Favorite items to buy on ship or at ports?

ma23peas

I like to buy spices from the different countries we visit. Then I'm reminded of our travels when I cook with them.

I'll tell DH, the chicken has Jamaican jerk on it, and the veggies have Hawaiian salt on them. If I forget to tell him, he'll ask, where are we eating?

It's a relatively inexpensive souvenir, and they last a long time!

Note that over 80% of the true "Blue Mountain" coffee in Jamaica by contract is exported to Japan, and some is also used to make Tia Marie coffee liquor. So finding that may be difficult. What is typically sold to tourists is a lower grade or blended version that uses the same name as it comes from an approved growing region, but may not be from the specific regions in Jamaica where the reputed brand is produced. However, it is still very good.

With the skyrocketing price for pure vanilla, I try to purchase a bottle whenever we visit the Caribbean. However, it will be pricier there as well now. Perhaps the new year's crop fared better and prices will come down. Yesterday I saw a 6 ounce bottle in a grocery store in town with a price of $33. Still will not use artificial stuff.

Magnets and postcards take little room to pack. We used to try and find a book of photos, but they are too expensive and heavy now. We like to pick up a coffee mug if the ship is new to us.

• Like 1

We, and just about all of our freinds and relatives have too much "stuff" already. If we do purchase anything, it's a consumable type thing unique or typical of where we are, like coffee, spices, sauces/marinades cheese (yes, you can bring most cheeses back into the US), liquores, cookies, candy etc.

We always buy ship models on all new for us ships1ae46031fff71a8854d3b782401854df.jpg

My Son has a collection like this. He keeps his sail and sign card and displays it next to the ship model. I pick up T-shirts on the ship and some small pieces of jewelry either on the ship or at the port. I also like to pick up a small souvenir or ornament at each port. I have different things on display like a painted rock and spoon, a wooden sculpture, etc. Just something small that captures my eye to remember our trip. We do this on our land trips too. On our last land trip to North Dakota to see my son I brought home a buffalo bobble head with a North Dakota sign around its neck. I know I'm strange but its my money :). I also pick up vanilla when ever we visit Mexico.

I love this. I want to start doing it.
Thank you! It's always our very first purchase on board.

There is a thread somewhere about collecting models.

It could be a bit tough to find some models as they are only sold on board or on ebay.

We still cannot locate Celebrity Mercury as she isn't in service anymore.

Consumables. Often spices, but I like to shop the grocery stores for unique items. One port it was pineapple coconut jam. (adult)kids and I all sighed and made pouty faces when we could no longer get a smidge out of the jars. I am pretty sure that was Nassau, but it was also over 10 years ago.

I collect bookmarks made in almost any material including pewter, leather, macrame,lace, hand embroid ery etc They are available in so many tourist shops and many museum gift shops sell them.

I only buy one that is indicative of where we were traveling. I don't care that much where it is made but Do care it says or shows something of the place where I BOUGHT IT.

They pack light and are easy to get home. :)