Greece cruising in October wardobe

nycpammie

The average high in Athens is 64 degrees. With the dramatic climate changes it is difficult to predict anything. A lot depends upon how you tolerate temperatures. I would not need even a sweater at 64 degrees but people from Florida might be freezing.

Suggest packing a light jacket and layer clothing. In terms of wearing white, those 'rules' do not exist on the west coast - we wear anything we want. Maybe someone will chime in and let you know if the old white rule exists in Greece.

Greece is such an amazing country ... have a great cruise.

Edited by Travelcat2

The average high in Athens is 64 degrees. With the dramatic climate changes it is difficult to predict anything. A lot depends upon how you tolerate temperatures. I would not need even a sweater at 64 degrees but people from Florida might be freezing.

Suggest packing a light jacket and layer clothing. In terms of wearing white, those 'rules' do not exist on the west coast - we wear anything we want. Maybe someone will chime in and let you know if the old white rule exists in Greece.

Greece is such an amazing country ... have a great cruise.

Sorry for a bit of an off top - what is this “white rule”?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Sorry for a bit of an off top - what is this “white rule”?

Well here in N.A. at least, it used to be that you weren't supposed to wear white after Labour Day (first week of September, beginning of school term, signalling the end of summer.)

I would imagine white would almost always work in Greece. Never been there in October, but have in April, and it was lovely. A sweater or jacket, some long pants perhaps, a shawl or two, otherwise for me it would be capris and t-shirts during the day.

I don't think anybody knows the source of the "no white after Labor Day rule". So it is not really a rule! And it never applied to things like men's dress shirts, blouses, and such. I've heard it most used as to shoes, back when there were white shoes for both men and women (other than tennis shoes, to which the rule wasn't applied). Back in Tulsa, where my Dad was a businessman from in the late 30s through the 60s men used to wear suits and fedora hats to work. And there was a "felt hat day" and a "straw hat day" rule, and nobody ever knew the source of that rule either.

I Googled it and there seems to be a lot of opinions https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?hspart=domaindev&hsimp=yhs-st_emea&p=Whee+the+the+saying+%22no+white+after+Labor+Day%22+come+from%3f&type=dhm_A0GJW_ext_bsf__alt__ddc_srch_searchpulse_net

I didn't read any of them since I don't follow the rule, policy, or whatever. It really make no sense. We could make it more confusing by saying that the color of some clothing is "winter white".

Greece in October - transitional month between summer and winter but still warm. Could also be rainy. Bring clothes you can layer and don’t worry about white. If you want to wear white -do. No one has heard of that “rule” in Europe anyway. If it is warm or hot white is fine.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Traditionally, in Tulsa as well as most of the south, you were not supposed to wear a white dress, pants, shorts, shoes before Memorial Day or after Labor Day. I have a white dress and some white pants that I won’t be wearing after next weekend because I just can’t bring myself to do it—too ingrained.

As far as the felt vs straw hat issue, George wears a straw cowboy hat between April and end of September approx , and a felt hat the rest of the time. Of course, we are in Anchorage right now, so he is wearing a felt hat. It is more a temperature thing as the felt ones are way warmer.

We will have to remember these clothing conventions during our visit to the USA later this month ;)

Hopefully attitudes are not quite as extreme as in days gone by :eek:

9fefab4a0eda7b9e452b203a95a798c6.jpg

(Report from New York Tribune September 1922)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Traditionally, in Tulsa as well as most of the south, you were not supposed to wear a white dress, pants, shorts, shoes before Memorial Day or after Labor Day. I have a white dress and some white pants that I won’t be wearing after next weekend because I just can’t bring myself to do it—too ingrained.

As far as the felt vs straw hat issue, George wears a straw cowboy hat between April and end of September approx , and a felt hat the rest of the time. Of course, we are in Anchorage right now, so he is wearing a felt hat. It is more a temperature thing as the felt ones are way warmer.

I get the "ingrained" part. Being raised in California, it was ingrained in us that we could wear white, black or any other other color whenever we wanted to. The east coast has always been a bit more formal than the west coast which is fine. Some fashion is dictated simply by the weather like a felt hat vs. a straw one. Here it is almost September and Washington state finally has rain and cool weather, so, I'm wearing a long sleeved black top and black slacks with flip flops (just an example of how we do our own thing here).

Given the crazy weather this year, there could be a heat wave in Greece in October, it could be cold and rainy or it could be temperate and lovely. Hope that it is the latter.

Thanks for all of the information, what I was wondering really is should I bring some summer sun dresses?

In October, I probably would not. Now September, yes. I would bring a variety of tops, a couple of pair of capris, and a couple of pairs of slacks for day time. For the evening, I might bring a sleeveless cocktail dress though

The two current threads regarding what to wear in October is particularly interesting because we are going on a quickie 7 night cruise on September 2nd (Vancouver to San Diego). I live near Vancouver and lived 50 years in California so you would think that I'd know what the weather is like. I started packing today and was clueless as to what to pack. It was 64 degrees today and will get up to close to 80 on Tuesday and Wednesday only to dip down in the upper 60's next weekend. My point is that there is no way to tell what the weather will be.

I am packing for moderate weather (70's) but will have my ultra light jacket to stuff in my suitcase and will also pack summer things. In my opinion, this is the best way to go.

• 4 weeks later...

Looking at several sites for weather in October in Greece... to low to mid 70's F day , low to mid 60's F nights. As several have said, layer and if you have a packable poncho, take it! That being said, we were on a river cruise in Holland...record heat wave...same with a Viking Ocean cruise Into the Midnight Sun in mid June to July upper 70's in Nord Cap. So one never really knows for sure!

Also, for those questions re: white after Labor Day ----- I'm from the Midwest (a long time ago) my mother would not even wear white "tennis shoes" after LD!!! Thankfully, those days are a long time ago and certainly does not affect my SC new roots!!! It does bring a smile