ATN Airfare Questions

BeachTunes

Hello again!

As promised, I have more PG questions for you experts. ;) We intend to take care of the air component on our own for a variety of reasons and now I'm getting antsy about when to book! FYI, we plan to book our Toronto to Los Angeles flights on points and then will book our LAX-PPT flights with Air Tahiti Nui separately. We're spending a night in LA before heading to Tahiti so that lessens the hassle of trying to get our bags checked through on separate tickets - at least on the way there. Here goes...

1. How early do you prefer to book air for a PG cruise? We're currently 4 months from our departure/pre-cruise stay on Moorea. When we travel within Canada or to the US and Caribbean, I find I often get the best rates around the 8 to 10 week pre-travel mark. I don't want to push it that late to French Polynesia! I feel that's just too risky given how few options we have.

2. Right now ATN is showing airfare on our preferred dates for around $1245 USD per person in economy (LAX-PPT return from December 4-15)). Just yesterday it was several hundred dollars higher per person. Is $1245 USD a decent price? My hunch is that it's a decent fare and that I should book it soon...

3. I have read about past sales as recently as this year with pricing around the $1000 USD mark. Are those sales common? I know there are no guarantees.

Please note: I know that airfare is like playing roulette. Anything can happen! I once worked as a travel agent and have seen prices fluctuate right up until payment. So I know the game. When I book airfare, I don't look back or set myself up for buyer's remorse. I go with it and get on with it. Just wanted to put these questions out there as I am not as familiar with ATNs sale patterns, occupancy, etc. Our Canadian dollar is quite low compared to the US greenback so $1245 p/p becomes $1625 p/p Canadian. That's almost $800 more for us Canucks to get to paradise! We just want to plan wisely so we can spend even more on the fun stuff when we arrive! :)

Thank you so much everyone!

Well you said it yourself .... things can change daily if not hourly.

Without knowing your exact dates it is hard to comment. Even now the prices are different when booked a day before or after.

My current tickets for late November through early December are $880 R/T LAX-PPT. However, last week they were $808. Now I see $994.

$1245 is about average right now for November - December not counting the Holidays.

SFO-PPT on some dates shows $852 in November - December.

As I said it changes daily and fluctuates with other carriers.

I've paid $1800 before so just know $1245 is currently about average.

Thank you TBK! I had a hunch that you'd have some insight! :D

Good to know that $1245 seems like an average fare. We will work from there and hope for the best! Our dates are December 4 - 15 during the so-called travel lull between American Thanksgiving and Christmas so perhaps we'll luck out with a good price.

No matter what, we already know these vacation funds will be money well spent! Somehow I think I've caught the FP flu before even booking our flights! LOL! We can't wait!