Virgins ship interiors - what do you think?

London-Calling

I watched the reveal and to be honest was left a bit underwhelmed. I realize there is still a lot more to come. I do think the nightclub looks fantastic, and it's nice to see a return of the dedicated nightclub as many cruise lines have abandoned them in favor of "multi-use" spaces which often times don't work well.

For the moment, Celebrity Edge looks much more forward thinking to me and I'm more excited about Edge for the time being. Virgin will probably hook me though, just based on the fact it's adult only in a young and vibrant atmosphere.

The decor is certainly different and will appeal to a younger cruiser, which I think is the point. But reinventing? Same old structure of cabins with balconies, separate VIP areas, cooking class kitchen, “hip” restaurants, outdoor hangout areas, nightclub - seems like every other cruise ship. The renderings did not meet their earlier description of sleek yacht, at least to me. Still, I think they will be successful.

Maybe in-theory its good to have a cruise ship designed by people never on a cruise ship, but there are many reasons that isn't a great idea. The dinning room seems very cold, I'm not sure I'd like to spend much time there. The theater, for a ship with 2700 seems pretty small, at least in terms of capacity. Richard is a smart guy, so hopefully he will tweak these areas a bit. He needs a theme, and from these pictures, I'm not sure what that theme is.

Hmmmm. I can definitely see Virgins style shine through, but tend to agree not so revolutionary in design, at least not what they’ve e shown this far.

First impression of 'The Manor' nightclub was that it was a direct take in Royal's 'Music Hall' found onboard their new Quantum class ships. Not that that’s a bad thing....it tends to be a very popular venue and great for watching live bands and dancing.

c85f47077fdad8d19be5211452d5059c.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree the Music Hall is certainly a similar concept. I quite enjoyed the space on Quantum. I’m guessing the venue on Virgin will be more nightclub-ish with less live music but who knows?

• 3 weeks later...

I was so excited about virgin voyages until I saw the reveal. I love minimalistic design but not when it’s downright cold.

Why would they build a giant “daybed” and then face it inward towards the ship.

You would think on the top deck, the emphasis would be the ocean not a giant orgy mat. I mean seriously, who wants to lounge with 79 strangers together. Saying that, this boat does look super LGBT friendly and I’m sure they have captured that market and that might not be a bad thing. LGBT cruises are super popular and there are 100s of charters every year on the major lines for that demographic.

The dining areas (released) do not impress but the nightclub looks cool. I hope they put some decent sound and lights in it unlike any other cruise line.

Let’s see what the atrium, staterooms and other spaces look like in the coming weeks. I’m not anxious to book this just yet and will definitely try celebrity edge first.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm gonna resond in "Virgin Red", as they call it. While living in Dallas, Texas. I would fly to NYC, or LAX many times, only on Virgin. The atmosphere was very elegant, but laid back. Not to mention the customer service was EXCELLENT. I'm sorry to see that VA was bought by Alaska Airlines. I'm debating to put the $500 down payment on a cruise, not knowing where they will be calling ports on? They are sailing out of Miami, so pretty sure to some of the Islands I've been to. Or are going to within the next year?

As to the pictures, and info I've read. Loving the 18 and up only, will be a different type party atmosphere to look forward to. The layout looks very sophisticated. It has that Branson feel to it. I'm liking the top level layout, looks very cozy. For late night gazing at the stars with your other, or better half? I didn't know how to copy and paste the photos I've seen, but I need to decide quick. Cause I've got 500 bucks waiting to be deposited on some other future cruise, I'm hoping it will be with Virgin Voyages. The first ship is sailing in late 2020. And the pre-deposit space is running thin, least that's what someone told me the other day when I called.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/18511-virgin-voyages-to-close-pre-sale-early-citing-demand.html

Sorry, but I think that the 'pre-sale' ended, back in February (see link). :(

Oh no, I didn't see tha!! Thanks though! I'm not the only one who can't wait for them to set sail. Gives me more time to save, as I have a cruise booked for early 2020. Now just have to add to the $500 that is on hold for Virgin Voyages!

• 2 weeks later...

I was very excited to hear Virgin was coming out with a cruise line because I thought they would try to appeal to people in their late 20s to early 30s with no kids. I love that it is adults only but the exterior design is definitely not appealing to me. It blows my mind that they would face those daybeds inward. I also do not want to lounge out and have strangers in my space. Bring the ocean feeling inwards, dont cut yourself off from it. I'm not excited about Virgin anymore. I hope they either modify their initial plans or do something to get me excited again.

• 4 weeks later...

Mr. Branson might not want to appeal to the mass market. I guess the mass market has become so spoilt with what I have experienced to be "Walmart Class" (talking Anthem Of The Seas here...) that they think every new ship on the seas is mandatory to focus on - the mass market.

Mr. Branson appears to give a flying float about the mass market. I think he will do HIS thing and make people pay loads of money for it. And it will work.

For the interior - all the RED really is a pain in my abdomen...

Like the renderings of the outdoor spaces, though they need more pool, hot tubs, water features. Some of the interior spaces are just ok, but colors are weird like the celadon green of the test kitchen, which looks like sea sickness and unflattering to every skin tone. The night club looks like a set piece from Hotel Transylvania. I’m still at the family travel stage in life so won’t be on their ships anytime soon. However the Edge looks intriguing and can take the family.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 3 weeks later...
I was so excited about virgin voyages until I saw the reveal. I love minimalistic design but not when it’s downright cold.

Why would they build a giant “daybed” and then face it inward towards the ship.

You would think on the top deck, the emphasis would be the ocean not a giant orgy mat. I mean seriously, who wants to lounge with 79 strangers together. Saying that, this boat does look super LGBT friendly and I’m sure they have captured that market and that might not be a bad thing. LGBT cruises are super popular and there are 100s of charters every year on the major lines for that demographic.

The dining areas (released) do not impress but the nightclub looks cool. I hope they put some decent sound and lights in it unlike any other cruise line.

Let’s see what the atrium, staterooms and other spaces look like in the coming weeks. I’m not anxious to book this just yet and will definitely try celebrity edge first.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Being gay, I am not sure what you mean? I thought I have seen all the images.... Please direct me to the images that make the ship LGBT friendly, and not just modern?

Welcome, MikeW! But, rather than inviting (or encouraging) that particularly negative poster to return -- why don't you tell us what you think of what's been released, so far? :)

Sorry, I was just curious what made it LGBT.. because I could not find a thing.

I will tell you what I think - 43 years old here, with my partner for 23 years. No kids = Fantastic. I have looked at the renderings, and I see modern spaces that seems to promote people engaging with other people. Maybe I am wrong. Either way - I like it.

I would like to see more, and am looking forward to when they have a full website with deck plans, and cabin information.

I will tell you what I think - 43 years old here, with my partner for 23 years. No kids = Fantastic. I have looked at the renderings, and I see modern spaces that seems to promote people engaging with other people. Maybe I am wrong. Either way - I like it.

I would like to see more, and am looking forward to when they have a full website with deck plans, and cabin information.

From what I've seen so far -- I would agree. I particularly find the use of color in the various spaces intriguing. But, of course, the acid test will be what the cabins look like. Hope that we'll get some information on those, soon!:cool:

Sorry, I was just curious what made it LGBT.. because I could not find a thing.

I am also confused with that poster's LGBT references. I'm also gay and don't see any correlation...

Anyway, he's been consistently negative on this board. I wasn't too pleased with the way he mentioned the LGBT community in his other thread.

Either way, I love the interiors. Fresh and modern.

I am also confused with that poster's LGBT references. I'm also gay and don't see any correlation...

Anyway, he's been consistently negative on this board. I wasn't too pleased with the way he mentioned the LGBT community in his other thread.

Either way, I love the interiors. Fresh and modern.

Hi Luke! Hopefully, that particular poster is gone. Didn't sound like VV was going to be the cruiseline for him, anyway.:rolleyes:

But, moving on -- what do you want to see, in the way of cabin design? :)

Hi Luke!

But, moving on -- what do you want to see, in the way of cabin design? :)

I’d like to see something innovative.

If you’re familiar with RCI’s Quantum Class, as well as the Harmony and Symphony, they did some cool things to make better use of the space. Larger bathrooms and the closets that surround the bed and couch.

I also want to see quality materials when it comes to things like the countertops, desks, etc.

I’m hoping the cabins aren’t covered in the typical Virgin red. I’d personally stick with a lighter more neutral pallet with maybe a pop or two of red.

Luke, the last RC ship I cruised on (before jumping to X) was Liberty (Freedom Class). But, one of the things that I really liked about RC was that there was virtually NO wasted space, anywhere in their cabins. Every square inch was designed for function (and storage). And you're right -- nice counter-tops DO make a good impression, don't they? I've been in pricey cabins (and hotel rooms) where I thought: "I'm paying this much $$ for cheap quartz (or even worse -- cheap Formica)?!" And yeah -- a LOT of 'Virgin Scarlet' in the color scheme of a relatively tiny cabin -- well, I get a headache, just thinking about it, LOL! :eek:;)

I would also like to see a modern cabin. As Luke said I do like the layout of the cabins on Symphony, from pictures that I have seen. I will not know for sure, for a few more months on that. So basically a good use of space, and a color combination that might feel modern yet tropical.... but no reds. LOL

Hopefully technology will be integrated into the cabins. Whether some of us like it or not, connectivity is here to stay and of course we can always disconnect if wanting to, but I still happen to like being connected. USB connections/charging in cabin, a ship wide app to communicate with others on board, as well as review onboard bill, make dining reservations, see daily schedule, access the cabin door, order drinks on deck with an app, etc. Ok I extended that beyond the cabin.. sorry.

I do not know about anyone else, but in a standard cabin on say CCL or RCI - I have often thought.. why do I need this sitting area? I would prefer a larger bathroom with a smaller sitting area. I am not saying to get rid of the sitting area, just more of a balance.

Good quality linens & mattresses. I think CCL does a good job here, and I think that VV could even surpass that some.

That is really all I can think of right now in the cabin... I am sure more will come to me.

Mike, l love your ideas! Sadly, I am a bit of a Luddite, when it comes to hi-tech. But, the good news is: All of those things that you mentioned take up virtually no space in the cabin. So -- VV can include those things for you -- without taking anything away from my experience! :D Now, if they go so overboard that you can't turn on the lights without a smart phone....I might be in trouble!;p

And yes -- I love red -- especially Sir Richard's shade of scarlet. But, I fear that you are correct. Too much of that particular color in a small space -- like a cabin -- would give one the impression of living in a giant biohazard 'sharps' container!:eek:

As for the 'sitting area' -- I'm afraid that the only thing that I've ever used a cabin sofa for, was to pile stuff up on it, lol! So, theoretically, yes -- that space could be put to better use. :cool: