What’s Included? Differences between Regent and Crystal...

snuggarelli

Snuggarelli,

You asked for feedback from those who have sailed both lines. We have sailed both lines and enjoy both. We concur with the previous posters who actually post from their own personal experiences.

Another interesting difference between Regent and Crystal can be seen on their respective cruise critic boards. On the Regent board you often hear from those who cannot resist telling others what suite they are in, how to dress, whether to tip, how often they dine with officers, their free cruises, etc. It is quite different on the Crystal board. In reality, onboard both cruise lines we have encountered extremely courteous passengers and superb service.

Please do not judge Regent or Crystal based upon opinions from experts who have never sailed with them. Some things just cannot be put into words. They have to be experienced.

Best of luck to you. You cannot go wrong with either one.

Thanks Uncle D! We are going on a Regent cruise to the Med in 2019 which we’re pretty excited about (sans the kids- woohoo!). 2020 - last night we realized it’ll be our 25th anniversary. So maybe we’ll try the Caribbean (since it’s in December). Since it sounds like many of you have tried both Crystal and Regent, you guys have me thinking; maybe we’ll do the Caribbean on Crystal that year. 2021 is up in the air. Maybe a land trip to visit my family in Japan since everyone’s been talking about the cruise to Japan!

Speaking of cost-analysis, did you know that just adding the cruise cost for a similar suite and adding a business class flight for a Disney Cruise is actually slightly more expensive than Regent? That doesn’t even include the drinks, excursions, etc. That’s how over the top the prices have become on DCL. Ugh.

Thanks Uncle D! We are going on a Regent cruise to the Med in 2019 which we’re pretty excited about (sans the kids- woohoo!). 2020 - last night we realized it’ll be our 25th anniversary. So maybe we’ll try the Caribbean (since it’s in December). Since it sounds like many of you have tried both Crystal and Regent, you guys have me thinking; maybe we’ll do the Caribbean on Crystal that year. 2021 is up in the air. Maybe a land trip to visit my family in Japan since everyone’s been talking about the cruise to Japan!

Speaking of cost-analysis, did you know that just adding the cruise cost for a similar suite and adding a business class flight for a Disney Cruise is actually slightly more expensive than Regent? That doesn’t even include the drinks, excursions, etc. That’s how over the top the prices have become on DCL. Ugh.

Maybe Mickey asked for a raise!

We cruise on both Crystal and Regent. We were on Crystal in Late May and could not go into port in Hilo because of the volcano. They actually offered a refund for that day. Last September we were on the Mariner and missed 2 ports because of hurricanes and no cash refund. I do like Regents staterooms particularly on the Explorer. The lectures

are great on Crystal

This year we discovered a big financial incentive in favour of Regent. Regent bills in Canadian dollars - so no foreign exchange on the credit card. And Regent is also marketing Canadian dollars at par on some (quite a few, actually) cruises. Together that saves almost 30% on cruise fares for those north of 49. Crystal has never come close to this marketing concept.

Not quite the "included" aspect the OP meant, but a big plus when comparing these 2 excellent lines.

This year we discovered a big financial incentive in favour of Regent. Regent bills in Canadian dollars - so no foreign exchange on the credit card. And Regent is also marketing Canadian dollars at par on some (quite a few, actually) cruises. Together that saves almost 30% on cruise fares for those north of 49. Crystal has never come close to this marketing concept.

Not quite the "included" aspect the OP meant, but a big plus when comparing these 2 excellent lines.

Really a great reason to sail Regent. Have you sailed on Regent yet? Hope that you give it a try.

P.S. Gin choices on Crystal? I guess that is nice for people in the U.K. that are into gin (sort of like people in the U.S. are into vodka, beer, etc.) but definitely not a reason to change cruise lines.

P.S. Gin choices on Crystal? I guess that is nice for people in the U.K. that are into gin (sort of like people in the U.S. are into vodka, beer, etc.) but definitely not a reason to change cruise lines.

Please try and be a little more objective with your comments - I hardly think you can categorise Gin drinkers as being “from the UK” - it’s a global liquor produced and drunk by people all around the world. As for your comment on beer drinkers being from the US - that is just so wrong - it’s best not to try and stereotype people on what they drink based on where they live as it’s just not an accurate basis for describing individuals tastes

No one is saying anyone would change lines because of gin choices or any other single factor but let’s not dismiss out of hand any positive factors on Crystal (or Regent for that matter)

Edited by Stickman1990

I think there's plenty of people who drink gin. It's not for everyone. Some just stick with the "starter spirit" of vodka and never leave their comfort zone. Odorless, colorless and tasteless (like some posts)

As a Gen-xer, I liked seeing these interesting cocktails. I sampled a few on my cruise this summer. Of course, some think Gen-x, especially those with kids shouldn't like luxury cruising. (My guess on the snarky post regarding Disney)

Having sailed both C and R, I can boil it down to a couple of quick questions:

If your primary criterion is size of accomodations - go R

If your primary criterion is onboard enrichment - go C

If your primary criterion is onboard entertainment - go C

If your primary criterion is food -- it depends. C excels with their Italian and Japanese specialties, while R is better if your tastes run to meat and continental.

If your primary criterion is the "included extras" - go R. The air benefit is nice for those who don't want to arrange things on their own (though often one can do "better") and the excursions fit for those who are on port-intensive itineraries where you want to do something every day and max out that "freebie".

If your primary criterion is onboard service, it's close to a toss-up. C staff are exceptional for returning guests - the staff retention works for those who come back again and again. R staff, IMO, are better on first-time exposure. Overall, it's six of one, half dozen of another.

Just my two cents worth.

Just my two cents worth.

Great synopsis FlyerTalker - while I haven’t sailed Regent I’d certainly give it a try and may well do so in 2019 if my “cunning plan” comes off

I’ve certainly sailed Crystal and I know what I like - four more booked for 2019 and can’t wait to get back onboard

Hoping that they build suites that are competitive to other luxury cruise lines.

2022 is such a long ways off. No real details announced at this point apart from overall size and capacity

The size of suites is just one component - personally that element is not an issue for me

Until they actually commit and start construction and announce solid plans I’m afraid Crystal is definitely lagging it’s competitors in having modern ships and facilities and the benefits that go with them - having said that what they have is an excellent product for those who choose to sail with them today (aside from the size of the rooms which is clearly important to you but not so to others)

2022 is such a long ways off. No real details announced at this point apart from overall size and capacity

The size of suites is just one component - personally that element is not an issue for me

Until they actually commit and start construction and announce solid plans I’m afraid Crystal is definitely lagging it’s competitors in having modern ships and facilities and the benefits that go with them - having said that what they have is an excellent product for those who choose to sail with them today (aside from the size of the rooms which is clearly important to you but not so to others)

I agree with you as other new luxury lines are premiering and new builds such as Regent and Ritz Carlton will be out before Crystal. That being said Crystal still maintains their current ships in excellent condition and excellent consistent service. Regent is coming out with the Splendor which is open for bookings. We shall see.

Size of stateroom is important to us, just like TravelCat. You know, once you're used to something, you kind of want to keep going with it! :) I'm hoping that the Diamond class, being a smaller ship, will have bigger cabins that match Regent better in sq footage and fares.

As has been posted, the new ship will likely be more expensive. Even though the suites are smaller than Regent, their "upper" suites are far more money than Regent when you add in Business Class air and excursions. It is doubtful that the new Crystal ship will be less money than their existing ones.

Agree that when you are used to larger suites, downsizing is not an option that you want - although we have taken smaller suites on some cruises.

Whatever the outcome they will need to meet the market in terms of being both price and package competitive - otherwise they’ll be white elephants

In reality Crystal has over 25 years experience in the luxury market and a great reputation so I expect they’ll design and implement something that meets the markets requirements - which no doubt will have evolved by 2022 - it’s 4 years away after all

Crystal has way better-faster wi-fi,

J

J, we are on the Serenity now, and while the wi-fi speed is pretty decent when it is up, it has been maddeningly cutting out... frequently. It will come back after about 5-10 minutes, then a little while later, the same. Not sure if this is typical, or just a quirk.

Bob

If your primary criterion is size of accomodations - go R

FlyerTalker, I just want to point out that this is true only if you are comparing the basic Crystal cabin (category P1 through B3) with Regents most basic room (category H through G). But if you are doing an apples to apples comparison, I think it is more valid to compare the aforementioned Regent rooms to category PH on Crystal, which is the same approximate size. I am referring to the Crystal Penthouse, not Penthouse Suite , which is quite a bit larger , and way more expensive. (Crystal's cabin names are confusing).

As I indicated earlier, if one does a cost comparison factoring in what is and what is not included, the costs are not dramatically different.

But even this comparison is a bit misleading, as the Crystal PH also includes some things that the Regent categories that am referring to does not, such as Butler service and a huge whirlpool tub. So a true apples to apples comparison is not really possible.

You cannot go wrong with either one.

I cannot agree more. The subjective opinions that people express are fun to read, and I have nothing other than the utmost respect for everyone's opinions. But at the end of the day, your subjective opinion and my opinion and the opinion of the guy across the street does not amount to a hill of beans for someone who is trying to decide whether to cruise on Regent or Crystal. I have expressed this many times before, and will more likely than not express it many times more, as this seems to be a popular topic, but truly, if I close my eyes and try to picture myself not having a great time on either, I just can't do it; it doesn't compute.

IMHO, ideally, if one truly wants to know which line is better for them, you need to do them both. If this is not possible, choose based on itinerary, timing, and cost for any particular itinerary.

As UncleD has indicated, it is highly unlikely that you will be disappointed.

Bob

I was just reading a thread about the Master Suite on Explorer. If I may, here is a quote about the cost of Crystal vs. Regent from someone that has stayed in a Master Suite on Explorer and, from what I can tell, has also stayed in a CP suite on Crystal. "Great suite. Compares quite nicely with Crystal's CP - at a significantly lower cost." (the highlighting is mine).

I was just reading a thread about the Master Suite on Explorer. If I may, here is a quote about the cost of Crystal vs. Regent from someone that has stayed in a Master Suite on Explorer and, from what I can tell, has also stayed in a CP suite on Crystal. "Great suite. Compares quite nicely with Crystal's CP - at a significantly lower cost." (the highlighting is mine).

Jackie, the cabin names on Crystal are extremely confusing. After the Deluxe Stateroom with Veranda, which are the smaller cabins, is first "Penthouse with Butler Service". That is what I am in now. It is of comparable size and cost to a Veranda suite on Regent on a high deck.

Next is -"Penthouse Suite with Butler Service" . That is 538 Sq ft.

Finally, there is the "Crystal Penthouse" , 1345 Sq ft.

Clear as mud?

You are quite correct that the the higher level categories would be considerably more than comparable suites on Regent, at least that is how my analysis came out.

Bob

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

If you’re in the Crystal Penthouse, of which there are very few on either of the ships, then you are not counting your pennies or the relative cost

People cruise in what suits them - for some a Penthouse seems essential for others it is OTT. Each to their own

I’d venture the opinion that for most cruises there’s more to life onboard that what happens in their cabin

Jackie, the cabin names on Crystal are extremely confusing. After the Deluxe Stateroom with Veranda, which are the smaller cabins, is first "Penthouse with Butler Service". That is what I am in now. It is of comparable size and cost to a Veranda suite on Regent on a high deck.

Next is -"Penthouse Suite with Butler Service" . That is 538 Sq ft.

Finally, there is the "Crystal Penthouse" , 1345 Sq ft.

Clear as mud?

You are quite correct that the the higher level categories would be considerably more than comparable suites on Regent, at least that is how my analysis came out.

Bob

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Bob, thanks so much for the explanation. It sounds as if the Crystal Penthouse is comparable to Regent's Master suite although it costs more money. I'll have to take a look at it on the Crystal website.

Jackie

P.S. Stickman, agree that all of us have different needs/requirements, etc. For us, after 30+ years of international travel, many of the ports are ones that we have visited previously. While we enjoy going out - taking walks - visiting markets and tasting local food, we are on the ship more than passengers that are out taking long excursions. We enjoy our time on the ship immensely and like the comfort of having at least 1 1/2 bathrooms and a decent size living room so that we have places to relax.