Are the Princess Grills on the QE worth the increased cost.

1straveler

I having been cruising with Seabourn for the last few years. I have only one cruise on Cunard, the QM II. I am considering the QE Princess Grill accommodations on the January Panama Canal cruise. We enjoy Seabourn so much, I don't want to experience a let down. Any travelers with similar experience I would appreciate your comments.

That would depend very much on how much money you have and/or how much money you are willing to spend on certain things and/or what your life priorities are.

For me, it would not be "worth" the substantial increased cost.

Barry

I have never cruised with Seabourn so can't really talk about the comparison, but I do think Princess Grill on the QE is great. The food is good, and I enjoy being able to eat at any time within the hours that the restaurant is open rather than at a set time. Being at the same table for breakfast, lunch, and dinner is also good. The Grills Lounge, although small, is a good place for afternoon tea, pre dinner drinks, or else just relaxing in the afternoon. Lunch in the Courtyard is fun, and the Grills Terrace is a good place to lie in the sun. The staterooms are not very big, but are adequate, with great storage space, and a bath tub. Also being in PG gives you the chance of being upgraded to QG. I have always found that the service throughout the ship is good whether you are in the Grills or not. So, although PG may not really meet the same standards as you get on Seabourn, it is certainly more than acceptable, and QE is a really lovely ship:)

I having been cruising with Seabourn for the last few years. I have only one cruise on Cunard, the QM II. I am considering the QE Princess Grill accommodations on the January Panama Canal cruise. We enjoy Seabourn so much, I don't want to experience a let down. Any travelers with similar experience I would appreciate your comments.

Pricewise, you may want to try a Queens Grill suite. It's pretty close to what a Seaborn stateroom goes for, but it's usually larger & you do get more perks.

We are Seabourn fans. Last year we tried QM2 in Queens Grill 6. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves, but especially the dancing, which was our reason for giving Cunard a try. On Seabourn we book a basic guarantee suite on the small ships, and we have had a basic balcony on Sojourn. We found the QM6 more spacious, with a better balcony. The food was superb, we like being seated at the same table - it sounds unsociable, but we prefer to dine alone! We disliked the main dining room on Sojourn - to us it looked cold, and was cold, and lacked atmosphere. On QM2 the Queens grill was lovely, and the Princess Grill looked very similar. The dining rooms on the smaller triplets always have such a good vibe.

Seabourn is special, but we dislike flying, so have booked a Queen Grill Penthouse on Victoria for our upcoming March cruise. If Seabourn cruised to and from the u.k. we would book straight away........there again, we tried Oceania Marina in October last year, and that was good as well.....I suppose we just like cruising!! Have a lovely time.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for your comments and insight. We booked a princess grill suite on the January Panama Canal cruise. Although we love Seabourn the schedule for the Queen Elizabeth cruise was just too tempting. Hopefully we will have just as enjoyable experience as we have had on Seabourn. I find that the people you meet bring more pleasure to the cruise than most of the amenities offered by the ship.

1sttraveler,

Please remember one thing if you are a Seabourn veteran. Even if you travel in PG or QG on a cunard ship once you leave your cabin or the grills you are on a amass market ship with thousands of other people. Service will not be the same as it is on Seabourn throughout the ship. I have sailed on Cunard many times (LOVED the QE2) mostly in QG and twice in PG and the experiences are nice but I would ONLY do crossings, never cruises because the ships are far too large and you either dock far out or have to tender in many ports. I cruise in Seabourn because that it what they are good at.

Wripro, with eight days at sea on the Panama Canal cruise, hopefully it will similar in nature to the crossings. I was on Seabourn in February and paid my deposit for a future cruise, which I will take. I, however, got tired of waiting on Seabourn to announce their 2013 scheduled, which as I am sure you know just came out this week. I know we will not have the intimacy of the small ships, which I love, but I miss the formal evenings that are quickly becoming a thing of the past on Seabourn.

I have become accustomed to the Deluxe Suites on HAL - but I wanted a more interesting Canal itinerary than what HAL offer (One Caribbean port, the Canal, then Mexico, Mexico, Mexico, Mexico...)

We considered Crystal for being a smaller Luxury ship and all-inclusive, but then realized that for roughly the same money, we could go Cunard and get larger accommodations in PG as well as an equally interesting itinerary.

I particularly prefer having a set table/dinnertime and a few extra niceties - QG was too much of a stretch for my parents and as I'm likely to be traveling alone PG seems just fine for us. My TA was able to get us a pair of adjacent PG's on the Port Side, so that works out nicely.

1straveler - I'm glad you've booked and I see you've joined our Roll Call.

Looking forward to planning the trip with you!

Archived