Card and board games for family

Jadii

looking forward to having one glorious week with no electronicals for 12 yo daughter and 13 yo son. Thinking of taking a deck of cards, uno, 5 sec rule. Are there any card games or (light) board games you can recommend to play as a family?

Yahtzee! It travels well. I also always bring a deck of cards.. takes up so little room in the suitcase. Gin or rummy (or any version thereof) are good games for a thinker, and I definitely played as a 12/13 year old. I've found travel sizes of some games such as monopoly and scrabble.

Quiddler. Good word game played with cards. Kind of Scrabble with cards. Easier than Scrabble tiles to lose/spill.

Banana gram is another good family game. Played with tiles but no board needed.

Oldie but still good - Boggle.

I belong to a monthly word game group and those three are among the favorites.

I remember a Princess cruise that had at least one jigsaw puzzle on the go all the time. It was in a lounge area near the library. But we were a cruise of old folks, so maybe that was just our speed. Your library may have them - if the ship has a library.

looking forward to having one glorious week with no electronicals for 12 yo daughter and 13 yo son. Thinking of taking a deck of cards, uno, 5 sec rule. Are there any card games or (light) board games you can recommend to play as a family?

Thinking outside the box a little: maybe try a scavenger hunt (noting where you find something) or "cruise" bingo where you can mark things you see around the ship. Some ships have a "hidden coin" you can search for too.

Every year at Christmas I would by my kids new card games. We pack a couple packs every time we go on a family vacation, even now when they are adults. UNO was always our go to favorite. Others include Monopoly Deal, Sorry Revenge, Life Adventures, and just a plain deck of cards for playing Euchre.

Read elsewhere that libraries, where games usually stored, are being phased out. Why stock shelves with books that no one touches and employee "librarian" since most readers now carry their own bookstore on a Kindle.

Yes : Garbage ,a card game and Perquacky a making words game .

My 14 year old and 10 year old grand kids love both.

Just wondering if your kids are aware that there's going to be a no electronics rule during the cruise? LOL! :')

:')They think, they will be fine without them. My daughter will be fine but I don’t think my son will know what to do with himself ;p

Read elsewhere that libraries, where games usually stored, are being phased out. Why stock shelves with books that no one touches and employee "librarian" since most readers now carry their own bookstore on a Kindle.

I usually get a book from a cruise library on every cruise, and by the 2nd day there is nothing left at the library - so, somebody IS reading. There is never a librarian (on Princess or RCI ships).

Sushi Go is a great game and it comes in a small tin! So no need to worry about the box getting crushed and it will easily fit in your bags. It's a card game, very easy to understand, plays with 2-5 people, and for ages 8+.

Exploding Kittens is another game I really enjoy, however I definitely recommend looking at the cards before you purchase. There is a base set, a NSFW deck, and the "party" edition. The base set is ok for children, the party edition I think is kind of borderline, but the NSFW deck is not appropriate (if I remember correctly).

If you're not totally against using electronics during the cruise, you can purchase board games through the app store! You'll have them all right there on your phone or tablet, many of them do not require internet to use, and if the wind kicks up on deck, you haven't lost half your game.

On our last cruise with our teens, they were either with their new friends, or eating with us, watching shows with us, singing karaoke with us, hanging in lounges with us, exploring the ship with us... There really wasn’t much time for games (and my kids love board games, get a couple new ones every Christmas and my oldest is 22). Dd14 did miss curfew once playing monopoly at 1:30 am one night).