Canada

Traderbill

I live just outside Saint John, NB. Most of the stores uptown where the cruise terminal is will take USD, the same goes for Halifax. If you want some Canadian cash, there are several banks near the cruise terminal as well as ATMs all over the place where you can get some CAD. Make sure to save a toonie and loonie for a souvenir :)

Surpringly we will happily give you a poor exchange rate and your change in Canadian. So I definitely wouldn’t be handing over $100USD for a $5 purchase. Bank ATM’s will be everywhere, but credit cards are widely accepted. Get one without foreign transaction fees and it will likely be comparable to the exchange. Happy travels, it is a lovely itinerary.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are going on NE/ Canada cruise sept 2018. Can we us dollars in Canada or should we exchange for Canadian? And where do you exchange your money, without losing a lot with fees.

We will be sailing the same itinerary September 16 from Boston. When are you leaving? Don’t forget to join the roll call for your cruise. And welcome to Cruise Critic.

I always just use my credit card. It automatically makes the exchange and it guarantees I get the best exchange rate, and I have no foreign transaction fees.

I concur with this. The shops will both take a ~10% exchange charge (e.g. Offer ~1.20 per USD) and give you Canadian change. Credit cards are pretty much accepted anywhere.

Your best bet is to exchange a minimal amount in a bank before you arrive. You certainly won’t lose as the US dollar is between 25-30% higher in value.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You will lose 5-10% of that money, that could be used for a future cruise... don't let that happen!:') Your dollar is strong, but often our prices look higher (such as at restaurants) and often they are. I live near the border and am STILL shopping and getting deals in the US, despite the exhange rate.

We will be sailing the same itinerary September 16 from Boston. When are you leaving? Don’t forget to join the roll call for your cruise. And welcome to Cruise Critic.

We are going Sept 27, leaving from Baltimore. Figured do my research now to find best of everything. Thanks

I live just outside Saint John, NB. Most of the stores uptown where the cruise terminal is will take USD, the same goes for Halifax. If you want some Canadian cash, there are several banks near the cruise terminal as well as ATMs all over the place where you can get some CAD. Make sure to save a toonie and loonie for a souvenir :)

Looking forward to coming to see Saint John & Halifax. Thanks for the info.

Welcome to Canada! Just do what you would do in Europe or Asia..get local currency from an ATM. I do this all over the world with my debit card. It’s part of the travel experience and ,anyway you’ll love our colourful money!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Or you can use US$ and ask for US$ in exchange - does't hurt to ask.

You can ask but US$ are not that common that I would expect to be able to get change in it. Easiest way is to withdraw a few $ s from an ATM. If you use US $ at a store here you will not get as a favourable of an exchange. Imagine if i tried to use CAD $ in the US![emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Forums mobile app

You can ask but US$ are not that common that I would expect to be able to get change in it. Easiest way is to withdraw a few $ s from an ATM. If you use US $ at a store here you will not get as a favourable of an exchange. Imagine if i tried to use CAD $ in the US![emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Forums mobile app

I haven't come across a store that has a cash float in Canadian AND US dollars. Unless you are at a tourist gift stand set up right at the port, I wouldn't even ask to tell you the truth. These are real work-a-day cities and towns that happen to have cruise ships visit part of the year -- as above, I can't imagine what they'd think in Maine if I asked for my change in Canadian. ;)

Edited by Epicureangirl

You can use US currency and coin in Canada ... but your change will be in Canadian money. You don't really want that because 1) Canadian money is worth less than US money and 2) you can't use Canadian money in the US.

I was pleasantly surprised to learn that my home bank can easily provide me with Canadian money. Just yesterday I spent $247 American to buy $295 Canadian. So start with your own bank and see what they can do for you. You can travel prepared!

(y)

You can use US currency and coin in Canada ... but your change will be in Canadian money. You don't really want that because 1) Canadian money is worth less than US money and 2) you can't use Canadian money in the US.

I was pleasantly surprised to learn that my home bank can easily provide me with Canadian money. Just yesterday I spent $247 American to buy $295 Canadian. So start with your own bank and see what they can do for you. You can travel prepared!

:cool:

Point 1 is not really an issue. It is an exchange rate that floats up and down every day. Maybe by the time you take your trip it will be worth more than USD ;) They don't exchange your money at par, you will get a fair exchange rate from both Canadian and US banks -- the percentage lost over the posted rate is negligible. The exchange rate you have to worry about is from the stores if you're making a large purchase or are paying with big bills. Then you're losing a little more each time you buy something.

It is only when a currency market makes a big move (and you have a lot of foreign currency) -- then you might lose or make money by the time you exchange it back into USD. I doubt this is the case here unless they plan on buying real estate (now that would be fun!). Usually what you need in cash is pocket change if you want to try out public transit, and money to tip a valet (if you are staying in a hotel) -- almost everywhere takes credit cards.