Safety in French Polynesia and Cook Islands

MrRandal

I haven't read anything at all where someone stated they didn't feel safe while in French Polynesia. Is it as safe as it seems? Any areas that need to be avoided? I always take basic precautions, don't wear fancy watches or jewelry or flash any cash.

On a second note, how high do swells, and how strong do winds need to be before tendering becomes unsafe, and not possible, particularly in the Cook Islands?

Thank You,

Randy

PPT in the main part of the city after dark should be avoided, especially for ladies. Along the marina and ship wharf and where the food trucks are seems to be fine, just stay away from going a few blocks off the waterfront toward the center of town after dark, especially if it's getting late.

Most other islands are fine though I wouldn't leave anything valuable on the beach while you swimming, use basic good sense.

As far as your other question ... Sorry, I'm not the Captain :)

The PG crew is well instructed and capable to deal with what can be tough tendering on Rarotonga and Aitutaki, however, there are occasions that tendering is not possible though the Captain has been known to have a few tricks up his sleeve and can switch islands or go to the other side of the island. Worst thing that could happen is to get an extra day on Bora Bora ;)

It's always safety first but know this is a well oiled machine of a crew, the Captain has confidence in his crew.

Thanks Kahuna, we're doing PG pre and post stays, so comfortable getting from airport to hotel, hotel to boat. I'll exercise extra caution while on the beach. We do have a day room on PPT at the IC on our last day there before an 11:45pm departure, so we were going to spend some time shopping and eating in the city. I was amazed that sunset is so early in Sept, about 90 minutes earlier than SoCal. But, it's winter down there, so makes sense.

I know the PG drifts while off the Cooks, and tendering can be difficult. I'm following some long range weather forecasts and I realize they almost certainly will change, but right now they are showing 20+ mph winds with gusts to 40 in the Cooks when we'll be there. Lot's of sunshine though!

Thanks,

Randy

Thanks Kahuna, we're doing PG pre and post stays, so comfortable getting from airport to hotel, hotel to boat. I'll exercise extra caution while on the beach. We do have a day room on PPT at the IC on our last day there before an 11:45pm departure, so we were going to spend some time shopping and eating in the city. I was amazed that sunset is so early in Sept, about 90 minutes earlier than SoCal. But, it's winter down there, so makes sense.

I know the PG drifts while off the Cooks, and tendering can be difficult. I'm following some long range weather forecasts and I realize they almost certainly will change, but right now they are showing 20+ mph winds with gusts to 40 in the Cooks when we'll be there. Lot's of sunshine though!

Thanks,

Randy

I've been to the Cooks many times and there have been times when I've thought to tendering could not happen and it did though it isn't for those that have trouble getting around easily.

...I was amazed that sunset is so early in Sept, about 90 minutes earlier than SoCal. But, it's winter down there, so makes sense.

Remember that they're very near the equator. So sunset/sunrise varies very little during the year, only by about a half hour I believe. The day and night are pretty well split down the middle.

On a second note, how high do swells, and how strong do winds need to be before tendering becomes unsafe, and not possible, particularly in the Cook Islands?

I don't know how it works in terms of size of swells and strength of winds, but we barely tendered into Rarotonga last October, and had to pass up Aitutaki altogether. There were people who thought that the captain should not have attempted the former, lots of tossing around although no passengers got hurt.

I don't know how it works in terms of size of swells and strength of winds, but we barely tendered into Rarotonga last October, and had to pass up Aitutaki altogether. There were people who thought that the captain should not have attempted the former, lots of tossing around although no passengers got hurt.

Thanks Wendy, I don't think I'll let my wife read this particular post. :eek: