New MSC Caribbean & Panama Canal Brochure

eroller

Today I received the new MSC Caribbean and Panama Canal brochure, complete with new "Premium Class" signature line. I must say I am impressed. I can already see where the work of the new N. American CEO is paying off.

MSC looks like a winner. New ships, nice itineraries, and Italian style. The biggest appeal for me is they are not part of the "big three", but a viable independant alternative that seems quality driven and a good value. I hope to try them soon!

Ernie

We agree! We're set to sail on the Opera from Genoa this Sunday and can hardly wait. The cruise information package we received in the mail this week is very impressive, with two attracitve softcover books (one on ship information and the other on the available excursions) in five languages. Very slick. Hope this kind of attention to detail is carried over to everything on the ship.

Good news! Can't wait to get the new one...last year's is looking a bit dog earred! Still planning on doing the Lirica in Spring...just waiting for a great deal to come along! Would love to do a crossing on MSC, but have to wait for good deals on the cruise AND air!

Happy cruising, all!

I just got mine as well - a rather nice brochure, though putting a rendering of a regular outside cabin and labelling it "balcony" with a little asterisk explaining that it is, in fact, a regular outside cabin is slightly odd.

Otherwise, not a bad brochure. Then again, the past few MSC brochures have actually been very serviceable efforts.

The thing I liked about this one is that it puts a fair amount of emphasis on the design of the ships, with lots of interior photos.

I still can't get used to the "premium class" tagline though - I guess I'm just too sick of all the "premium" this and "premium" that that we see in the cruise industry right now.

Yo-

We're booked on the 03/31/05 West Indies eleven night trip on the "Lirica"

I booked this cruise in the anticipation that the new management will have put in place their signatures on the Italian cruise experience by then. We have not been on an all Italian cruise since our Sitmar experience on the "Fairsea" back in 1986 (what a GREAT cruise experience that was!!)

We have ordered our booklets from MSC and are looking forward to receiving them in the near future.

Happy Cruisin'

Mike

I booked this cruise in the anticipation that the new management will have put in place their signatures on the Italian cruise experience by then. We have not been on an all Italian cruise since our Sitmar experience on the "Fairsea" back in 1986 (what a GREAT cruise experience that was!!)

I think a lot of us are hoping MSC will be a modern day "Home Lines" or "Sitmar Cruises". They claim to be truly Italian, and that is a plus in my book! Costa also calls themselves Italian, but it's actually nothing more than a facade (like a Disney theme) with a few Italian officers that you will probably never see.

Ernie

Hooray! Got my brochure in the mail today. I noticed that the Panama Canal itinerary is now listing Ocho Rios as a port rather than Key West.

We really liked the Lirica. LOTS of Italian crew members, eroller. And Italian lessons were offered. I was impressed with Francesco...not sure if his title was CD, Head of Animation crew or ?...he was one of those people who could switch from Italian to English to French to Spanish to German in a flash and sometimes in the same sentence! Our waiter was Italian. Our favorite bar crew people were from Peru, Romania, Philipines, Jamaica, etc. Boy, that makes it sound like we spent most of our time in the bars, doesn't it! Guess I'm trying to say that although there were a lot of Italian crew members, there was also a nice mix from other countries. Every one we met was terrific and we have no complaints about the service or the way we were treated.

Happy cruising!

Oops. One more thing...the theme cruises! I started cruising because of jazz festivals at sea. Now MSC is bringing it back! Does any one out there remember when NCL did theme cruises? They were terrific! I believe for a while at least, NCL was involved with HOSS and hosted some pretty fantastic artists. If MSC can capture this now defunct niche, they will have me on their frequent cruiser list! It's good to see they are at least testing the waters (sorry...had to do that!) in this area by having big band, jazz, oldies, etc. cruises. Life is good.

Happy cruising!

With the news of no more discounting from RCI and Carnival we are now looking at MSC. I think that the new management will bring this line right to the top.

We have been with Celebrity a long time but it is time for a change and MSC looks like the line that we will be booking with.

ROSS

• 3 weeks later...
We agree! We're set to sail on the Opera from Genoa this Sunday and can hardly wait. The cruise information package we received in the mail this week is very impressive, with two attracitve softcover books (one on ship information and the other on the available excursions) in five languages. Very slick. Hope this kind of attention to detail is carried over to everything on the ship.

I am live in neighbouring Oshawa and would love to hear your review upon your return. I am contemplating this cruise line for the Med in 2005. Normally I cruise on Celebrity but think a change would be great.

With the news of no more discounting from RCI and Carnival we are now looking at MSC. I think that the new management will bring this line right to the top.

We have been with Celebrity a long time but it is time for a change and MSC looks like the line that we will be booking with.

ROSS

Hear Hear! I too am ready for a change. Been with Celebrity on 5 cruises and need a change. Celebrity is really pricey right now!

I am live in neighbouring Oshawa and would love to hear your review upon your return. I am contemplating this cruise line for the Med in 2005. Normally I cruise on Celebrity but think a change would be great.

Hi reader2

My multiple installment review is on another thread in the MSC section of this board http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=63276

Enjoy

Archived