Uber or Lyft vs Carmel?

CanICruiseSoonPlease

Looking to get from Times Square area to Red Hook. Does Uber or Lyft charge tolls like Carmel does? Any opinions on the better choice?

Please, I'm not looking to take the subway, so no opinions on that please. Thanks!!![emoji2]

Sent from my SM-N920T using Forums mobile app

It depends - https://help.uber.com/h/776390a5-b197-412a-98c4-011c85799dc1

There are ways to get from Times Square to Red Hook without tolls, but the Hugh Carey Tunnel (Brooklyn Battery Tunnel), which Is the most direct way coming down the west side, does have a toll.

We never recommend the subway to Red Hook, but we do recommend the very accessible MTA water taxi from Wall St Pier 11 to Red Hook right by the cruise terminal for $2.75/pp.

Passengers riding, whether in Uber, Lyft or car service, and taxi, i.e. Carmel or Dial 7, are responsible for paying for any applicable tolls, and the charges are added to the final fares to be collected ... depending on the routes taken. NYC MTA crossings are now cash-less toll.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Also the APP's now has the option to add gratuities to your billing, or you can give in cash to the driver.

I prefer to give in cash.

I give a cash gratuity for any ride over $25. For under $25 where the gratuity is under $5, I use the app. I don’t usually have the right amount in dollar bills for cash tips on short rides. Always cash going to the airport or train station, any where I have a bag. I plan ahead for those rides. Check both Lyft and Uber for airport rides as there can be a difference in price.

I can tell the drivers appreciate cash. I can also tell that drivers tend to be somewhat surprised. So I don’t think most tip cash and it is not necessary to tip cash or even tip. I think a gratuity in cash or on the app is the right thing to do.

Edited by Charles4515

Cash toll is $8.50 and car services do have the choice per TLC rules to not collect it based on the EZ-Pass discounted rate of $5.76 for the H. Carey Tunnel, - a preferrred route going downtown via the West Side Hwy from the Times Square area hotels (especially on weekends).

Going across town to head south on the FDR Drive can be slower; and, the Brooklyn Bridge over the East River to Brooklyn is free with no toll (yet.)

Curious what 3X toll rates Carmel is quoting ??

VPN via my Moto Nexus 6 Andriod Pie using Forums mobile app

Cash toll is $8.50 and car services do have the choice per TLC rules to not collect it based on the EZ-Pass discounted rate of $5.76 for the H. Carey Tunnel, - a preferrred route going downtown via the West Side Hwy from the Times Square area hotels (especially on weekends).

Going across town to head south on the FDR Drive can be slower; and, the Brooklyn Bridge over the East River to Brooklyn is free with no toll (yet.)

Curious what 3X toll rates Carmel is quoting ??

VPN via my Moto Nexus 6 Andriod Pie using Forums mobile app

They said tolls were 15-18. I cant remember exactly.

I used Dial 7 website for a quote from Newark to Cape Liberty. Are there tolls for this trip?

Newark or Newark Airport to Cape Liberty? Tolls could be $1.65-3.00 depending on the route taken. From Newark there is also a toll free route that your driver might take depending on traffic conditions.

Newark Airport to Cape Liberty Cruise. Online quote $51 for a minivan. We have a scooter that breaks down in parts. A vehicle with a lift is not needed. We’re comparing options of a private transfer or a ship transfer.

So $51 + 18-20% tip plus $1.65-3.00 is your projected cost.

Thank you Carol. That’s more expensive than Royal Caribbean.

True, but not that much more for personal service and dealing with your scooter. Chances are you will wait around for the RCL transfer to fill up and your scooter will be put under the bus in the luggage hold.