Questions on kayaking in Alaska

SlainteMhiah

We are going to be on the Sojourn in June and there are several locations where we can either do Kayaking, Zodiac, or Catamaran excursions and struggling to pick which one to do where (mainly between Catamaran and Kayaking).

We have the option for Kayaking or Catamaran at

Misty Fjord

Tracy Arm or Endicott Arm

And Kayaking or Zodiac at

Inian Islands

Has anyone done any of these excursions and would be willing to share your experiences?

Thank you!

I too would like feedback on these excursions. How strenuous is the kayaking? I have never done that.

I am curious as to why you are not seriously considering the zodiac adventure,

Well based on other reviews of the zodiac adventure, because you sit up on the sides of the zodiac you get just as wet as kayaking, but don't have the speed the catamaran does, so you don't go as far up as the catamaran. If I'm going to get wet, I'd rather not hear a boat engine and enjoy the silence. Just a personal preference.

Are these excursions using Seabourn equipment and their marina or a 3rd party? We're on an Alaska cruise at the end of August and husband hasn't found any Seabourn excursions using their equipment. I saw some notes from last year at the beginning of the season there were regulation/licensing issues - have started to research that and just wonder if anyone seeing this thread knows? Thanks!!

Are these excursions using Seabourn equipment and their marina or a 3rd party? We're on an Alaska cruise at the end of August and husband hasn't found any Seabourn excursions using their equipment. I saw some notes from last year at the beginning of the season there were regulation/licensing issues - have started to research that and just wonder if anyone seeing this thread knows? Thanks!!

Kayaks used were Seabourn two person kayaks. The problem with the zodiacs were they were not American made so couldn't be used in Alaska only in Canada. This problem has now been resolved I have been told, so the new Seabourn zodiacs can be used. The Catamaran's are local providers not Seabourn.

We are going to be on the Sojourn in June and there are several locations where we can either do Kayaking, Zodiac, or Catamaran excursions and struggling to pick which one to do where (mainly between Catamaran and Kayaking).

We have the option for Kayaking or Catamaran at

Misty Fjord

Tracy Arm or Endicott Arm

And Kayaking or Zodiac at

Inian Islands

Has anyone done any of these excursions and would be willing to share your experiences?

Thank you!

I only did the kayaking in these places but loved it all. Tracy Arm was amazing kayaking amongst the ice and getting close, but not to close for safety, to the glacier. The two venture experts in single kayaks would talk to us about the glaciers as we kayaked.

Misty Fjord was a different experience, very calm, well apart from the float planes landing :). But I got some great photos of them landing and taking off. Lots of waterfalls and mist on the heights. We only saw eagles and other birdlife there.

I would find it hard to choose between the Tracy Arm and Misty Fjords as to which to do. I will try to post some photos.

Inian Islands was a misty day but we got to see many seals. But I think with wildlife it is always pot luck what you will see.

Some people onboard who are keen photographers did a mixture of kayaking and catamaran. Taking photos in the kayak can be tricky due to stability issues.

When we got to Canada and could use the seabourn zodiacs and friends who did these tours really enjoyed them.

Julie

Julie - Thanks for the information and the pictures. It is very tough to decide which place to kayak and which one to do a catamaran, both sound like good options. If the schedule allows I may end up doing both at Tracy Arm for the experience.