs, gear, etc. I don't know this vendor, but this might have been the case. Since there has been a building erected there, the government is probably looking for a vendor that is willing to pay premium price for that spot. However, this is just speculation on my part. I own a timeshare in Aruba and vacation there for several weeks every year, and I get all of the latest news about what's happening through various sources .

Since Hank's visit, the government has cracked down on vendors who don't have permits. They have hauled away their beach chairs, gear, etc. I don't know this vendor, but this might have been the case. Since there has been a building erected there, the government is probably looking for a vendor that is willing to pay premium price for that spot. However, this is just speculation on my part. I own a timeshare in Aruba and vacation there for several weeks every year, and I get all of the latest news about what's happening through various sources .

Thanks Hatteras51

Oh My! The vendor we referenced had their own building, bars, rest rooms, etc. They did not seem like interlopers but anything is possible in paradise. We might be back in Aruba in early November...and if so...will have to check out the Eagle situation.

Hank

Oh My! The vendor we referenced had their own building, bars, rest rooms, etc. They did not seem like interlopers but anything is possible in paradise. We might be back in Aruba in early November...and if so...will have to check out the Eagle situation.

Hank

I won't be back on the island until February. I'll try to check it out then. Hank, if you go in November and find out what's going on, please let us know. Are you planning a land vacation or another cruise? There are some new fabulous restaurants that I can share with you. I remembered that you haven't found any. Some need reservations months in advance.

I won't be back on the island until February. I'll try to check it out then. Hank, if you go in November and find out what's going on, please let us know. Are you planning a land vacation or another cruise? There are some new fabulous restaurants that I can share with you. I remembered that you haven't found any. Some need reservations months in advance.

It will likely be a cruise stop although a land vacation (perhaps a week visit) is also possible. We traditionally do a last minute trip that time of year (late Oct - early Nov) and will make a final travel decision based on how we feel at the time and available deals. You should post your "fabulous" restaurant info since we have never been overwhelmed by Aruba eating venues. We have wanted to try Fred's, but since we do not plan these kind of trips more then a few days or weeks in advance it has been impossible to even get a reservation. But I must admit that when we vacation on Aruba its not for the food.

Hank